Went in for D&C, came home with heartbeat!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Went in for D&C, came home with heartbeat!

Postby Sibling for Sydney » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:46 pm

Another misdiagnosed story to tell...I just hope it turns out like so many others here have!

I was doing injects/trigger/IUI with an RE, so I know exactly when I conceived (IUI and BD on July 23). I am 8.0w today. I tested positive at 12dpo and got a positive; my betas were:
13dpo=84
15dpo=195
19dpo=675
23dpo=3186
A little slow there for a while, but a nice jump into the 3,000's. I went in for u/s at 6.0w and the RE thought he saw a flicker of a hb, but I couldn't see it. He said it was still early, but he thought we were out of the woods. Baby measured 2.3mm. We scheduled a repeat at 7w just for peace of mind.

At 7.0w, there was no hb and very little growth (measured 3.0mm). RE said (nicely) that there was no hope because there was no cardiac activity and the baby was measuring 60% of full size for growth; it should be 5-6mm by now. He said I could wait it out, and if nothing happens after two weeks I should schedule a D&C. If I couldn't stand waiting, I could even call in one week to schedule the D&C. I stopped progesterone suppositories and prenatals right then and was preparing myself for the miscarriage. By yesterday my boobs were still sore, I was still tired and I was peeing constantly, which ticked me off because my body still thought I was pregnant. I called and scheduled a D&C because I don't want to wait forever for this to happen. They scheduled it for this morning.

So I took the Valium, Zithromax and the antinausea pill this morning and went in, changed into a gown, got an IV started, and then was taken back to the procedure room. The RE did an ultrasound to make sure, and he squinted, and then looked close and squinted again, and then turned the monitor towards me. We saw the baby with a heartbeat! It measured 8.3mm, so it's almost tripled in size in a week, but it's still small for its age (it measures 7w3d when I'm actually 8w0d). So we of course didn't go through with D&C. Dr. cautioned that there's not a great chance that it will result in a healthy baby, but there was one other time 12 years ago when someone came to him for D&C after their regular OB didn't see a live baby on u/s, and it turned out to have a hb and was born healthy. He said it could have been a fluke late implantation after our injects/trigger/IUI cycle. I asked if a vanishing twin could have made this baby have a little hiccup in growth, and he said it's possible but doubtful. He really has no explanation for what's happened, but since the baby is measuring so small still, he doesn't expect a good outcome. I asked if my tilted uterus could be the cause of maybe not getting a good image last week, and he said no, that would have no bearing. I will also state that the same doc did all three of my ultrasounds on the same equipment. I asked if this does go on to be a viable pg, will the baby be at increased risk for chromosomal defects, and he said no. Since I'm 41 and have had one Down Syndrome pg, I'm very concerned about this.

So after 4 m/c's - three chemicals and one loss at 12w due to T21 (3 of the m/c's in the last year), we're now back on the roller coaster ride of waiting this out. We have another u/s scheduled for next Tuesday (8w6d) to see if this is a viable pregnancy. After reading so many similar stories on this website, I have a little bit of hope!
Sibling for Sydney
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby hiddentears » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:58 am

Will be praying that everything goes wonderful for you.
hiddentears
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Krissy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:11 am

OMG!!! That is amazing!!!! I'm hoping and praying things turn out wonderfully for you!!!!
Kris (42) dh (41)
DD 11/15/98
Angel Baby 8/22/08 at 7.5 weeks

Krissy
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:49 pm

Wow, that is terrific. We are really not concerned about the baby looking behind here. That is so absolutely common even in women who have no doubt of conception dates. Seriously, the transvaginal ultrasound is NOT as accurate in the first trimester as they would lead you to believe.

So you have a child with Down Syndrome? They believed my son had DS but he ended up being born without it. As a result, though, I just have such a heart and love for these children. They are just so precious.

Keep us updated.
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby Sibling for Sydney » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:09 pm

Kay - no, we lost the baby at 12w, between having the CVS done and receiving the results. Many Down Syndrome babies are lost between 11 and 14 weeks, I learned. I believe it was a blessing that we lost him naturally instead of having to make a horrible choice after we received our results.

Regarding the ultrasound, the other two pg I've had that have made it to 8w (my DD and the May 12w loss), the baby actually was starting to look like a baby at 8w. This time it really looked like an unorganized blob with fetal activity. I was too much in shock to ask for a heartrate though. I'm on pins and needles until next Tuesday at 4 p.m. when we go again (8w6d).
Sibling for Sydney
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:02 am

I am so sorry. You've experienced so much. I'll be looking for your update this week and keeping you in my prayers.
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

good luck!!

Postby eproosow » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:28 pm

WOW!! this is great, I am so happy for you, its a very hard thing to go through.
eproosow
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories