My newly defined unviable pregnancy UPDATE: MISDIAGNOSED

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

My newly defined unviable pregnancy UPDATE: MISDIAGNOSED

Postby gingerbell01 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:00 pm

Yesterday I went to an early ultrasound clinic to have a vaginal scan as a precaution to very light brown spotting I'd experienced the night before. I also got info yesterday (Wednesday) that my hcg levels were at 36,911 on Monday. I presented that to the technician hoping that would support my case. When she moved the wand around she told me what I was dreading for some reason.. there was a sac but no baby. She said due to the high hcg level she felt there should have been something seen and bluntly told me in her opinion the pregnancy was not viable. I was of course devastated and especially because she shared her own experience as having had the same scan at 6 weeks and one day and a week later found the baby. Not sure about about these ultrasound tech's bed side manners but anyway..
My doctor ordered hcg yesterday to see where it was going she claimed it was more important that it was rising properly rather than the actual number. When she called last night she told me it was at 56,000. .. She seemed to feel good about that and said that it would be odd to not have something growing in there with the number so high and rising. She said with blighted a blighted ovum, the hcg levels usually don't get this high. I was feeling better until I have read conflicting stories that it can get high and still be empty. I have decided to pass on the next vaginal ultrasound next Wednesday and wait for my abdominal one that was scheduled awhile ago just a few days later on the 31st to give it more time as possible. I am also ordered serial hcg tests so I will know every 48 hours where they are at until that ultrasound. I was also told I had a very tilted uterus and assured that had nothing to do with the non finding. I don't think I have ever felt so sad in my life especially when my body is so tired, hungry and giving me indications that I am pregnant. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be happening? Sorry for the long winded post. I just wanted to relay all the details so my situation was clear. I would appreciate (more than anything right now) responses. I feel like I am losing a chunk of my heart.. : (
gingerbell01
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby shocker » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:17 pm

I am sorry your going through this, i recently went through a blighted ovum miscarriage and looked around online a lot for answers.No-one ever measured my hcg levels but i have found that a blighted ovum can only be diagnosed when the gestational sac measures 20mm which is just before 7 weeks.I think you are completely right to wait and that is your right.I have also read that having a tilted uterus can make it harder to see the baby when its very early, my local maternity hospital told me they only do early scans on woman with a history of miscarriage as its so hard to see anything early on and they dont want to worry people.I unfortunatly had symptoms right up until a few days before my scan but assumed they were leveling off because i was in the 2nd tri when in fact my baby had gone at 8 weeks 1 day.

Wait for the scan and as crazy as it sounds just try and relax, im so sorry your going through this as i know it is utterly heartbreaking.I will keep you in my thoughts and hope you are ok :)O
14 weeks?? i dont understand
shocker
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Lillibet » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:45 am

Ginger I am so very sorry you are going through this :(O

Uncertainty like this is so heartbreaking and there is nothing like the gut-wrenching sensation that occurs when someone tells you that all may not be right with your pregnancy. Especially when there is no real warning.

There is certainly a possibility that there is still a little bean in there. There are many stories on this site where someone has had a situation not unlike yours and they've waited and found the baby given some more time.

I really hope that your story will be another such case.

I'll be thinking of you.

Lil :(O
Lil (37), DH (47)
- B/O found @ 9 wks (Feb 05), Missed M/C twins @ 8 wks (Jul 09), M/C @ 6 wks (Dec 09)
Lillibet
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby gingerbell01 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:30 pm

Thanks for the responses.. I just had a bad feeling going in that I wasn't going to see anything for whatever reason. My friend who went through the same thing cautioned me that I may not as well and not to take it to heart his soon. She went in the next week and there she was. She, however, didn't know her beta levels as I do. She was just told that it seemed like "it had died". Once again the technician has such an empathetic way of putting things.. I guess that is what is really bringing me down right now.. the tech's pessimism about what wasn't in my uterus so far.
I am also confused about the dating the pregnancy from the first day of the last period. I have a regular 28 day cycle and though I know my point of opportunity was day 14 , right in the middle of my cycle, I have heard the sperm can hang around for days and I can't be sure when I ovulated. They could have met days later. Would that affect not seeing anything so far, or does it not make that much difference?
As you can tell I am putting a lot of thought into this. The waiting is brutal.
gingerbell01
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Lillibet » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:29 am

Although my signature says "Missed M/C twins @ 8 weeks" for my last M/C that is the age that the official diagnois lists.

By the date of my last AF I thought I was much further along. My first U/S put me at 6 weeks and a few days by the sac size and I thought I was at almost 10 weeks. By the time I'd been through the wringer for another 2 scans each a week further along before it was abundantly clear things were not progressing any further they called it at 8 weeks. So even allowing that they can be a week or so out if uterus is tilted and so forth I still was struggling to account for another week or so.

But in my head it was much further along - nearly 12 weeks - which made it harder to deal with.

I have since been tracking my cycle and have found that I ovulate very late in my cycle...as late as day 21 sometimes...which is another whole week later than the textbook day 14 that so many doctors seem to insist upon for a 30-ish day cycle.

It can make a difference. Remember that the things they are measuring are incredibly small so there is some margin of error. Also if you don't know exactly when you ovulated you could be days out.

I know this must be incredibly hard for you. I really hope you get some clarity soon. With my first M/C which was a B/O I was pushed by my doctor into a D&C before I had a chance to reason it all out or do any research, while I was still in shock (the next morning). I had no symptoms, bleeding or fever and realise now I might have been weeks earlier than I had thought becuase my cycle wasn't that regular then. I really regret not asking for time to do my own research or waiting for another week or insisting on another scan. I didn't know better but that is beside the point.

I guess my main point is this:
All you can do is wait. It might not change the outcome, but it will help ensure that you can be at total peace with the outcome knowing you did everything you could to be sure.
Lil (37), DH (47)
- B/O found @ 9 wks (Feb 05), Missed M/C twins @ 8 wks (Jul 09), M/C @ 6 wks (Dec 09)
Lillibet
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby gingerbell01 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:55 pm

I will definitely wait.. I guess what is so confusing to me is the varying medical analysis on my situation. The doctor at the hospital seemed very sure things would be okay yet the midwives didn't seem convinced at all and I kind of got the feeling I was bothering them with my questions.. She reported that my hcg levels went from 56,000 on Wednesday to 71,000 on Friday.. which makes the doubling time more than four days apart. I guess if it did double in two days at this point, I would be well over 200,000 for my seventh week which seems quite high.at that point. gee, I am thinking about this alot.. The midwife said we should stop taking blood and that all that matters is what is on the ultrasound this Saturday.. I guess I was hoping that there might be a reason my body was producing so much hormone and that I might have a baby to show for it..
gingerbell01
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Lillibet » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:27 pm

I'll tell you something they told me at the hospital I went to, which is one of the leading ones in Australia for Women's and Children's issues, when we asked them about my last pregnancy when we were in the middle of it and whether there was any chance things could turn around.

They said "It isn't looking good BUT we've seen EVERYTHING before and that is why we are not prepared to tell you it is all over until we are 100% certain that it is over."

I have read lots of people's stories on this and other sites and lots of people experience conflicting medical opinions. I don't think they know as much about what happens in early preg as they would like us to believe - they operate by a series of "rules of thumb" - but as for everything else there are always exceptions to every rule.

It is an emotional roller-coaster and sometimes I think women were better off not knowing what was going on in there. Hang on to hope if you can. Everything may yet pan out ok for you and your little bean. I think it is true though that after a certain point U/S tells them more than HCG levels but exactly what that cutoff point is I don't know.

I'll be thinking about you this week.
Lil :(O
Lil (37), DH (47)
Lillibet
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby gingerbell01 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:05 pm

Thanks Lil. I really appreciate being able to bounce my thoughts off people who completely understand the upset. I often think we have too much information these days in terms of technology to investigate things. Although it can be helpful, it can certainly be a setback as well. My mother never went through this. She got pregnant and expected a baby 9 months later and that was that!
I would expect as I go through this that for anyone who has been given the potential of this sort if diagnosis, one of the hardest things to fathom is not knowing if we are pregnant or not... am I going through the motions? Am I kidding myself that there is a voice within me saying, "Hang on , I'm here!"
That is the thing about pregnancy, there are only so many ways a baby can communicate at this point.. by making you sick, achy and tired or simply by resigning to your own intuition.. for now, I'm gonna have to rely on those.
I will keep you posted and once again, thank you. It means the world to me right now. :)
gingerbell01
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

just a wee update

Postby gingerbell01 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:32 pm

Today I started bleeding a bit.. no cramps. I just wanted to empty my bladder before leaving the house and there was that very disconcerting spotting that can happen. I immediately called the midwife. She seem stumped because yesterday's beta levels came in and they are now at 106,000. That's a jump from 71,000 three days prior to. She said levels usually drop significantly and then you bleed..not continue to rise. She said there is usually some warning before the body starts to respond which is why hcg levels can be helpful at this point. A friend of mine said the day she starting to bleed with an impending miscarriage, that her levels had declined to 800..
I am going in early now to get another transvaginal ultrasound tomorrow morning because apparently they had discovered some bleeding behind the placenta. I am hoping this is why I am discovering blood now or for any another reason than what I fear the most.
I hope with every cell in my body that I see that little heartbeat tomorrow.
fingers and toes crossed...
gingerbell01
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Lillibet » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:52 pm

I'll be thinking of you Gingerbelle and hobbling around with crossed fingers and toes that everything is going to pan out just fine for you and your 'lil bean and you get to see something beautiful on the U/S.

Spotting is very stressful but not always a bad sign. Hang on.

Lil :)O
Lil (37), DH (47)
Lillibet
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

update!!!

Postby gingerbell01 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:23 pm

We have a bean with a heart beat of 150!!! I can't tell you how relieved I felt to see this. I am measuring at 7 weeks, just one day off so it goes to show 6 weeks can still be too early to detect your little one.
For anyone who has been told they should see a fetal pole with high hcg levels, just know that isn't always the case. Mine were over 50,000 on the day we only detected an empty sac.
But there he is!!! (I think it's a he) This baby just needed a little more time to grow before he could be seen.

8)O E>
gingerbell01
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby aileen » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:00 pm

wow thats awesome!
congrats!
Me (30) DH (30)
DS (6 years), DS ( 4 years), DS (2 years), DS (3 months)
4 Early Miscarriages, and 1 Stillborn twin (march 2010)
aileen
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby shocker » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:14 pm

:)8 wow that is amazing!! Congratulations yay!! Wishing you a happy and healthy 7 months!! xx
14 weeks?? i dont understand
shocker
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby fab-mom » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:45 pm

That is fantastic news!!! :)8
fab-mom
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Lillibet » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:36 pm

Gingerbelle!!!! :)8 :*( :*( B) B) :)O< :)O< :)O< :P :P :)O :)O

I am SO HAPPY to hear that you and your little bean are both doing great!! That is FANTASTIC!! Keep in touch and let us know how things go for you. :)O
Lil (37), DH (47)
Lillibet
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Shadz » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:57 pm

OMG that's such great news :)
Big Congrats and I hope the next few months are TOTALLY uneventful lol
ImageImage
Shadz
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby gingerbell01 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:46 pm

Oh geez.. well last night I was bleeding. It was red then tapered off to brown. Now it is back today. I am hoping this is due to the subchorionic hematoma that was detected via ultrasound. I pray it has nothing to do with my little embryo that I have just found and love so dearly.
I go for another ultrasound tomorrow..
gingerbell01
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby ~*AJI*~ » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:48 pm

Gingerbell I will keep you in my prayers! :H
Ariel (24)...Randy (26)*~*(4) Miscarriages (2) Ectopic Pregnancies*~*
Miracle Baby Girl HAILEE Born 11/13/2009
~*AJI*~
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby aileen » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:05 pm

Hi ginerbelle,
what a story! I just want to tell you that with my last pregnancy i bled off and on (ALOT) until about 18 weeks. At week 5 I assumed I had miscarried because i was bleeding so much. Then i continued to get sicker so i went and had my levels tested and had an u/s and 6 weeks. My levels were 20,000 and the baby looked right on 6 weeks with a heartbeat. I couldnt believe it!!!! Anyway, they said that I had a subchorionic bleed. I bled every colour possible.
Anyway, Bryson is a happy and healthy 19 month old now. You can see all my posts in the forum too.

Good luck
aileen
Me (30) DH (30)
DS (6 years), DS ( 4 years), DS (2 years), DS (3 months)
4 Early Miscarriages, and 1 Stillborn twin (march 2010)
aileen
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby shastep » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:06 pm

:)8 :)8 :)8 :)8 :)8 :)8
expecting baby #6 11-3-11
5 HH children ~ 3 Angel babies
shastep
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child