Found heart beat after recommended D&C

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Found heart beat after recommended D&C

Postby michelemomof3 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:09 pm

My story is definitely one of hope and miracles. I have 2 healthy little boys and so when we got pregnant, I thought it would be a normal pregnancy. I called at 6 weeks and wanted to get seen since i had a ruptured placenta with my last son and wanted them to do a quick ultrasound. Well, at 5 weeks, I was measuring more than week behind and they only found a yolk sac. They had me run 2 hcg levels 4 days apart.
I then got an urgent call from my doctor and he said my first level was 10,000 at 5 weeks and only 16,600 4 days later - he said they are not doubling enough and I should come in right away. My progestrone was 25 which was really good but he still remained very skeptical. (By the way, I have since found out that they usually double every 96 hours for over 6,000 so this was fairly common.) I had an ultrasound and the baby only grew to 5 w 3 d - and it should be 6 w 3 d - and they could only find a yolk sac.
He then took me into his office and said that with the hcg levels and the baby not growing enough, he would like to schedule a D&C since I would definitely miscarry. Through my tears I asked if he has ever seen it turn around - that the baby would "grow" a heart beat...he said in his 30 years he has never seen it and to give up hope. I told him I would not do that and scheduled another ultasound in a week with his office. I went home in tears and they wouldn't stop....logic told me to give up hope but I know that God is a God of miracles and I immediately sent out a prayer request to our church. I also asked for prayer that I would find a good 2nd opinion with a high risk doctor - I knew it would be hard without his referral but I tried.
Then, i started researching online and much to my surprise, I found thousands of stories of my exact case and the babies were fine. I had such hope and my prayers became more frequent and intense. The next day I was able to find an appointment with a well respected high risk doctor and the day after that, I was able to get an ultrasound with him directly.
I explained my situation and he was surprised at my doctor's prognosis, but said that we will take a look and see....by God's grace and His mercy, he quickly spotted the yolk sac, gestational sac, fetal pole and HEARTBEAT! He even let us hear it...it was amazing! The baby that we were told 2 days ago would die and I would miscarry was very much alive and well. Through tears of joy, my husband and I were so grateful and thankful for God breathing life into our baby. What a miracle!
Please don't give up hope - I had a tilted uterus, slow rising hcg levels, a baby one week behind in growth and no heart beat and in 2 DAYS everything changed.....please give God time...don't schedule a D&C unless it is medically necessary....let it happen naturally - that way you will know for sure that it couldn't survive. I hope my great news is a source of encouragement and strength to you today....reading other stories helped me through 2 dark days of waiting and trusting in the Lord.
michelemomof3
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:18 am

Wow, truly amazing. Most women have to wait weeks to find out they were misdiagnosed. How awesome that it only took days for you.

Please, keep us updated on you and that little one.

:)8 :P :)8
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby Lovinmom » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:59 pm

I am so happy to hear this news. Congratulations! It makes me shudder when I think of how many doctors are out there like yours who so quickly push for a D&C and give women absolutely no hope. Your high risk doctor probably had a better ultrasound machine and also could have been more skilled in locating the baby with your type of uterus. As you said, it always best to delay a D&C unless absolutely necessary. Thank God that you followed your heart and did not have that D&C. It spared your baby!

Congratulations! I wish you a wonderful rest of your pregnancy.

Lovinmom
3 angel babies in Christ's loving arms/ one possible misdiagnosis
47 yr. mom to boy twins 5 yrs., dd 18 yr. and 9 yr. Baby Michael Josiah born 6/23/08
This post for educational purpose. For diagnosis, treatment, and advice, consult a doctor.
Lovinmom

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories