Misdiagnosed BO, baby found at 13 weeks by TummySquirrel

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Misdiagnosed BO, baby found at 13 weeks by TummySquirrel

Postby misdiagnosed » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:50 pm

Originally posted by TummySquirrel 8/30/2004
------------------------------------------------------

I first posted this over at the babycenter.com forums, and was asked to post the story over here as well. As I think it is very important for us to reach out and let women know about these 'mistakes' in diagnoses, I eagerly agreed.

Keeping things short:

June of 1999, had my first child. No complications.

Spent many years trying to get pregnant again. June of 2003, ended up pregnant again, but this time was an incomplete pregnancy, miscarried on its own at around 8 weeks.

January of 2004, was pregnant again. Now, I got my previous month's period the day before christmas, Dec 24, so I KNEW my cycle. At about 8 weeks, had VUS and dr confirmed the pregnancy, but not much was showing. Decided to wait 2 weeks. At around 10 weeks, I started spotting and had another VUS, this time still no heartbeat, and in fact the sac looked smaller. At this time, the Dr. told me it was a BO and I would most likely miscarry again, so he gave me a 'script for a drug to help induce labor.

I took the script home, after all I was trying to get pregnant and wanted to try again as soon as possible. And I remember clearly thinking about it... thinking about what I saw on the US, and like many women here, my gut just told me to wait. After all, few weeks of waiting and letting a miscarriage happen would have been better than a lifetime of wondering "What if..." So I waited.

At 13 weeks, I went back in and told my Dr. that I couldn't take the pills, and decided to wait. He sighed and set up another VUS with the words. "We will do this to end any issues within your mind." Which really hurt, to be honest. It was almost like he was calling me crazy.

The next thing he said to me was, "To what God do you pray? Because you have a baby."

Today, I am almost at 36 weeks, and about to have a perfectly formed little baby girl. My due date calculated on the baby's size, is EXACTLY where I said it would be, meaning my period was exactly where I said it was.

I cant help but wonder, with the number of women that seem to have this problem, that if the calculations on early fetal growth are the same for every woman. My dates were right, my girl is exactly where she should be, down to the day. It was her early days as a fresh new life, that were a bit slower than expected.

With my son, 5 years ago, no early VUS was done at all. It wasn't until he was much older and they could pick up the heartbeat with the microphone was there any real honest proof that the pregnancy was true. My blood was never tested then, and I had no worries.

Seems like there are alot of women these days stressing about this number of her blood level, or that number of the baby's heartbeat.... when all we need to know is if it is a valid pregnancy, it will happen, if not, it wont.

I do hope more women read this thread, and wait... a few weeks... just to make sure. Even when you are trying hard to get pregnant, wait.
misdiagnosed
Administrator
Administrator

you have given me hope

Postby wendyh » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:17 am

Thank you so much for posting your story. It has given me hope. I go for my third U/S next week (I'll be 11 weeks, 1 day by my calculations) and I'm so hoping to see a fetus with a heartbeart. In any case, reading your story has allowed me to "function" again as I have decided not to mourn the loss until it is absolutely certain.
wendyh
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby ydthomas01 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:58 pm

these stories give me so much hope my sister says I need to get out of denial because its going to be harder for me to get over it. But I am playing the waiting game
ydthomas01
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby BabyBallew » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:14 am

Wow!!! I have read your story and must say it is remarkable. I went yesterday to the Doctor, second check after seeing different Doctor 2 weeks and 1 day ago. First Doctor couldn't see heartbeat and kept insisting that that my LPM was off even though I chart every month (I know when my periods begin and end). LMP date at this time was 6 days 1 day and Doctor was trying to tell me that I was 7 weeks 6 days, almost a 2 week difference. Decided not to return to this Doctor due to his bedside manner, scheduled another appointment with different Doctor 2 weeks and 1 day later, which was yesterday. Went to this appointment and this Doctor was a lot more willing to tell me what was going on inside. First of all, the myomectomy I had in 2005 to remove fibroid tumors has terrible scarring which is hampering the ability to view the baby clearly. He could not even get a good CRL because the image was so fuzzy. Another unpleasant occurence is that the fibroids I had removed have returned with a vengence. So while he saw the gestational sac, with the baby inside it was not clear enough to measure. He thought twice he detected heartbeat, but again was uncertain, due to scar tissue. He did warn me that there is a possibility that baby was not viable and advised me on what to expect if miscarriage commenced. Other than that I have another appointment to see him next Thursday, the 9th of October to do another ultrasound. I spent half the night crying last night, and the other half reminding myself that God's will, not mine, is what is best. Reading all the post here is quite encouraging. Thank you. God Bless.
In God I trust.
BabyBallew
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Thanks...

Postby kwliving4him » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:28 pm

I am so blessed that I have found this website and am amazed at the amount of women with stories to share.

My experience is very similar here and I am currently playing the waiting game.

Found out I was pregnant 10/27/08, I have no idea of my dates at all because I was on the pill and off the pill, and I think things got all messed up. Anyhow, my husband and I were very surprised but excited when I discovered I was prego!

Since then I have had 2 ultrasounds. First one they said everything looks good, but they could not see baby or heartbeat, just sac and yolk. They said my dates may just be behind (which I don't know them anyhow) and said come back in a week.

I went in for ultrasound #2 yesterday and everything pretty much looked the same. The Dr. I saw yesterday ( I have seen 3 of the 4 at this practice, which is frustrating), and he said he was going to go ahead and make the call that the pregnancy is not viable. He gave me all my options on how to deal with a miscarriage, but I really felt like I just needed to wait.

That is where I am now, just waiting. I called the Dr. today to let them know my decision and asked if i could schedule another blood test to check out my hcg levels to see if they are doubling. I go Monday morning and will have results by noon. I am really hoping that everything turns out alright and that things are just too early to see.

I keep thinking how Dr.'s are not God and waiting just feels like the right thing for me. Either way that it goes, I know He has a plan. If I find out that the pregnancy is fine, I think I am changing Dr.'s. I feel like they are just too quick to call these non viable pregnancies! With my first pregnancy, my doctor would not even see me until 8 weeks. I think they are jumping the gun a little now a days.

I'd appreciate your prayers and will update. I will be praying for those of you who are going through similar things right now! May the King of Kings allow peace to reign in your heart.

Kristi
God has this creation business under control...trust Him!
kwliving4him
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby faith11:1 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:42 pm

kwliving4him

I just want you to know that i am walking out something very similar to you.. The Waiting on the Lord post is mine! Read my story and posts, they are very encouraging! Remember Hebrews 11:1 and also John 10:10.
HEBREWS 11:1
faith11:1
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby kwliving4him » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:21 pm

Faith 11:1

Thank you so much! It is nice to have other sisters in Christ spurring us on.
God has this creation business under control...trust Him!
kwliving4him
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby reyna » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:38 pm

Kristi, how are you doing? Have you been back to the doctor...I'm in the same situation like yours..I'm in the waiting process, I'm 10 wks & my doctor insist on a D&C, I've decided to wait & leave it to God...Only he knows what's best & why.. I trouthly know the wait it's hard but be strong, you'll be in my prayers.
Love,
Reyna*
Please pray for us!!!
reyna
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Misdiagnosed BO, baby found at 13 weeks by TummySquirrel

Postby AshleyAE » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:29 pm

misdiagnosed wrote:Originally posted by TummySquirrel 8/30/2004

I first posted this over at the babycenter.com forums, and was asked to post the story over here as well. As I think it is very important for us to reach out and let women know about these 'mistakes' in diagnoses, I eagerly agreed.

Keeping things short:

Spent many years trying to get pregnant again. June of 2003, ended up pregnant again, but this time was an incomplete pregnancy, miscarried on its own at around 8 weeks.

January of 2004, was pregnant again. Now, I got my previous month's period the day before christmas, Dec 24, so I KNEW my cycle. At about 8 weeks, had VUS and dr confirmed the pregnancy, but not much was showing. Decided to wait 2 weeks. At around 10 weeks, I started spotting and had another VUS, this time still no heartbeat, and in fact the sac looked smaller. At this time, the Dr. told me it was a BO and I would most likely miscarry again, so he gave me a 'script for a drug to help induce labor.

I took the script home, after all I was trying to get pregnant and wanted to try again as soon as possible. And I remember clearly thinking about it... thinking about what I saw on the US, and like many women here, my gut just told me to wait. After all, few weeks of waiting and letting a miscarriage happen would have been better than a lifetime of wondering "What if..." So I waited.

At 13 weeks, I went back in and told my Dr. that I couldn't take the pills, and decided to wait. He sighed and set up another VUS with the words. "We will do this to end any issues within your mind." Which really hurt, to be honest. It was almost like he was calling me crazy.

The next thing he said to me was, "To what God do you pray? Because you have a baby."

Today, I am almost at 36 weeks, and about to have a perfectly formed little baby girl. My due date calculated on the baby's size, is EXACTLY where I said it would be, meaning my period was exactly where I said it was.

I cant help but wonder, with the number of women that seem to have this problem, that if the calculations on early fetal growth are the same for every woman. My dates were right, my girl is exactly where she should be, down to the day. It was her early days as a fresh new life, that were a bit slower than expected.

With my son, 5 years ago, no early VUS was done at all. It wasn't until he was much older and they could pick up the heartbeat with the microphone was there any real honest proof that the pregnancy was true. My blood was never tested then, and I had no worries.

Seems like there are alot of women these days stressing about this number of her blood level, or that number of the baby's heartbeat.... when all we need to know is if it is a valid pregnancy, it will happen, if not, it wont.

I do hope more women read this thread, and wait... a few weeks... just to make sure. Even when you are trying hard to get pregnant, wait.

Reading this gave me hope; I'm 12wks 2days since LMP and the doctors are insisting that I'm going to miscarry. I've been reluctant to schedule another ultrasound because I'm torn between hoping to see my baby and dreading that the doctors are right.
AshleyAE
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Lowering HCG levels/Blighted Ovum

Postby awater10 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:21 pm

Thank you so much for posting this! After reading your story, I now have more hope. At 9 1/2 weeks I starting spotting lightly after I had sex with my boyfriend but it didn't start until the next morning. I went to the emergency room and they did an u/s and a vus and said that they couldn't detect a heartbeat. They did some blood work and told me to return in two days. Yesterday (1/11/09) I returned to the ER for more blood work and they said that my HCG levels went from 12083 to 10184 and that no fetus was detected in the previous ultrasound. The doctor then told me that I may have a blighted ovum but not to schedule a D&C and to make an appointment with my OB. I now have an appointment scheduled for Thursday (1/14/09). I am still feeling my pregnancy symptoms but still spotting with no pain whatsoever. I'm not giving up on my baby. My boyfriend has so much hope that I truly believe I still have a chance. I'm still taking my prenatal vitamins and resting don't plan on stopping unless the pregnancy ends itself. Keep us in your prayers
Diagnosed with blighted ovum at 10 weeks
awater10
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby lizzersmomma » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:32 pm

Thanks for sharing, and congratulations!

Is there any point thought that it becomes "too long"?

I've been waiting to miscarry for 5 weeks. I'm nearing the end of the first trimester with no signs of miscarriage and all my symptoms increasing. There's just no visual on a baby.

I can't bare the thought that I stopped if it they were wrong, like you said, so I can't bring myself to end it. My body feels so pregnant, and it tells me I am.

My doctor and my man are telling me my body lies and I need to come to terms with this.
lizzersmomma
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby trudy9758 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:55 pm

lizzersmomma wrote:Thanks for sharing, and congratulations!

Is there any point thought that it becomes "too long"?

I've been waiting to miscarry for 5 weeks. I'm nearing the end of the first trimester with no signs of miscarriage and all my symptoms increasing. There's just no visual on a baby.

I can't bare the thought that I stopped if it they were wrong, like you said, so I can't bring myself to end it. My body feels so pregnant, and it tells me I am.

My doctor and my man are telling me my body lies and I need to come to terms with this.

Hello Lizzersmomma,

I am exactly where you are right now. My doctor told me that my baby stopped growing 4 weeks ago and that I would miscarry. I am thinking that if the baby stopped growing 4 weeks ago, shouldn't my body know this and go through the natural process by now? I am nearing my 12 weeks just like you and have no signs of miscarriage except that my breasts are no longer sore. They saw my baby on the U/S but said it measure smaller then it should at 11 weeks.

I don't want to force myself to end it as well and am in the same boat as you. Any updates on your end?

Trudy
trudy9758
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby askarklaf » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:42 am

i just want to say that m/c can take awhile sometimes. my twins died at 5 weeks, but i found out at 8 weeks. from that point on, i was waiting. still had pg symptoms. it took from the first week in january until the end of march before i started bleeding. and when it did start, i bled literally for 54 days. it was horrible. my dr did not act concerned at all, until he actually found out about it. turns out his nurse (who was fired, thankfully), never gave him my messages and decided to play dr herself. i'm still bitter about it. but it can take awhile. by the time i was done with the m/c, i was approximately a month and a half away from my due date. i know this doesn't really answer your questions, but i hope it helped, anyway.
LaRissa
askarklaf
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby tyneishadb » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:02 pm

First I would like to thank you for posting your story. I am currently in the same postion. I was diagnosed with a threatened m/c at 6 weeks in the er because they seen they gestional sac but no yolk sac. Two weeks later I went bak to the er because of light bleeding but it stoppped when I got there but still I wanted to check to make sure everything was ok. This time at 8 weeks and 6days they seen they yolk sac but no fetal pole. The doctor came in and gave me three different stories. First was I miscarried. Then she said if I didn't it was and eptopic pregnancy or I could have miscarried and gotten pregnant again right after. I was stunned and couldn't listen to this doctor who didn't even know if she was looking at my uterus on an ultrasound. I decided to wait for my doctors appointment the next week and told my doctor everything that has happened. She put me in for an ultrasound that thrusday. I went for the ultrasound and the doctor said he can see the yolk sac but can't see clearly of there was a fetal pole, so he wanted to check things out on his computer before he gave me a diagnoses. He said my doctor would be in touch with my results. The next day instead of my doctor calling she had her scheduler call to tell me she put me on her schedule for a d&c. I was very upset with this news and told her to take me off the schedule and to have my doctor call me. When she called instead of telling me what the ultrasound revealed she told me she put me on for the d&c. I told her I didn't want a d&c and I wanted to wait it out and that she never said anything about my ultrasound. Her response was very rude when she said "They didn't see anything." I couldn't take this blantant disrespect for her and decided to not only switch doctors but to also swich hospitals. I have and appointment in a week and a half to get a second opinion and at the time of my appointment I'll be 12 weeks and 5 days. I am praying that at this appointment they can see my baby and everything will be fine. I feel great with absolutly no symptoms of miscarriage. I pray all is weel. Again thank you for your inspiring story.
tyneishadb
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby lainey72 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:20 pm

Thank you for sharing your story. It does give me hope. I am supposedly 7 weeks pregnant but believe they are off on the date. This pregnancy is different from my last two. Been having mild symptoms and still have them. Ive had no bleeding or out of the ordinary.cramping, etc. I dont.have a history of miscarriages but did have gastric bypass more than two years ago. When they did the Vus they found baby, but no HB. They told me they were sorry to tell me the news & that I would miscarry on my own or they can do a D/C. Of course I was numb didnt want to believe it. Almost told them they had to be wrong but couldnt speak. The doc was nice and I think she could tell I wasnt taking news very well. So she said I can call her anytime and that she wanted to do another Vus again in two weeks. I believe in miracles and in following my intuition/having faith. I also tend to brace myself for the worst and hope for the best. If they ask me, I have decided to miscarry normally...doing otherwise just doesnt feel right to me. My family may not agree....but Im the one that has to live with my decisions. I don't want to be left wondering what if. But I was so torn after they told me (between listening to the "facts" vs my feelings).....and so my internet quest began. Finding & hearing your stories and hearing the stories from others similar to mine on the internet has been a source of relief and a blessing. I know that regardless of whatever happens I am making the right decision for me and whatever I decide - everything will be ok (including me). I know God and all are with me and will be every step of the way. Much ((((((hugsblessings&support)))))) to you and all mothers searching for guidance/assistance/resources/etc. Praying the next Vus proves them wrong.
lainey72
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby MsHopeful1 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:43 pm

Your story is helping me regain some hope and faith that perhaps my baby is alive and doing well! Around 11 weeks I had an ultrasound, they said my baby measured around 8 weeks and it was dead/failed miscarry. I did take pills to help miscarry - but it didn't work. I didn't bleed or get any cramps... Went back a week later after talking to my actual family doctor and she said that was a good sign and since I have a retroverter uterus the ultrasound is most likely wrong... he wouldn't even take me back as a patient! Going to another soon and I hope and pray for the best... Thank you for sharing!!!
MsHopeful1
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby hopefulflicker » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:14 am

MsHopeful1 wrote:Your story is helping me regain some hope and faith that perhaps my baby is alive and doing well! Around 11 weeks I had an ultrasound, they said my baby measured around 8 weeks and it was dead/failed miscarry. I did take pills to help miscarry - but it didn't work. I didn't bleed or get any cramps... Went back a week later after talking to my actual family doctor and she said that was a good sign and since I have a retroverter uterus the ultrasound is most likely wrong... he wouldn't even take me back as a patient! Going to another soon and I hope and pray for the best... Thank you for sharing!!!

I feel for you and hope you have had a happy ending - I went for a scan at 9.6 and was told by doc on an internal scan that she was concerned as the fetal pole only measured 7.5 and no heartbeat. She sent me to hospital to EPA unit when we got there only ER was available and they only do external scan and could only see sac but that could be normal as so small had to come back the next day on the 10 week mark - THe hospital also did internal but she couldnt see fetal pole at all seems to think first doc made a mistake.. I am concerned obviously for the welfare of my baby and have been told to come back november 12th to hospital but first doc's collegue who works in epa has said she'll scan me thursday so I will have some sort of idea how monday may go... after I had my first DD I was told I possibly had reversed womb and therefore possibly tilted uterus and I;m not sure can an internal scan be wrong or can it miss something.... Does anyone know??? Before I had any scan the doc had said spotting in early pregnancy can be sign of twins and now I have that comment and the fact she saw a baby and the other didnt in my head is it possible that there is two sacs one with baby and heartbeat was late devolping or my dates were off and maybe one sac that has nothing.... I've so many questions and not sure what or how to ask.... Tonight at choir rehearsal I lit two candles the first for my own unborn baby and the second for all and all I wanted was for the candle not to go out while I was there as if it was a sign by the end of rehearsal the only candle left (there had been about ten others) was my bean one and from the second I lit it it had looked like it would go out but it flickered and finally took to be a solid flame - Daft I know but just made me feel like maybe just maybe maybe my baby will be ok....
hopefulflicker
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby hopefulflicker » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:21 am

AshleyAE wrote:
misdiagnosed wrote:Originally posted by TummySquirrel 8/30/2004

Keeping things short:

Reading this gave me hope; I'm 12wks 2days since LMP and the doctors are insisting that I'm going to miscarry. I've been reluctant to schedule another ultrasound because I'm torn between hoping to see my baby and dreading that the doctors are right.

Ashley you have just given me hope thank you sooooooooo much
hopefulflicker
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby ck1152012 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:48 pm

I'm so torn between hope and false hope right now. This website is wonderful and I'm so glad to hear all these wonderful outcomes. If anything it helps to know, I'm not alone. Going through a possible miscarriage is the absolute worse and lonely feeling anyone can experience.

I found out I was pregnant 11/5/12. We had been trying for months, so we are beyond excited. I started some light brown spotting and cramping on 11/24. That Monday I went in for an transvaginal US which was only a week earlier than my original appt. At the US, they said the sac was empty and only measured about 4 1/2 to 5 weeks. I'm pretty sure of my ovulation dates which would have put me a couple weeks behind, but we were hopeful I was just off on my dates. At 5 weeks, they can't really see anything anyways in a US. They did blood work and my number were 2700, and then again on Wednesday and my numbers were 3600. They called me on Thursday and said it wasn't good my numbers hadn't doubled and that I should expect a MC. I was scheduled for another US on Thursday (yesterday) to confirm. In the meantime, I stopped bleeding completely and the cramping stopped. My breast are still sore, I'm exhausted all the time, have a very strong sense of smells, and im peeing all the time. I get up at least 2x a night to pee. I was very very hopeful for my next US.
At my appt yesterday, they could see a sac, yolk sac, but no embryo. The tech said she thought that sac had grown but then the Dr said the sac appears to be collapsing. She said I should expect a miscarriage in the next couple of weeks. She couldn't tell me when it would happen but that it shouldn't be too bad since I'm not that far along.
I was less than please with her bedside manner and she talked to me as if this was No big deal, everything would "just leave my body" and then to come back for more blood work so we can confirm everything is gone.
I go to very well respected/state of the art women's facility, so I'm just lost.
My husband has been amazing but he doesn't want me to talk about any possibility of false hope because I don't think he can stand to see me so disappointed again. I'm not sure if I can handle this waiting game emotionally but a part of me still thinks there is hope. I will post my outcome regardless of what happens. So much of what we go through seems to be us doing our own research and I'm so thankful I'm not alone.
ck1152012
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories