Think I have miscarried (????)-UPDATE: MISDIAGNOSED

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Think I have miscarried (????)-UPDATE: MISDIAGNOSED

Postby Vinny » Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:53 am

Hi

Today is the first day I feel strong enough to write this post. Three days ago, I bled thin red blood all day, was checked out by my GP who booked me in for a scan the next moring at 8.30 am, which I thought was crazyas I wanted one there and then, but then I figured, if I really am losing this baby, there is nothing we can do from here to then. Anyway, by evening I stopped bleeding. By morning I had a little brown blood, but ithe whole episode seemed to have finished. I went to the hospital for my scan - they didn't give me one - they said they were too busy, but a consultant checked me out, said that there was no way i was 13 weeks by feeling my abdomen ( which I had already told him, I think I am 9 weeks by dates, not 13 as previously thought). He then did a quick internal and said that my cervix was closed - I thought that would be a good thing. I was really encouraged that I had not passed any clots and my cervix was closed, but he diagnosed m/c anyway. I have a scan booked on monday (in two days time) which will obvoiously determine whether his diagnosis was right or wrong - do you think there is hope? :help: he just did a quick exam and then said, you have had a m/c. If you have had a similar experience, whether it ws right or wrong, could someone help me understand how he can be so quick to judge - was it the way I bled? is that a real give away that the pregnancy is gone? :help:

Thanks
Vinny
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby shaz71 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:07 am

Hi Vinny
I am sorry some slack doctor is putting you through this but how can you have a miscarriage with your cervix closed :hmmm: I hope everything goes ok on Monday will cross fingers for you...
Sharon x
shaz71
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby BusyGirl775 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:05 am

Vinny,

Boy, I'm sorry that you have had such a crazy assessment by doctors. It sure doesn't sound right. If you're indeed around 9 weeks you would be passing tissue and I think you'd know you've had a m/c. Definitely go get the scan, get a good doctor to assess you better. I'll be praying!

Hugs,
Judy :heart:
BusyGirl775
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:23 pm

Don't know if you are going through a similar situation, but when I was 12 weeks with my son, I was sitting on my sofa watching ice skating on tv (boy, I remember this all so clearly). All of a sudden, I felt like my bladder let loose but when I went in the bathroom and looked down, I was shocked to see blood everywhere. It was horrible. In the five minutes it took to get to the ER, I had bled through a maxipad and the front seat of the car. Everybody was quick to tell me this was a miscarriage. I also had to wait for an ultrasound because it was the weekend and nobody was there. And, even though my cervix was closed, I was still told that I was most likely miscarrying. Anyhow, we later found out I hadn't miscarried and I had another episode at 17 weeks that was very similar. I ended up bleeding or spotting the entire second trimester and had both the bright red blood and the brown spotting as the blood got older.

Hang in there. Bleeding does indicate a higher risk of miscarriage but everything could also be okay and it is just too soon to rule out this pregnancy.

Kay :heart:
Kay

Thank you so much

Postby Vinny » Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:27 pm

Thank you so, so much for your support, I cannot express what it means to me and thank you for your prayers too. Kay, my situation was almost identical to yours - I wasn't watcking ice skating, I was watching a UK kids programme (Balamory!) with my two year old, but the rest is right, it felt just as though I had inadvertantly wet myself! I will post on Monday to let you know how my scan went - I wish I had time to sort out private medical care, but it is the weekend etc, so the British NHS will have to do (even though it seems to have failed me dreadfully emotionally). The feeling of relief that I am not alone, even if the worst has indeed happened is incredible, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart.

Vinny :heart:

Mummy to Che Luca, 6, Logan, 5, Lachlan, 2

[/b]
Vinny
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:53 pm

Vinny, our situations certainly sound similar. I am staying hopeful here.

Let me know how the scan goes. I'll be keeping you in my prayers.

Kay

Found a Heartbeat!!!!

Postby Vinny » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:47 am

:cheer: Oh my gosh, I am not even yet back from my u/s appointment, I just had to borrow a computer to say "THEY FOUND A HEARTBEAT!" :cheer: . Not only that. they found a healthy wriggly little one in there who seems to be thriving. Thanks to your support, I didn't give up on my baby, and it's chance of surviving this bleed. I have to take it easy the next few weeks, but all seems well here for now - THANK YOU Kay, Judy and Sharon and anyone else who held us in your thoughts and prayers. I shall keep you updated! xxx
Vinny
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:32 pm

Oh Vinney, Vinney, Vinney, Vinney...

I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!! YAY!!! Your story sounded too much like mine and I was pretty hopeful for you.

oh my goodness...you've brought back such a flood of memories and emotions. I just remember bursting into tears when they found my little guy after that scare.

YAY! Now, one thing to keep in mind, if you decide to have the AFP, it'll probably come up positive because it does catch placental issues. All that will mean is just take it easy during this pregnancy and take every opportunity to just relax.

Oh, I am just so happy for you.

YAY!!! Or did I say that already???

Kay

Postby Tania3910 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:35 pm

Oh Praise the wonderful Lord God!!!!!!!! God is good. Good luck to you and may your little one continue to thrive and grow
Tania3910
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Bambi » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:52 pm

Vinney, That is great news!!!! I am so happy that they found that heartbeat! I bet you are so relieved!! Congrats!!! :yay:

Bambi
Bambi

Isabella born 10/05/05

Her first tooth popped through on Mothers Day!! :D
Bambi
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby shaz71 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:09 am

Oh Vinney!!!!!!
YESSSSSSSSS I am really pleased for you i bet you are so glad after that scare you have been through. Good for you. All the best
Sharon x
shaz71
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Back home!

Postby Vinny » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:40 am

:biggrin: I have been grinning from ear to ear! Thank you for your messages! I too burst into tears the minute they found baby, wriggling around as though nothing was wrong; my Mum came with me to the u/s as my man is away working o/s, and she was crying and saying to the sonographer "she was so sure she hadn't lost it, and none of us dared to believe her" (talking about me of course!). I will still have the AFP, as it is done as a double test in the UK, with another that tests for different abnormalities, but I shall bear in mind that I will likely get a positive, even if the baby is OK. THank you so much for your advice Kay, it's like having someone hold my hand through these emotional times! I will post soon - I have another u/s next week so fingers crossed, I will get passed the first hurdle of 12 weeks and take things from there. xxxx
Vinny
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby faerie64 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:31 am

That is bloody fantastic news!

Brilliant doctors, eh? :hmmm: :hmmm:

CONGRATULATIONS!
Lori 43, Mark 34, Jake 16, Natalie 10
Shayla Skye born 12-29-06
Me Nurse Long Time. OY!!!
faerie64
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby 4evamyangel » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:34 am

Vinny,
CONGRATS!!!!!!! That's awesome news!!!!! So happy for you!!!!!!!!!! :bananas: :bananas: :bananas: :bananas:
I can only imagine what that moment must have been like for you! Congrats again!!!! You will inspire so many with your wonderful story!

Jessica :heart:
Angel 12/15/04- B/O Twin Angels 4/28/05-2 B/O
ELIJAH born 10/14/06 @ 2:09pm 7lbs 6.5oz 20"
SAW Baby- 129BPM- EDD- 11/2/09-Praying still
http://www.babysites.com/sites/stasica/
http://www.dropshots.com/4evamyangel
4evamyangel
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Lark » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:59 pm

Oh, Vinny, what a miracle! :yay: You've given so many women so much hope with your story and your willingness to have faith and wait and hope for the best. Good luck and God bless!

Lark
Lark

Postby Mom In Waiting » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:20 pm

:yay: :yay: :yay: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Oh, Vinney, I just had to add my smilies on this one!!! What a wonderful inspiration!!! I am so happy for you and that you got to see your precious little baby!! This must have been so bittersweet for you and your Mum!!!
You will definitely give such hope to so many! Boy I can't believe how similar yours and Kay's stories are! What a miracle you have been given! Blessings to you and your baby!!! Hugs and prayers, Cyndi :heart:
Angel Baby #1 6/00 (10wks)
Angel Baby #2 1/01 (12wks)
Birth of Samuel Lee 7/26/02!!!!
Angel#3 "Jeremy" 11/04 (17wks)
Alicia Kathryn Born 7/6/06!!!!!
Mom In Waiting

Update - another u/s!!

Postby Vinny » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:09 am

Hello Everyone

Yesterday I went for another u/s to make sure everything was still alright and to do the usual 3 month checks that I never thought we would be doing! Baby is thriving in there and all is well!! I have pics that I keep looking at and finally I feel able to believe that we really are going to be OK! There is an unexplained dark patch on the ultra sound that the three consultants that were asked to have a look cannot precisely identify - they are divided as to whether it is a second sac with tiny remains of a non identical twin there, or an extremely large blood clot. At my next u/s they would expect the black mass to have thinned out if it were a blood clot so I guess we will know then, but for now, we have a healthy baby growing inside a very excited mum to be, and that's what I must focus on! Will update when I can! :biggrin: :heart:
Vinny
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby 4evamyangel » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:31 pm

Thanks for sharing! So very happy for you! Enjoy these moments, treasure them!!! What a blessing!! Keep us updated and maybe you can upload some of your pics to the site? We'd love to see your beautiful miracle!

Jessica :heart:
Angel 12/15/04- B/O Twin Angels 4/28/05-2 B/O
ELIJAH born 10/14/06 @ 2:09pm 7lbs 6.5oz 20"
SAW Baby- 129BPM- EDD- 11/2/09-Praying still
http://www.babysites.com/sites/stasica/
http://www.dropshots.com/4evamyangel
4evamyangel
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Mom In Waiting » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:02 am

Wow! That is great news, Vinney!!! I am so glad you updated us on your progress!! I will pray for you about the dark patch. I pray that if it is a blod clot that it will have begun to dissolve by your next u/s. Blessings to you and your lil one!!! :yay: Cyndi :heart:
Angel Baby #1 6/00 (10wks)
Angel Baby #2 1/01 (12wks)
Birth of Samuel Lee 7/26/02!!!!
Angel#3 "Jeremy" 11/04 (17wks)
Alicia Kathryn Born 7/6/06!!!!!
Mom In Waiting

UPDATE!- More bleeding, but all is well!

Postby Vinny » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:49 pm

Hi Guys, seems like so long ago I first logged onto this site and found the support I so desperately needed; now, I have another piece of my story to add...on Saturday (5 days ago), I started bleeding really heavily again, this tim it was clearly "old" blood by the colouring, but I was worried sick and drove straight to the hospital. To cut a long story short, I was kept in until a doctor was free to check baby's heartbeat with a doppler. He found it then sent me home to return in two days for a scan. I duly found childcare and drove to the hospital for 9 am. I waited there until they finally told me that I would be "fitted in" at 4 pm. I wasnt. The same doctor came and found baby's heartbeat again and just sent me on my way, whilst I protested loudly that I NEEDED a scan all the way to the door!

The general consensus is that I have passed the Haematoma that was seen at my twelve week scan, but the incompetence of this hospital is such that this was in fact my preliminary diagnosis and not theirs, they just simply patted me on the head and said "yes, we think so too". Anyway, all does seem to be well and I have stopped bleeding. I am seeking the advice of a different doc from a different hospital who will hopefully prove to be more competent, and I shall keep you updated, until then...bye and keep faith xxx
Vinny
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child
Next

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories