My Misdiagnosed Miscarriage

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

My Misdiagnosed Miscarriage

Postby otis86 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:53 am

During the early stages of my pregnancy, I experienced some light brown bleeding, accompanied by some small clots and light cramping. I was on Christmas holidays in another city, and I was unable to get into contact with my health care practitioner, so my husband took me straight to the local hospital to ensure that everything was ok. After waiting for 6 long hours in the waiting room, the doctor took blood tests to check my HCG levels, and arranged for a sonographer to conduct an abdominal and transvaginal ultrasound. The sonographer advised that I looked approximately 5 to 6 weeks pregnant and stated that the yolk sac looked nice and healthy. She suggested that the pregnancy looked to be ongoing.

However, blood tests came back indicating HCG levels of 14900 IU/L. The doctor immediately advised me that I was going to miscarry. She stated that the levels indicated a baby of 8 weeks, yet the ultrasound revealed minimal embryonic growth, meaning that the baby had most likely stopped growing at 5 or so weeks. She told me to expect more blood, and advised that I would miscarry in the next few days to weeks. I was absolutely heartbroken. The doctor recommended that a D&C be performed, so that it could be over and done with, as opposed to waiting it out. After she left, I told my husband that I didn't feel right about having a D&C, and suggested that my dates could be wrong. When we returned to where we were staying, I went straight onto the computer and did some research about HCG levels. I was surprised to learn that HCG levels are very broad, and my dates may very wel have been wrong. Either way, having a D&C just didn't seem right, and I wanted a second opinion.

I refused the D&C and requested another ultrasound a few days later through a different doctor. My bleeding had stopped altogether, and although my cramps still persisted, the doctor advised that early pregnancy cramps are normal as they indicate growth of the uterus. Prior to my second ultrasound I felt strangely calm - I didn't have a bad feeling about the scan at all. I think a mixture of my research on the computer and the second doctor's positive outlook assisted with my composure.

During the scan, the sonographer stated that all looked well, and she was able to locate a little heartbeat, beating strongly away :)8

I feel sick thinking about what would have happened if I had of listened to the doctor's advice and gone ahead with the D&C. To this day, I always take doctor's advice with a grain of salt, and I do my own research as well.

Unfortunately, our troubles didn't end there. A bit over a month after that ultrasound, I started bleeding heavily at home, and losing clots. The blood was bright red (apparently the worst kind you can have during pregnancy) and the clots were quite large. I was certain I was miscarrying, and we once again went to the ER, where the doctor told us that it didn't look good, and gave me some information about miscarriages. I cried on my husband's shoulder, but remembered about the positive outcome earlier in my pregnancy and tried to hold on to the hope that all would be well. An ultrasound was conducted shortly afterwards, and there on the screen was our tiny fetus, lying happily inside with a strong heartbeat. They were unable to give me an explanation of the bleeding, and they still don't know what caused it.

I went on to have a healthy pregnancy, with no further complications. My son is now 6 months old and is the most gorgeous, happy and healthy little baby. I'm so glad that I did some research after receiving my doctor's advice - I can't imagine life without my little boy!
otis86
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:33 pm

Wow, I am so glad you were not pressured into that D&C. We have seen that ER doctors are wrong quite a bit when it comes to diagnosing miscarriages. Unless there is something serious going on like an ectopic pregnancy or serious infection, women really should wait where possible and be seen later by an OB-GYN. I shudder to think how many babies are lost unintentionally in the ER.

Thank you for sharing your story! Congratulations!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Re: My Misdiagnosed Miscarriage

Postby duckie » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:26 pm

Hi,
I had my first u/s on 4th June. Tech found sac and yoke, but not embryo or hb. They also said my date was 2 weeks behind, after finding this sight this did not worry me as I has a tilted uterus! also I was told I had a large fibroid the size 10cmx10cmx11cm which did not help in clear view in the u/s. Anyway was told to wait and scheduled for u/s 2weeks later, prior to my apointed u/s dt I started spotting, just dark brown but was was still concerned so phoned my hubby and we both went to A&E. They did not seem too concerned as said cervix still closed and no blood in urine, but made me an appointment to so eraly pregnancy unit and ob the next day. I have to say the ob was brilliant, she and the u/s tech spent a long time scanning me the result was the sac had grown but still no embryo or heartbeat. The ob mentioned that after this pregnancy I should have the fibroids treated, which I do not understand as previuosly another gyn adviced not to do any thing as fibroids would not effect a pregnancy. The ob adviced me to wait and see what happened, she did think I had 60% misscarried but then also assured me she has been proven wrong and hoped she was wrong this time. I was also told if I misscarry to let it happen naturally and not to go to A&E as junior doctors may rush me to D&C and due to the fibroids cause me seriuos damage. 4 days later I started bleeding red blood and later in the evening clots and cramping, I took the pain killers as ob adviced and did not go to A&E within 4days the bleeding has stopped. I think I have misscarried and have an appointment with ob Friday 25th and will have a u/s to see if I'm still pregnant. All the signs of pregancy have gone, my taste buds are back, my breasts are no longer sore or sensative, my stomach has also gone done down slightly. The final result will be on friday to verify if I've misscarried.
duckie
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:40 pm

Duckie, let us know what you find out at that appointment. (((Hugs))) to you.
my blighted ovum scare

If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby duckie » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:33 am

Hi
I had the u/s they found the sac but its reduced in size still no embryo or heart beat. The ob says I've partically miscarried and to be prepared to misscarry again fully. I am going to allow it to happen naturally which the ob was fine about but she did say if its not happened in the next 2weeks she'd want to take medical procedure not a D&C but medical form where tablet placed internally to allow the process to happen. I learnt my fibroids have grown, they grow with the pregnancy I have 2 fibroids one is the size of a grapefruit. The fibroids are no harm to the pregnancy in fact they are protective of the sac which could be the case for not fully misscarrying. The ob was frank and said she did not think this was ever a viable pregnancy, she fine with me to let nature take its course, I have another appointment in 2weeks time for a u/s. So I am still in the wait and see zone. All pregnancy symptons have gone except for jeans/skirts/trousers dont fit anymore I cannot fasten them up, I have a silght tummy bump but I'm wering baggy tops to hide it, but It looks like their is such a thing as slightly pregnant.
duckie
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby duckie » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:40 am

I did not miss carry naturally. An u/s on Friday 09/07 still shows a sac and yoke size 8wk, but no fetus or heartbeat. I should be 16/17weeks and by this stage something should have been visible. The ob very clearly stated there is no viable pregnancy, there is no baby. I've been given Misoprostol Cytotec to take but I havent taken it yet, I have to admit I am tired and so unsure as to what I should do. Should I still wait to misscarry naturally or take the Cytotec?
duckie
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:01 pm

Cytotec is not approved to take this far along. After about eight weeks, there can be some pretty serious consequences. I'd think they'd want to do a D&C instead. This far into it, you really are at risk for a serious infection so stay on the lookout for any signs of one.

(((hugs)))
my blighted ovum scare

Kay

Postby duckie » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:37 pm

Hi Kay
Thank you for you response. Due to my fibroid which is the size of a grape fruit the ob does not want to do a d&c as it could do serious damage, also do not want me to wait to long as again could be infectious. Its a rock and a hard place
duckie
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:28 pm

Oh wow. Please, let us know what you end up doing. I am so sorry. (((hugs)))
my blighted ovum scare

Kay

Postby rosiek10 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:27 am

Hiya, ive just been reading through your story and it has only made me feel more strongly about how bad misdiagnosis is on the NHS! as a freelance journalist i want to write a feature on the subject of misdiagnosis and would really appreciate it if you could get back to me vis email about your story.
I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have on the content of the feature.

Thankyou

and you can get hold of me at rozi_xx@hotmail.co.uk or comment me through this forum!

Thanks again!

Rosie Kennedy
rosiek10
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories