My "Blighted Ovum" Is Now TWO!!!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

My "Blighted Ovum" Is Now TWO!!!

Postby winterrose982 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:01 pm

I'm Samantha, I'm 27 and SAHM to six babies. My husband is with the Army National Guard and he's been deployed since October 2007. We have a 2 year old that I was pregnant with when he deployed in '07.

Here's the thing. I have a history of miscarriage, we had several miscarriages between our 4 year old and 2 year old. Very heart-breaking to both of us. When I got pregnant with my 2 year old, I had just had a miscarriage a month before with no period in between.

This made it complicated when I had a positive pregnancy test, to figure out how far along I was. I ended up in the ER at 4.5 weeks with bleeding and cramping, where they did an ultrasound. I was told that there was "nothing" in the sac and that I was measuring almost 6 weeks. DH and I were absolutely heartbroken, especially since we'd already gotten his orders for the deployment and knew this would be our last chance to try for awhile. The ER doctor told us that day, that there also appeared to be fluid>? around the sac, which is usually an indicator of a 90% chance of miscarriage.

A week later, I see my OB/GYN, who checked my HCG levels and scheduled an U/S. My HCG levels were where I was supposed to be if I were FOUR weeks. He had me come back two days later, and they had risen, but not doubled. The ultrasound showed nothing new, other than the sac had gotten larger. The "diagnosis" at that point, was "Blighted Ovum." My doctor scheduled labs for the following week and a D&C for the week after.

The following week, my HCG levels had risen and doubled, so he sent me in for an ultrasound the day before my D&C was scheduled.

At the ultrasound, I didn't want to look, because I was devastated. But I couldn't help it when I thought my ears were playing tricks on me! I heard a heartbeat. I asked the technician if it was MY heartbeat, she was like "NO! That's your baby!". What a shock and unexpected surprise! I cried all the way home and when I showed my husband the ultrasound pic, he was just speechless and started crying too. I was right at 8 weeks, when they finally found my baby! To think, I'd been one day away from getting rid of a perfectly healthy baby!

The rest of our pregnancy was uneventful... And now we have a beautiful 2 year old son... smile
:)8 E> 8)O B) E>
winterrose982
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Rubytwo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:17 pm

What were your HCG levels? Did they almost double, or not even close? I'm going through this right now and hoping against hope that my situation will turn out like yours!
Rubytwo
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:05 pm

What a wonderful story! Thank you so much for sharing. So many women experience similar diagnoses. You'll give many women hope.

Please, thank your husband for his service for me and thank you for your sacrifices as well!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories