Blighted ovum? Uh, how about identical twins! *UPDATE*

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Blighted ovum? Uh, how about identical twins! *UPDATE*

Postby 2morekids » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:51 am

At the age of 39, with an IUD, I went to the doctor to find out why I had a positive pregnancy test. The doctor did an ultrasound and confirmed a pregnancy, but then said that it was a blighted ovum and there was no baby. I was 5 weeks along at that point. He removed the IUD and told me that I would most likely miscarry within the next few weeks. He made an appointment for 4 weeks later to come back and have a D and C if I hadn't miscarried by then. I was so sick for the entire 4 week wait. I kept thinking that this was a really cruel trick of mother nature. To be this sick and not have a baby!

I went back 4 weeks later, still sick with pregnancy symptoms and no miscarriage. It was 4 weeks of agony. I hadn't realized that I actually wanted another baby, but the thought that there may be one more baby for me to mother, drove me crazy. I visited this site often and hoped that the doctor was wrong like so many stories I had read. At the 9 week checkup the doctor had the ultrasound tech do an ultrasound "just to be sure" before they scheduled the D and C. The tech quickly found the gestational sac and then I saw it! A little gummy bear size baby with a good heartbeat! But, then the ultrasound tech said "and there's another baby." I had identical twins!!!! In that supposed empty sac! They both had good heartbeats and perfect measurements! I'm now 20 weeks along and we're having twin girls in March!

For those of you who have been diagnosed with a blighted ovum...don't give up hope. The doctor gave us the wrong diagnosis at 5 weeks. The babies were the size of a sesame seed! He couldn't possibly see them clearly! Keep hoping and praying and I truly hope you have a happy outcome!

UPDATE: My baby girls were born March 15, 2010 at 39 weeks. They each weighed 6 1/2 pounds and they were pink and healthy! What a blessing they are to our lives. We just celebrated their 1st birthday! I think back often to the day that I was supposed to have a D & E of a blighted ovum. What a tragic mistake that would have been. My best advice to you if you're going through this...get a second opinion if you don't feel good about what you're being told. MOMS KNOW!
Last edited by 2morekids on Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
2morekids
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby jo.apb » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:57 am

What a fantastic story! Love it! Congratulations on your two sticky little beans E>
Mum to Amy 17 and Sean 13
M/C Angel Baby 14th October 2009
jo.apb
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:43 pm

Oh my goodness. I went almost a month myself thinking I was miscarrying. I have so much empathy for what you went through.

Congratulations on your babies! So very exciting and I am just so happy for you. Thank you for sharing your story!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby AshleyAE » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:50 am

That is so awesome!
AshleyAE
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby PrincessLanglais » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:39 am

wow! what a great story! I have my u/s tomorrow to "check" before scheduling my d&c...i hope my story turns out as great as yours.

and I totally understand the not knowing u wanted another baby. we thought we were done having babies too, but once i found out i was pregnant and now the thought of not being makes me so sad :( i have a lil bit of hope though
"No one said it was going to be easy, just worth it"
PrincessLanglais
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby 2morekids » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:04 pm

PrincessLanglais
So, what did you find out on Monday? I am praying for you!
Jill
2morekids
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories