My story--small gestational sac

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

My story--small gestational sac

Postby xnwife » Fri May 15, 2009 10:39 pm

I have been wanting to be able to post a story on here for some time. This site has brought me so much hope and encouragement over the past 6 months. I have quite the pregnancy loss history and recently experienced two back to back miscarriages in January and March of this year. We were amazed to get pregnant again quickly in April.

However things were not going well despite my initial optimism and hope.
I had my first ultrasound last Monday, I should have been somewhere between 5w6d-6w3d but the ultrasound only showed a gestational sac measuring 4w2d and a yolk sac (no measurements were taken of it). The technician had very poor bedside manners, rushed through the ultrasound and basically agreed with me that it did not look good and that I should get my blood checked. No doctor was on staff to interpret the results. I refused the blood test because they usually only need it to officially diagnose a m/c so that they can do a D&C. Plus the stress of waiting for those numbers is torture. Been there done that. Needless to say I spent almost two weeks of worry waiting for a follow up ultrasound.

After my horrible experience at the OBs office, I decided to find a new doctor.

Today 11 days later, I went in to the new office. The waiting room was filled with young teen moms glowing over their ultrasound images. My old OB office took forever to fax in my paperwork so we had to sit in there hearing all the banter and I was just so tense with anxiety as I was not anticipating good news. I had done all the research and the odds were against me.

Finally they called us in (even though my paperwork had not yet arrived). She sent me straight for the ultrasound. The technician was very nice. The moment she put the probe on my belly she excitedly proclaimed "yep we have a baby and a heartbeat." Relief and joy rushed over me. It was a MIRACLE. My baby had grown 3 weeks in a matter of 11 days!!! Measuring 7w2d with a heartbeat at 159bpm. There is no other explanation other than the power of prayer. I have had tons of people praying over this pregnancy and have been on my face asking for a miracle.

God is good. I never thought I would be able to be the one to post a miracle story on here.

"For this child I prayed and the Lord hath granted me my petition which I asked of him" 1Samuel 1:27

I hope my story brings some reassurance to others going through a similar situation.
miscarriage 7weeks-09.03.05
Ethan born 08.18.06-He is my miracle from God
Blighted ovum 8weeks-01.29.09
Chemical pregnancy 03.13.09
Currently expecting another miracle due 12.30.09
xnwife
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sat May 16, 2009 1:04 am

Wonderful news! I am so sorry to hear of your other losses but so happy to hear your good news! There are numerous reasons why you could have looked so behind. First, there is always human error and if a tech is rushed, that is definitely a possibility. Also, if a woman's uterus is tilted, this happens quite a bit. When the uterus is in a more normal position later in pregnancy, dates even out. Maybe your uterus just moved a bit.

Whatever the reason (and I do believe miracles happen!), CONGRATULATIONS!!! I do hope you update occasionally.
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby xnwife » Tue May 19, 2009 11:59 pm

I do not have a tilted uterus. They have been able to get pretty clear pictures with the abdominal ultrasound starting at 5 weeks. I am pretty small framed (not as small as I used to be) but I guess that can sometimes make a difference. I asked for a vaginal ultrasound for the first appt, but she told me that she got all the measurements that she needed and then walked out of the room. I honestly think that it might have made a difference.
Here is a link to my second ultrasound pictures. The tech did not release me any pictures at my first ultrasound (usually a bad sign) but it just looked like a really small sac with a yolk sac.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b84/x ... 1242791861
xnwife
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Aria111 » Wed May 20, 2009 8:09 am

Wow!! I love reading when miscarriage diagnosis ia proven wrong! I'm so happy for you!!! :)O
----------------------------
Me:29, DH:35
M.Misc. 08/06, 13 wks
DS:11/07; Misc. 01/08, 12 wks
Aria111
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby xnwife » Fri May 29, 2009 8:05 pm

Currently 9w2d and heard the heartbeat E> via doppler! Yay!! I hope that everything continues to progress...I will keep you posted.
xnwife
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby april1979 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:13 pm

I pray that all continues to go well...what was the heartrate?
april1979
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:29 pm

Wonderful news! :)8
my blighted ovum scare

If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby motherof2 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:06 am

What wonderful news. I hate it when the medical professionals don't listen to you and think that they know best. I'm glad that you switched doctors and have people take their time with you instead of rushing you. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Linda and Jim
Healthy baby boy 2/09/02
Healthy baby boy 3/23/04
Two angel babies 1/02/08 D&C
Healthy baby girl 3/12/09
motherof2
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby xnwife » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:33 pm

The heartbeat was 168!!
xnwife
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:50 am

:)8 I bet that was one of the beautiful sounds!
my blighted ovum scare

Kay

Postby april1979 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:55 am

Sounds like all is going just fine! I am so glad to hear it!!! Please continue to keep us posted!
april1979
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby neatas » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:15 am

This website has given me so much hope. mine is measuring behind and with low HCG levels the dr's have told me it isn't likely to work out well and there is more of a chance of my pregnancy ending in miscarriage than a baby. My husband keeps me focussed and points out we are still in the game until my body decides otherwise. They already told us once there was no hope and my baby proved them wrong by having a heart beat!

Only 4 days to go until my 12 week scan, I have had plenty of morning sickness and an expanding tummy. Hopefully this means my baby is still ok! :H
Last edited by neatas on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neatas
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby xnwife » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:38 pm

neatas wrote:This website has given me so much hope. mine is measuring behind and with low HCG levels the dr's have told me it isn't likely to work out well and there is more of a chance of my pregnancy ending in miscarriage than a baby. My husband keeps me focussed and points out we are still in the game until my body decides otherwise. They already told us once there was no hope and my baby proved them wrong by having a heart beat!

I had low betas too. Hang in there.

UPDATE: I am currently 25 weeks and baby is a BOY and is measuring ahead-back to our original due date on Christmas Day (miracles DO happen)!
xnwife
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Last update!

Postby xnwife » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:57 pm

Jonathan was born healthy on December 19th after only 3 1/2 hours of labor! We barely made it to the hospital on time. He was eager to greet the world. Weighed in at 6lb 15oz and was 19inches long.
He is doing well.
xnwife
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: My story--small gestational sac

Postby Louhopeful » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:44 am

Just finished reading your story and it has given me so much hope! especially the part about growing 3weeks in 11 days! I recently had an ultrasound after having some light, brown spotting that showed that gestational sac had grown since initial scan but was only 5weeks4days when it should have been 6weeks4days. The u/s tech told me not to keep my hopes up as the pregnancy is probably no longer viable. I've been a mess for the last 3 days, i hadn't even considered that he could be wrong as I'd never heard of it before finding this site today. I haven't had any red blood at all, and haven't even had the spotting for over 24hours. I'm seeing my Dr on tuesday to check my HCG levels. My fingers are crossed and praying that everything will work out. I still feel pregnant, sore boobs, nausea etc. Thank you so much for sharing your story!

Love xx
Louhopeful
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby porchgirl75 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:01 pm

It's so nice to hear of a story so similar to mine ending happily. I just had a doctor's appt. today and my HCG level isn't going up like it should. The doctor said it is 2600. I asked what it should be and she said probably up around 65,000. They found a gestational sac that measured around 5 weeks but there was no sign of a baby. I have polycystic ovaries so my cycles are never regular. I know that it's possible I'm just not as far along. However, I lost a baby on November 27, 2010 after similar problems. After that miscarriage they did genetic testing and found out I had MTHFR mutation and my blood doesn't clot right. The doctor was optimistic that with treatment I could conceive. About 3 months after starting baby aspirin and folic acid we conceived again. Now, I'm in about the same situation that I was in just a few months ago. I read some of these stories and I am hopeful. I know God is in control and is the giver of life. My heart is heavy that I may be going through the same thing again.
porchgirl75
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby ailavajoanna » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:15 pm

Its so wonderful to hear about your happy ending and gives me great hope for the coming days ahead. I went in for an US 2 weeks ago and had a gestational sac that told us I should be 9 weeks and 2 days but there was no fetal pole in sight. I am waiting anxiously for this weekend 11/11/11 to have another US to determine if I am to be come an expectant mum again. The anxiety of waiting is unbearable and this site has given me so much hope. I have had morning sickness for the last couples of weeks so I seem to think that that is a good sign of pregnancy.

I was diagnosed with ovarian failure some years back but with God's helping Hand I conceived a little girl who was given to us on 21/03/2009 after almost 5 years of trying.

GOD IS GREAT ALL THE TIME.

THanks again for sharing your stories.
ailavajoanna
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories