empty gestational sac measuring 15mm at 6 weeks 2 days

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

empty gestational sac measuring 15mm at 6 weeks 2 days

Postby cloud1 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:32 am

hi all,

I have been a silent reader for the past week. At 6 weeks 2 days, my scans revealed a gestational sac measuring 15mm. However the sac was empty - no yolk sac, nothing. For info, I had both an abdominal and vaginal scan and the sac measured perfectly in line with my estimated dates. I also do not have a tilted uterus. My gynae informed me that she should be seeing something within the water sac but that it might still be too early.

Confused and worried, i searched the net for info and came across the term blighted ovum - which seemed to be what I faced. I also came across this site, which was a blessing. The stories posted here gave me some hope, even though I felt that my prognosis was not good since most of the stories here involved tilted uterus and sacs measuring behind the estimated dates. I spent my days praying and talking to my unborn child.

After the most tortorous week of my life, I went for a follow up scan today at 7 weeks 2 days. To my surprise, the scan revealed a yolk sac, a peanut measuring 7 weeks 1 day, and a heartbeat! I burst out crying on the spot.

I am sharing my story in the hopes that I might reach out to anyone facing a similar situation and give them some hope as this site had given me. Do not rely too much on early scans.

Blessings to all.
cloud1
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Thank you cloud1

Postby Kbach » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:50 pm

Hi Cloud1,

I can't thank you enough for your post. I too have been a silent reader for the last few days, looking for hope and encouragement, and that is what your post gave me. I had a tv u/s at 6 weeks 6 days LMP, but 6 weeks 2 or 3 days from date of conception. The scan showed a gestational sac and yolk sac but no fetal pole. The average measurement of the gest. sac was about 1.3 cm, which measured in line with 6 weeks 2 days. My Dr. thought the sac was too small for LMP dates, but I am certain that my conception date was not 14 days after my last period but instead 18 or 19. He said either the dates could be wrong, but he doubts that, or this is an early miscarriage. I have had three prior miscarriages so I am desperately hoping it was just too early for anything to show on the u/s. Like you I do not have a tilted uterus so also have been thinking that my prognosis is not good. I will be going for another u/s in two days and am praying that there will be more visible. Thank you again for sharing your story!
Kbach
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby spike'sMa » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:44 pm

Cloud1, that is fantastic news, I'm so happy for you! Enjoy every moment (morning sickness, fat ankles....The first kick)

Very best wishes XX
spike'sMa
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:34 pm

Wonderful news! I just wish doctors wouldn't scare women so early. Many women do not see their babies until nine weeks or beyond. At only six or seven weeks, a doctor should just let their patients know it may be too early to see anything yet and they should come back at nine weeks.

Congratulations to you! Thank you so much for posting. Many women are scared much too early and you'll help give them hope.
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby cloud1 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:37 pm

hi Kbach,

I'm glad my post has helped you. Actually, during my first scan, the doc only mentioned she should be seeing a round circle at the side of the sac, I think she meant the yolk sac - she did not mention anything about a fetal pole. So, the fact that you did see a yolk sac is very good news.

Please keep your hope and spirits up, and I will be keeping you in my prayers.

Spike's Ma and Kay - thank you so much!! :)
cloud1
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kbach » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:29 am

Hi Cloud1,

Thank you so much for the prayers and encouragement. I went to my ultrasound this morning expecting the worst because last night I had a tiny bit of spotting and some mild cramping. Up until then I was trying to hold on to some hope, but after that I could not. I really wanted to cancel the u/s because I didn't want to go through the agony of it. But I went through with it, and I am so happy that I did. My Dr. did the u/s I had last week, but since he is out of the office this week the u/s tech did the one I had this morning. The first thing she zeroed in on was a heartbeat!!! I could not believe it! My husband and I were in complete shock. We were even able to listen to the heartbeat! She explored around some more and found a second empty sac. She was able to show us that we have two separate sacs, the empty one and the one with the baby. They are side by side so I had two eggs that fertilized but only one that went beyond the gestational sac stage. (That is a little confusing to me because last week I thought my Dr. mentioned seeing the yolk sac as well, but maybe he didn't, or maybe he did and now the yolk sac isn't visible?) Apparently when my Dr. did the u/s last week he found the empty sac first and did not look beyond that. Or, as the tech explained, depending on how the sacs are situated it can be difficult or even impossible to see that there is a second one. She said she has seen so many strange things in all her years of experience that she always goes looking "all the way through the uterus," and that is how she found that I have the two sacs. We were in such shock that she offered to have a Dr. come in and confirm what she found and talk to us about how this happens. Talking to that Dr. was reassuring. He basically said the same things the tech said, and he told me to expect cramping and bleeding because of the empty sac that will eventually be reabsorbed. The whole experience was a total roller coaster ride to say the least. I am thrilled at the outcome, sad about the empty sac, and so many emotions in between!

I am so grateful for you and all the women who have posted their stories on this site. Without that information I would not have had any hope in between the first and second ultrasounds. And I would not have known that so many early ultrasounds can give inaccurate or misleading information. I shudder when I think about how discouraging my Dr. was last week! He gave us so little to hang on to. It was only due to this site that I had any encouragement or hope! So thank you again!!
Kbach
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby cloud1 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:06 pm

kbach, I'm so happy for you!! enjoy your pregnancy :)O<
cloud1
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories