Hope for the Holidays

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Hope for the Holidays

Postby jleep » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:34 am

I've been reading a lot of stories for the past 2 months, if it wasn't for this website I probably wouldn't be blessed to be almost 15wks along! When I first suspected pregnancy I probably tried 6 different tests along the course of 2 weeks and they all came out negative until the final one. When I went to the OB to verfy, the results came back inconclusive. 1 week later they came back positive. According to my dates I was about 7wks and scheduled an u/s just to be sure that everything was ok b/c I have a history of gyn. problems. When DH and I arrived at the OB everything seemed normal at first. I had some spotting and brown discharge but no cramping. So I was told it was nothing to worry about. However when the doctor did the u/s she could only find an empty sac, no yolk sac, no fetal pole- nothing. She suspected a blighted ovum and told us to expect my body to figure it out on its own and miscarry. She scheduled me for a 2nd ultrasound 1 week later to determine if I should take medication or schedule a D & C. I was in such a state of shock. I started google-ing everything I could find about my situation and I found this website. I have a retroverted uterus and as the days went by I started feeling more pregnant. I read how a lot of women didn't find their fetus for a couple more weeks and that it was safe to wait up to 10 weeks and let nature take its course. Thats what we decided to do. To our surprise at our next appt. they found a healthy fetus with a strong heartbeat. I continued to have some spotting and one bout of bleeding after intercourse. But other than that everythign has been progressing on schedule! This is our first child and I have been such a mess worrying about every little pain and discomfort. It was agony waiting for results and the u/s but pay attention to your instincts and your body. Follow your heart and continue to take care of yourself. The doctors are not always right! I did and now I'll be 15 weeks on saturday.. you never know, you could be carrying a little survivor too. All my prayers to everyone that is going through what we went through. Have a healthy and happy New Year! E>
jleep
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:42 pm

Congratulations! Thank you so much for sharing your story. Unfortunately, it is a common one and until doctor's wise up and stop scaring women needlessly, your story will bring a lot of home to many, many women.

Enjoy that pregnancy and, remember, we all LOVE updates :)
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories