Found My "Miscarriage's" Heartbeat at 8 Weeks!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Found My "Miscarriage's" Heartbeat at 8 Weeks!

Postby jenany » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:50 pm

Hi Everyone :)

I found this wonderful site a couple of weeks ago after I got MISdiagnosed with a miscarriage. I am still in shock over the good news we got yesterday and want to encourage everyone here that there is always hope. I am going to recap my story for anyone who didn't see my original post here:

I am 46 years old, which in and of itself is already a huge risk factor. I have a beautiful 2 1/2 year old son who was born healthy and my pregnancy with him went smoothly. My husband and I really wanted to try for one more so we did. We got pregnant last year but it ended in m/c after 9 weeks. (never saw a heartbeat and the fetus showed to be no larger than 5-6 weeks -something definitely happened along the way).

We kept trying and succeeded again. My LMP was 1-13-10 and when I was in my 6th week, I went for my first ultrasound and OB visit. At first the ultrasound tech said, "I see the heartbeat", and then she kept prodding around, finally saying something to the effect of "nevermind, that's not a heartbeat .. it's the blood pumping through on of your blood vessels" .. so she kept looking for a heartbeat and never found one. She was very quiet during this time. She did tell me, however, that sometimes it's just a matter of a day or so and not to worry because they would check me again in a week. So I really wasn't concerned UNTIL I saw my OB. When he came into the exam room and said outright, "I'm a little concerned because I'd like to have seen a heartbeat at 6 1/2 weeks". I was confused. I said I JUST STARTED my 6th week but he said the gestational sac measured to be 6 weeks 4 days. He said they'd get me back for another ultrasound in a week and he also said he wanted to check my progesterone levels due to my advanced maternal age.

The next day, I called the nurse for the results of the progesterone level test and she said, "It's 8.3" .. just like that. No explanation. So I am new to all this and said, "what does that mean, exactly?" So she asked me to hold on while she asked the doctor. She came back and said, "it's good. The doctor said anything above an 8 is good." After we hung up, I went on the Internet (maybe not the best idea but I was desperate for information) and found that anything between 9-15 is considered to be LOW, not GOOD. I called the nurse back and she agreed to see if the doctor would prescribe some progesterone suppositories for me. While the nurse has me on the phone, she says, "Did the doctor talk to you about your ultrasound?" I asked her what she meant and she blurted out, "I am looking at the pictures now and I see 'white spots'. I hate to tell you this but that is not a good thing and this pregnancy probably isn't going to work out for you." I was in shock. What did "white spots" even mean??? She said something like it means there is debris in the gestational sac .. could be blood or something else. That's it. My thoughts were this: WHY DIDN'T MY DOCTOR TELL ME ABOUT THIS? That was the beginning of my despair .. that nurse should never have said anything because I found out later that the doctor was waiting and, even though things didn't look good, he wasn't ready to give up on me yet.

I was really devastated. I asked her if we could set me up for another ultrasound sooner than the following Thursday (as we had originally set up for) and she said she could get me in as soon the following Monday.

I had my second ultrasound on that Monday and things still looked bleak. No heartbeat at all and the fetus (to my untrained eye) just looked like a lifeless mass on the screen. The doctor was not in the office that day so I had to deal with that same terrible bedside manner nurse again. She told me again bluntly that the pregnancy was going to end in a miscarriage and gave me a specimen cup to bring home for when the bleeding started so I could scoop the fetal tissue out of the toilet at the appropriate time to take to them for examination. She did call my doctor on the phone while we were present in the room and he said I could wait as long as I want for the miscarriage to start OR he could do a D & C. I didn't want a D & C at that time because I'm a chicken and hate general anesthesia. Plus it's a major invasive procedure that I wanted to avoid if at all possible.

That was 1 1/2 weeks ago and it was a living nightmare. I spent every minute of every day thinking about the fact that I was going to start losing this pregnancy, which I dreaded on the one hand but also wanted to get over with on the other.

Yesterday was ultrasound day .. and I had pretty much made up my mind that I was going to schedule a D & C because the waiting had been excruciatingly difficult and I just wanted to move forward. My husband and I were in the room with the ultrasound tech and I almost didn't want to look at the monitor .. I've had nightmares about what I would see. Last time, it was just a whitish blob and, with no visible heartbeat; it just looked so ominous to me. Not to mention the fact that the nurse told me after my previous ultrasound that my baby was just an "abnormal mass of tissue". While I was laying on the table, the tech was doing her thing and all of a sudden, there is a squiggly line going across the bottom of the screen (where the heartbeat shows up when there is one). Then I heard that familiar "swoosh swoosh swoosh" sound I had heard when I was pregnant with my son .. strong and even. The tech exclaimed, "there's a heartbeat!". After she said that, pretty much everything else was a blur for me. I just started crying .. so hard, in fact, that she had to stop what she was doing for a minute because I was moving my tummy up and down with my sobbing. She was very sweet about it and when I calmed down, she did the measurements. The fetus was exactly the size it should be for where I was in the pregnancy .. 8 weeks 1 day. The fetal pole was visible as was the yolk sac, although she did say the yolk sac was a bit small. My husband says he heard her say that was normal for that stage of development but I don't remember that part. The heart rate was 157 and apparently, right on track for an 8 week old fetus.

After the shock of finding my baby was alive during the ultrasound, we went to the exam room and waited for the doctor. He walked in with a huge smile on his face .. almost a surprised look, and said "congratulations!". He told me that he had not expected to see a heartbeat but that is also the reason why he is a patient person and doesn't like to be hasty about recommending D & C's. He also told me that if he had seen that particular ultrasound without seeing the others from 1 1/2 weeks ago, he wouldn't think there was anything to worry about. However, since he has seen them, he is still a little concerned and wants to see me weekly for a while. He said that the heartbeat was a very good sign and that it upped the chances of my having a full-term baby to 95%.

He offered to let me get on progesterone if that would make me feel better but in his opinion, the level that it was at before was okay. I told him that I would make my decision based on whatever my levels are after the blood they drew that day. I am going to get those results today and will make my decision based on that. He said that at this point, using a progesterone supplement wouldn't hurt but wouldn't necessarily help, either, unless I was minus an ovary or something like that. I have friends who disagree with him on this; I just don't have enough information about it and would welcome anyone else's input here.

One interesting side note: Everyone in that office was coming up to my husband and I, congratulating us .. everyone except that nurse. She was there but avoided us like the plague.

I am still in shock right now over this; living the past 2 weeks with basically no hope of a positive outcome has been so hard. But I went in to that doctor's appointment with lots of prayers from good friends, which meant so very much. I was just clinging to my faith to get me through whatever the outcome was to be. I was prepared for the worst, hoping for a miracle but not expecting one. I want to add that I know we are not free and clear now - I know things can still go wrong and, if they do, I will be back here to share and get support. But there is something to be said for waiting ... and, in my opinion, even though it can be excruciating there is really no need to rush into getting a D & C without proof positive that the pregnancy is not viable. I hope my story has encouraged someone today -- I will keep everyone updated here as things progress.

Many blessings to you all ~
Bethany
Last edited by jenany on Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jenany
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:05 pm

Oh Bethany, I know I've congratulated you over and over at Facebook :) I am just so happy for you. I am also so glad you shared your story. You'll help so many women, I guarantee it!

and let me just say again, "Yay!!!"
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Re: Found My "Miscarriage's" Heartbeat at 8 Weeks!

Postby Jennh529 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:17 pm

I am SO happy to hear that your story ended well!! I myself am in a situation simular. I went in for my first Ultrasound on Monday, and they found a sac, but the Dr. told me that he thought it was just too early to see anything, but the sac measured around 6 weeks and that we'll do HCG bloodwork to see where we are. Yesterday I get the call that my HCG levels are 1,399 and arn't even close to doubling the way they should. Although they are increasing. (On April 12th my levels were 174, then on April 14th it was 314.) So I should be around 20,000 right now. I have another ultrasound scheduled for May 3rd (my birthday) to find out if the fetus is growing and do more bloodwork. I'm SO scared that this pregnancy is doomed to fail. But by doing some research online & reading your story and others on this site, I've been given great hope. And I wanted you to know that your story really touched me, and is helping me through his difficult time. So thank you!

Hope all is well with your pregnancy. Keep us posted!
Jennh529
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby aisha » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:31 pm

Hello Bethany,

Your story really touched my heart. I am so happy for you that finally there is E> .

Congratulations!! Please update us on your pregnancy progress :)

Jenn ~ I hope you get good news on your birthday! It would be a blessing and a wonderful gift.
Good luck!
aisha
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby jenany » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:37 pm

Jenn,

I am so happy if my story could give anyone else hope .. this website is actually what gave me that same hope when I was in "waiting mode", because God knows the OB staff didn't give me any!!

To my knowledge, they never even checked my HCG levels but they did check my progesterone levels, which (in my opinion) weren't as high as they should've been.

Even so, I am now in my 15th week of pregnancy and all ultrasounds to date have shown a healthy baby!

Whatever you do, don't let anyone talk you into giving up yet ... as they say, it's not over until it's over. You'll be in my prayers for this pregnancy to continue and for you to get some awesome news on your birthday!!

And thank you, Aisha .. I am overjoyed that my baby's heartbeat finally showed up when it did! :)8
jenany
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby babydreamin » Sat May 01, 2010 11:54 pm

Your story is truly inspiring. I was an emotional mess 3 days ago but have found a glimmer of hope after finding this site and reading about all of the misdiagnosed miscarriages. I went in at 6 weeks and 4 days and was told that there was a possibility that we may be having identical twins because I was measuring about a week behind (not knowing that this was normal for women with a titled uterus). Being that this was our second IVF attempt, I was overjoyed to finally get pregnant but utterly shocked to find out we could possibly be having twins! The nurse was puzzled because there was no HB seen via a transvaginal U/S but that I should schedule another U/S in 5 days. I came back at 7 weeks and 2 days but this time the doctor did my examination. I was so excited to see the monitor as I could actually see both structures much more clearly than the last time because they both had grown. He did the CRL measurements and they were still measuring a week behind. I went from excited (because twins were confirmed) to devastated in less than 60 seconds. My doctor pulled out the U/S wand after poking around and pressing some buttons and said, "I am sorry, but we should have seen a HB by now. There's nothing you could have done." I was so confused at first and then it finally processed in my head what he was saying, that my pregnancy was not a viable one. He even said that he was positive that is wasn't as he could see the placenta pulling away. I was told to get my blood drawn to get my HCG levels. The nurse called the next day to tell me that my HCG levels actually rose but did not increase like they should (from 22,000 to 38,000 in 5 days) and that it was not unusual for the hcg level to rise in a situation like mine. I am scheduled to return in a week's time to do another blood draw.

After crying my heart out for 2 straight days I was curious as to why there was growth but no heartbeat when I came across this site. I was uplifted from a dark place of despair to a place full of hope. I am praying for a miracle! I'll be 8 weeks and 2 days when I go back...hopefully my ending will be happy too! And even if it doesn't, I am truly grateful to everyone who has shared their stories to not give up hope! Thanks...
babydreamin
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby jenany » Sun May 02, 2010 10:06 am

I am so sorry that you got the same hopeless news as I did .. it truly is devastating when your own doctor doesn't give you hope.

I am not a medical professional but I am here to say don't give up yet -- it is my personal experience that a baby can be viable even if they don't find a hb by 7 weeks!! And the first 2 ultrasounds I had (at 6 & 7 weeks) were both transvaginal, which means they should even have been getting a better view of the fetus! Ironically, the one I had that revealed the hb at 8 weeks was just an abdominal u/s.

Please keep us posted and know that, no matter what the outcome, you are in my prayers.

Bethany

P.S. I feel I should mention that I have since left that doctor and am now with another practice for the remainder of my pregnancy. I couldn't handle the thought of ever having to deal with that cold-hearted nurse again, and I didn't need the stress it brought on just thinking about it. If you feel you need a "second opinion", that might be a good idea.
jenany
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby babydreamin » Sun May 09, 2010 6:47 pm

Just updating on what has happened in what seems like the longest week and half in the world...
I went in for my Wednesday appointment and found out it was only a blood draw. I got a call Friday morning while I was at work and the Nurse said that the doctor needed to see me that morning asap. Frantic, I asked my boss if I could leave and so I went in. I was told that my HCG levels were no going down but slightly up. He did another ultra sound and found that there was no change..."they were just hanging out." is how he put it. He didn't bother to take any measurements like he did before, the sac looked much larger but floppier looking than the last time and you could still see the two structures inside the sac...no heartbeats still. Since he was going out of town for a few weeks, he wanted to make sure he set me up with an OB/GYN to be monitored and schedule a D&C (after he suggested a week ago I just let my body take care of it naturally he wants me to get a D & C...go figure). And that was the main purpose to the emergency appointment. I did give blood again and was told that the levels were beginning to decline but that I still needed to see the doctor they set me up with next week. And so.....I wait again....still hanging on to hope while everyone says it's over...
babydreamin
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby jenany » Sun May 09, 2010 9:16 pm

In my experience, which is really all I have to go by, I want to encourage you NOT to give up. Not to give you a sense of "false hope", because I don't know how this is going to turn out, but because I know that doctors and nurses are not God. They know and see a lot but, in the end, they can't always tell you if your pregnancy is going to have a good outcome because they don't always know! I had a doctor and a nurse who would have let me schedule a D & C at 7 weeks if I had wanted it, just because they did not see my baby's heartbeat. For whatever reasons, they thought this was not a viable pregnancy. I shudder to think about that D & C now. I am going into my 17th week and starting to feel little "flutters" ... it's truly a miracle.

Thank you for the update .. my thoughts and prayers are with you. And I still think you should go seek a second opinion.
jenany
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories