Our 2nd Miracle!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Our 2nd Miracle!

Postby dani9671 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:55 pm

We had our daughter in July 2004. For the past 3 1/2 years we had been trying for another. We had 1 miscarriage due to blighted ovum and we then went through infertility treatment. We were told that it would next to impossible for us to conceive on our own or to develop a sustainable pregnancy based on the sperm and egg quality. We then went through 2 failed rounds of IVF ICSI. Our option at that point was to consider donors.
We decided to move on and be thankful for the 1 beautiful child we do have. Much to our surprise, I had not been feeling well and on 2/19/10 (4 months after our final failed IVF) I took a pregnancy test that was positive! We were shocked!! We were also concerned about another potential blighted ovum given our issues and history. 6 days later I went to my OBGYN and had an ultrasound and was told that is was indeed another blighted ovum. I was told I could have a natural miscarriarge or a D&C. 2 days later my husband and I went back and decided a D&C would be easier for us. Our D&C was scheduled for 4 days later.
Interestingly, my HCG levels continued to climb, my pregnancy symptoms continue to worsen and I had no signs of miscarriage. I decided to get a second opinion and went back to my fertility doctor to make sure the diagnosis was correct. Imagine my surprise when the technician immediately found the heartbeat which was strong at 152 bpm and confirmed I was 7 weeks, 4 days pregnant!!!!!
The next day I went back to my OBGYN and they made lots of excuses but did confirm that I have a healthy pregnancy with the normal 5% chance of miscarriage.
My message is to trust your intuition. My husband was concerned that I wanted to get a second opinion because of false hope - which was not the case - something inside of me just thought something was off. The doctor's office made a mistake - they should have never told me it was a blighted ovum and to just get a D&C. They should have checked again, before making that determination. The good news is I trusted my gut and did not make a huge mistake by having the D&C. Sometimes doctors offices make mistakes - just be 100% sure yourself before you do anything.
Good luck to all!!! We are looking forward to our second little miracle!!
dani9671
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby SusanK » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:46 pm

WOW!!!!
What a beautiful, uplifting story!!!
Im so glad you got a second opinion!

A Mother's intuition is seldom wrong.

Prayers for a healthy, problem free pregnancy

Susan:)
Mammy to 1 Son & 3 Daughters:)
♥Kyle 15♥
♥Karleigh 13♥
♥Alyshia 6♥
♥Ashleigh 3♥
5 M/C's over a span of 17 years.
<b>Last one 3rd March 2010</b>
SusanK
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby MommaVictoria » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:24 am

OMG! I almost cried when I read your story! Best of luck to you and you new baby!
MommaVictoria
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:47 pm

Oh my goodness, amazing story. Thank you for sharing it. You'll help so many women.

I just wish they would not offer D&C's for 'blighted ova' until at least 10 weeks. Even then, some women find their babies. You were just so early and it really gives me goosebumps to hear how close you were to your D&C. So glad you got that second opinion!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories