Just found the heartbeat after being diagnosed!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Just found the heartbeat after being diagnosed!

Postby lisamae » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:47 pm

Well, my story seems pretty standard on this site, however this site helped me get through the past week and I thought I should contribute.

After 3 positive pregnancy tests I immidiately booked an appointment at the OB. We took the first sonogram and just saw an empty sac. I measured at 5 weeks, but based on my last supposed period I should have been at 7 weeks. The doctor acted worried and ordered some HCG tests and told me to come back 2 days later.

After that I was starting to question whether or not I should tell my family, but ultimately I decdided to tell them because if anything did go wrong I would want their support. So we told the family, everyone was so excited, especially my mom.

The next day is when the bleeding started. It was like a normal start to a menstral period so there wasn't a ton of blood, but the color was bright red. I immidiately jumped on the computer and found out that the color wasn't a good sign and that any bleeding should immidiately be reported to the doctor. I called the nurse advise line, and the nurse told me that it was either implantation bleeding (which I knew only happens in the first 10-14 days on conception) or it was the start of a miscarriage. So I made a last minute appointment with the doctor that day.

The doctor did another ultrasound and nothing had changed, which he said it still could be too early to see anything so it wasn't necessarily a miscarriage yet. He did say that my HCG levels from before were not rising as much as they should be, so he was concerned with that along with the bleeding. He told me that unless my levels increase dramatically, I should expect a miscarriage. I did the HCG test that day and again a couple days later. The levels went up, but only by about 20% . It took 5 days for my levels to double from the first HCG test. I also continued bleeding like a regular period for 7 days.

The only thing that kept me going was this site. I had an empty sac, the sac wasn't measuring where it was supposed to, I was bleeding and cramping, and my HCG levels were not rising properly. I was having a textbook miscarriage. Despite all of that, I spent hours on this site and hoped that I would be one of the lucky ones to have been misdiagnosed.

I went to the doctor again today. It was a new doctor and when she came in the first thing she said was "I read your chart and I was wondering if you realized what was going on here." I told her that I had been bleeding for the past several days (however the bleeding just stopped yesterday) and that my HCG levels weren't rising as much as they would like. She said "then you realize that this pregnancy will not be carried to term?" I realized that it was a possiblity, but hearing it again from a medical professional made my heart sink. I started crying as she explained what I should expect in the coming weeks as I miscarry. She told me that I may still feel signs of pregnancy and that it was a shame that my levels didn't just decrease to give me a more definative answer. But she was sure that this pregnancy was over and wanted to do a sonogram to see how it had progressed.

Lo and behold - she was shocked to see a strong heart beat! I was in shock and was a little upset that she gave me such a grim prognosis before doing the u/s. She says that we are not out of the woods yet and that she is still concerned with the low HCG levels but that so far everything looks good!

So I had serveral miscarriage symptoms and yet the baby is doing fine. I hope that this can help someone who is in the same situation. No matter what happens, until you have undeniable proof that the pregnancy is over there is still hope!
lisamae
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Raziz » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:25 am

hi,
currently ni m about 8weeks base on my u/s scan. (base on my LMP, 23rd Aug would be 11weeks) had a slight bleeding which lasted for 3 days on 23rd Sept which i believed was implantation bleeding after which was px progestrone to stabilsed the pregnancy.

your story have in some ways given me hope. my ob/gyn had recommended that i do a D&C yesterday (9th Nov) which i declined. her reason were that my baby is not growing well and that my HCG level is not doubling like it should. no heartbeat was detected. i insist on doing another HCG test and am coming in to see her again for an u/s to check for the growth.

so after my appointment wifth her i had went to another clinic for a 2nd opinion and the ob/gyn said i could wait a maximum of 3weeks before deciding to terminate d pregnancy.

This is my 5th pregnancy. my previous 4pregnancy have been smooth sailing. all babies were delivered normally and all at full term. but they r rather small babies at birth. 2.4kg-2.6kg. all babies were delivered by d same gynae. its sad that she recommended D&C so early. anyway since all my babies were born on the small side so i believe that this baby r a late bloomer and i believe in miracle. This fri i am taking my HCG test and result would be out next Mon. Meanwhile i can only wait and see and hope that my my baby would grow.

hope like your story, my baby heartbeat could be detected during my next u/s.

all the best to you too.
Miracles do happen....
Raziz
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Raziz » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:26 am

hi,
currently ni m about 8weeks base on my u/s scan. (base on my LMP, 23rd Aug would be 11weeks) had a slight bleeding which lasted for 3 days on 23rd Sept which i believed was implantation bleeding after which was px progestrone to stabilsed the pregnancy.

your story have in some ways given me hope. my ob/gyn had recommended that i do a D&C yesterday (9th Nov) which i declined. her reason were that my baby is not growing well and that my HCG level is not doubling like it should. no heartbeat was detected. i insist on doing another HCG test and am coming in to see her again for an u/s to check for the growth.

so after my appointment wifth her i had went to another clinic for a 2nd opinion and the ob/gyn said i could wait a maximum of 3weeks before deciding to terminate d pregnancy.

This is my 5th pregnancy. my previous 4pregnancy have been smooth sailing. all babies were delivered normally and all at full term. but they r rather small babies at birth. 2.4kg-2.6kg. all babies were delivered by d same gynae. its sad that she recommended D&C so early. anyway since all my babies were born on the small side so i believe that this baby r a late bloomer and i believe in miracle. This fri i am taking my HCG test and result would be out next Mon. Meanwhile i can only wait and see and hope that my my baby would grow.

hope like your story, my baby heartbeat could be detected during my next u/s.

all the best to you too.
Miracles do happen....
Raziz
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:42 pm

Congratulations to you!

You know, I've been on this site for several years and it never ceases to amaze me how some of these posts can just bring tears to my eyes. Your post did that. Doctors need to learn a bit of patience and STOP scaring women.

Please, keep us updated on your pregnancy!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby sweetgrl83 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:37 pm

Raziz,

Hope all is well, just wondering how your hcg level test came out?

Patricia
sweetgrl83
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby DazzleDaze » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:19 pm

Thank you for posting this story!! My symptoms line up almost exactly with yours. I go in tomorrow for the 2nd HCG test...now I know that those results are not definitive. Next u/s is scheduled this Monday...We're praying for a miracle!!
~Jill (36)

Sonlight homeschooling mom to
Jessie (7), Sarah (6), Daniel (2),
Jordan (born into Heaven 2/3/10 @ 8 wks pg)
DazzleDaze
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby nathanialsmommy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:17 pm

What ever happened lisamae?
I am not sure if you check this anymore but was wondering about your outcome
nathanialsmommy
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Just found the heartbeat after being diagnosed!

Postby Alright » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:24 am

Lisamae, I am totaly inspired by your story, God is indeed amazing
Alright
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories