I almost had an abortion on ACCIDENT!!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

I almost had an abortion on ACCIDENT!!

Postby Tamaramay83 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:37 am

About two weeks ago on Monday I took an HPT and it came out positive! I took three more of the "expensive kind" (ept digital, first response, clearblue digital) with the same result. I was ecstatic to say the least!

Sidenote: We were not trying because I had recently (August) been diagnosed with heightened prolactin and told I could NOT conceive until we got my hormone levels under control. According to the doctor I wasn't ovulating at all! I started a medication on September 20 (after I conceived according to the doc) and was told it would take 6-8 weeks before I ovulated and my cycle was regulated again. Apparently they were wrong...hehehe Don't ya love it!?

Back to the story...I went to a doctor on Tuesday afternoon ( just lucked out to get a quick appt...should have been the first warning...) and anxiously waited to get everything confirmed and going! I took a urine test and of course it was + ! Because my periods have been so erratic due to my hormones I had no clue when I could have conceived. We have a very healthy sex life so there was no way to pin point exactly which day or week even! Therefore she decided to do an U/S to try and see how far along I was. We did a standard u/s first and she was unable to see anything. We then did a transvaginal u/s and she saw something! However...she said it was a "blighted ovum". The sac measured around 8 weeks and there should definitely be a baby at that point! The edges of the sac were uneven and ridged. It also looked like there was blood in the sac according to her. I was so upset! She said I should go straight to the hospital and have a D&C to prevent infection because she was 100% certain that this pregnancy was over for us.

I left upset and uneasy...I just didn't feel comfortable at all getting a D&C without a second opinion to be CERTAIN of the diagnosis. I made an Appt with a different doc that following Thursday. I went in and explained the situation to him. We did an u/s and although he saw a small sac-like thing he couldn't be sure of anything. He said if he didn't know what she saw he would say early pregnancy but knowing what she saw it could also be the gestational sac collapsing and reabsorbing into my uterus preparing for miscarriage. He didn't give much hope but wanted to do some bloodwork before saying anything either way.

We did bloodwork that night and my levels were at 1500. We did it again the next Wednesday and they had jumped to 9000! I was shocked! I honestly thought they would be dropping! Doc said not to get too excited yet because levels can continue to increase with a blighted ovum. He was very encouraging but real. We scheduled an U/S for yesterday morning and just waited. I was anxious to finally get some closure one way or another. I completely expected to go in yesterday and not see anything and move on. That wasn't the case though!!! He found my little man/princess! I don't know what the other doctor saw but it wasn't the right part of my uterus at all! Everything is perfect, textbook pregnancy as far as shape and size and everything with the gestationalal sac and yolk sac! I will see the hb and the actual baby in 2 weeks when I go back!!

I can't believe that if I had listened to the other doctor I would have aborted my perfect little angel! I am soooo excited that I listened to my heart and here I am! Not out of the woods yet (7 weeks to go) but no reason to believe everything won't go perfectly! I am 5 weeks 3 days +/- 7 days. Due June 23, 2010!
Tamaramay83
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby ashleyluvsmatt » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:55 pm

Congratulations!!! Some Dr.s are just too quick to want to do a d&c. My dr didnt push a d&c on me. I waited it out for 3 weeks then with no change except a growing empty sac i had one. This is truly a blessing. Congrats again.
*~*~Ashley~*~*
me- (25) BF Matt (27)
1 Angel Baby
ashleyluvsmatt
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Shadz » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:24 pm

Thank you
Your story gives me some hope. At my last scan (last thursday) our foetal sac was measuring 6w4d with fluid in it which the Dr said he 'believed' to be bleeding.
He didn't say we'd lost bubs but the look on his face said he didn't hold out much hope.
My HCG levels 2 weeks before the U/S were 393 and the day after the scan had risen to 27000 which we were told was a perfect rise.
More HCG tests on tuesday (2 days away) and I want so much to have hope, but I'm scared to.
Shadz
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Tamaramay83 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:22 pm

Shadz- I completely understand how scared you must be! I think for me the waiting was the hardest part. I wanted some closure either way...if the pregnancy was lost I wanted to recover and try again and if I were pregnant I wanted to move forward. This site is the first place I found when I started "googleing" different things. It really is what made me be so persistent on making sure, doing tests, and getting second opinions. I didn't have much hope, but i did feel like there was a reason that I was not at ALL satisfied with the answers I was being given. Keep reading the stories...there are some incredible things on this site.

I hope everything works out perfectly for you!! I will be praying for you and your little one. :) Keep us posted!
Tamaramay83
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Tamaramay83 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:24 pm

Ashley,

I'm from Slidell but have lived in Nashville for almost 5 years now. What part of the city are you from??? I am very sorry for your loss. I had really emotionally prepared myself for the fact that this was a baby that God needed back for some reason. Now he/she is a miracle! Thank you for the congrats! We are excited!
Tamaramay83
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Shadz » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:59 pm

Thanks Tamaramay :) I agree, waiting is one of the hardest things :)

I posted in the Introductions thread so hopefully will have a good update in a couple of days.
If our pregnancy continues we'll be due in June is well so look forward to 'hopefully' sharing miracles with you
Shadz
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:17 pm

Congratulations to you. That first doctor sounds incredibly irresponsible. I've no doubt she has ended other pregnancies too early. I am so happy you trusted your instincts. Congrats!

Please, keep us updated.
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby ashleyluvsmatt » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:21 pm

Tamaramay, I am originally from Buras, Lower Plaquemies parish. But I have lived in Harvey for about 7 years and this last year i have moved to Houma.
*~*~Ashley~*~*
me- (25) BF Matt (27)
1 Angel Baby
ashleyluvsmatt
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories