My Misdiagnosed miscarriage story

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

My Misdiagnosed miscarriage story

Postby Dvoted2glo » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:55 pm

I got married early at the age of 18 and soon after got pregnant for the first time. I had all of the symptoms and a positive home pregnancy test. I made an appt with a local doctor I picked from the phone book. He confirmed I was pregnant, but after several ultrasounds, including a vaginal ultrasound, I was diagnosed with a blighted ovum/missed abortion at about 6 weeks. He scheduled me for a D&C and explained the dangers of not having one. My entire family was worried about me and encouraged me to have the D&C but I refused. I returned to him several times explaining I still felt pregnant, and he said it was normal and rescheduled my D&C and told me I should have it done asap. I decided to have a second opinion, so I went back to his office and got a copy of my medical records. I took my records with me to my new doctor, and she read over them very carefully and explained to me that my other doctor was probably right and that she would probably not find anything. She came into the exam room and the first thing she did was listened for a heartbeat, she checked my pulse and quickly informed me that the heartbeat we were hearing was NOT mine, but was infact a baby. I cried, my husband cried, and even the doctor cried. Today my 'blighted ovum' is 12 years old. She is a beautiful redhead with a gorgeous smile. I have 3 children ages 12, 7 and 4 and one more on the way. I really wish doctors would slow down and realize that every situation is different and try to be a little more caring with their patients. I think too many doctors are afraid to admit they made a mistake, or too textbook to admit that even though it doesn't make sense, it could still have a happy ending. It's not personal for doctors, but it's very personal to their patients. There's nothing worse than feeling rushed by a doctor who has no time to answer your questions. A woman holds on to every word her doctor says, and looks to them for answers, compassion, and hope; but unfortunately, in too many cases, to the doctor it's just a job and it's so much more than that for women. Had I not gone for a second opinion, there's no doubt in my mind that she would not be here with us today. Thank God for the caring doctors in this world.

E>
Dvoted2glo
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:16 pm

What a wonderful story. I know sometimes I am awed just looking at my five-year-old blighted ovum.

Thank you so much for sharing. Your story will give women hope.

I'm curious, how many weeks were you when you finally saw your baby on the ultrasound?
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby themorethemerrier » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:31 pm

"It's not personal for doctors, but it's very personal to their patients... A woman holds on to every word her doctor says, and looks to them for answers, compassion, and hope; but unfortunately, in too many cases, to the doctor it's just a job and it's so much more than that for women."

Well said! You are so very right. I think this quote should be texted to every ob/gyn in the country! Good luck on your new pg and God bless you and you family.
You can read my story of miracle triplets, loss, and, one day, new hope at
http://www.squidoo.com/pregnantwiththree
themorethemerrier
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories