My story

My story

Postby ~ADF~ » Thu May 08, 2008 10:04 am

I can't say I was "misdiagnosed" as I never got a firm diagnosis of a definite miscarriage but I thought I should still share my story as it may offer hope to others going through the same thing.

I found out I was pregnant with #3 on March 24th 2008. My first 2 pregnancies had been completely uneventful so I wasn't expecting anything to go wrong this time either. On April 3rd when I was 5w6d I was visiting a friend and started bleeding. I had 2 gushes of bright red blood which then slowed a bit to heavy spotting on my way to the ER. At the ER they checked my hcg levels which came back at 4,576, high enough for the age of the pregnancy, but on ultrasound they only saw a gestational sac and a yolk sac - no fetal pole or heartbeat. I was told that while it could be too early it was probably a blighted ovum and that there was a good possibility I would miscarry. I went home and waited all weekend for a miscarriage to start yet still hoping that I would be fine.

On April 7th I saw my OB and she did an ultrasound. It was small and very hard to see but after searching for several minutes we saw a flicker that she said "might" be a heartbeat! I was guardedly happy but still uneasy. I had another hcg done that day and the results were 11,068 after 4 days. Because they didn't go up as much as they should have for 4 days I had another blood draw 2 days later. This level came back as 15,407. While it was still increasing that wasn't anywhere near doubling and the ob said it was something to be concerned about. Once again this was a dip on the emotional rollercoaster.

3 days later I had another bloodtest which came back at 24,386, much better! My doc decided to do 1 more test 3 days after the last and it was 30,922. While I wasn't doubling still my numbers were increasing enough that the doctors were comfortable with them.

On April 15th I was scheduled for a higher level ultrasound with an ultrasound tech from my ob's office. While in the car on the way to their office I began bleeding again. Again, 2 gushes of bright red blood. This time much more than the first and it slowed but I was still having bleeding heavy enough to be considered period-like. I got to their office and we did the ultrasound and immediately saw a heartbeat! The baby had a heart rate of 138bpm and the tech said everything on the ultrasound looked good, she couldn't even find where the bleeding was coming from. There was no blood visible in the uterus and my cervix was completely closed.

While the ultrasound was reassuring it was still very scary to be bleeding again but the docs assured me that bleeding in the first trimester can be "normal" and that they felt there was no danger to the pregnancy. I went home and the bleeding stopped that night and changed to brown spotting.

Since that day I have had almost continuous very light, brown spotting. It is more like regular discharge from pregnancy tinged brown. In the last few days it has lightened considerably and almost completely stopped.

I had another ultrasound yesterday and the baby looks great. I have felt movement ( I know I'm early but it was confirmed when I felt the baby moving and watched it moving at the same time yesterday E> ) We saw the baby's head and arms and the legs. The heart rate yesterday was 170bpm.

So, for the first time in 5 weeks I feel that I can relax a little about this pregnancy and I have faith that everything is going to be just fine. I hope that this story will help others!
~ADF~
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Thu May 08, 2008 5:06 pm

I am so glad you shared your story. You may have not had the official diagnosis of miscarriage but like so many women, your doctor did frighten you with the possibility (wish they wouldn't do that). Your story will give hope to so many women.

Congratulations to you!!! Enjoy the pregnancy and I pray you have a very uneventful pregnancy from here on out :)
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby ~ADF~ » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:35 pm

I just wanted to update that we lost our son, Clark Douglas, on July 10, 2008.

The bleeding I was having was from a subchorionic hemorrhage. While these are usually relatively benign and not dangerous, ours was a severe case. My bleeding continually worsened and on July 10 my placenta abrupted when I was 20 weeks.

This board was a huge help for me when I was scared and unsure at the beginning so I wanted to post an update as to what had happened.
~ADF~
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Timewilltell » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:00 am

Oh, I am so sorry for your heartbreaking loss. I can't imagine. While I think every life is precious and so important, I think the longer we carry our babies, the more attached we become. To lose your dear son so far along is so tragic. Its so hard physically, but even more so emotionally, because I'm sure you've allowed yourself to hope and dream and make plans for this child. Know that you are truly in my prayers, even as I type this, and that I will continue to pray for peace and healing for you. If you need any support, please turn here, and let us know how you're coping.
Timewilltell
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:28 am

Oh no! I am so sorry for your loss. Losses this far along particularly tear at me. You are in my prayers and I know the prayers of many women reading your update.

(((hugs)))
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Possible Miscarriage - All Other Issues