6+6 week scan, yolk and sac seen but no baby--UPDATE

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

6+6 week scan, yolk and sac seen but no baby--UPDATE

Postby sarahs999 » Wed May 07, 2008 9:15 am

Hello,

I was very pleased to find this forum this morning; I'm really hoping someone can give me some hope. I had my first US yesterday at what I believe was 6+6. I am a high risk pregnancy as I had severe pre-eclampsia last time, so my consultant is following this pregnancy very closely. they could not see anything with an abdominal scan so I had a vaginal one; the scan operator said that there was a sac and yolk visible, and that I looked five weeks pregnant. She said that she couldn't say for sure whether this was bad news, but that I should come back in two weeks' time for another scan.

Two weeks! I'm so freaked out by this, I didn't even think I was going ot have a scan yesterday, just thought I was going for bloods and a chat. So this has really thrown me off course.

On the paper she says: Uterus anteverted. The uterus contains a gestation sac of 12 x 9 x 9mm = around 5 weeks gestation
yolk sac seen
right ovary seen
left ovary seen, corpus luteum noted.
Conclusion: the appearances are consistent with an intrauterine pregnancy, viability has not been established.

What are my chances that this pg might turn out ok? I'm so sure of my dates as I was charting and using OPKs. I had my lmp on 17 march, and I ovulated on 2 April. We have't had sex since then so it can't be a late fertilization - could it be a very late implant? I just don't understand how my dates and the scan dates could be so far out unless the pregnancy is going to fail.

Thanks for any wise words,

Sarah
Last edited by sarahs999 on Wed May 21, 2008 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
sarahs999
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Wed May 07, 2008 5:12 pm

Too early to tell what will happen. I wouldn't start worrying quite yet. Even with an anteverted uterus, not all women see heartbeats this early.

Hang in there.
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby sarahs999 » Thu May 08, 2008 11:05 am

Thanks for answering Kay. I just feel so lonely - it's great to find this forum, but in real life I can't talk to many people about this - I just get so angry when they act like it's all over. I know it doesn't look so great but I've got to try to be positive otherwise I'll just fall apart at work.
sarahs999
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Thu May 08, 2008 4:54 pm

I know. Isn't it awful? I think the three and a half weeks I went through this scare were the lonliest I have ever been through.

Sometimes it helps to find a woman on the site going through this and just email or message each other. I've seen some great friendships come from this site and what a blessing that can be.

(((hugs)))
my blighted ovum scare

If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby sarahs999 » Wed May 21, 2008 3:44 am

An update!

I went for my scan yesterday after two awful weeks of waiting and fretting, and there was my little baby with a heart pumping away! :)8

I still can't quite believe it. However, it is still measuring very behind the dates I have. I should have been 8+6, and they measure it at 6+3. Which is impossible, as it means that I wouldn't have yet been pregnant on the day I got my positive pregnancy test! My consultant says she doesn't know what this means, but that as long as the baby is growing and looks fine I shouldn't worry. So I'm now cautiously optimisitic. My next scan is at 12 weeks (by my dates) so only three weeks to wait to see how things are going.

You know, I can't help being slightly jealous of the old days. You know, when ignorance was bliss and you just got pregnant and nine months later had a baby?! No scans, no HCG levels, no worrying....

Good luck to all those needing it.

Sxx
sarahs999
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby themorethemerrier » Wed May 21, 2008 5:14 pm

A tilted uterus can skew the measurements by upwards of two weeks or more, so I wouldn't worry about that, just bask in the glow of seeing that wonderful little heartbeat! Congratulations!
themorethemerrier
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby sarahs999 » Thu May 22, 2008 2:46 am

themorethemerrier, yes, it's true but I don't have a tilted uterus, I have an anteverted uterus - forward tilting, not retroverted. So sadly I can't use that as an explanation.
sarahs999
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby themorethemerrier » Thu May 22, 2008 7:55 pm

Anteverted and retroverted uteruses are both tilted, the former is tilted forward and the latter is tilted backward. With t/v u/s either one can skew the measurements. I don't know if that is the case with you, but I'd certainly hold onto hope in that situation. U/s's simply are not 100% accurate, though dr's will never admit that. I hope this turns out for the best for you and your little one. God bless.
themorethemerrier
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Fri May 23, 2008 1:00 am

Wonderful news!!! I am just so happy that you found your little one.

And, I totally agree with the last poster. I really do not trust first trimester ultrasounds and in no way believe they are as accurate as claimed. We have story after story after story here of them being wrong.

Keep us updated. I know you weren't officially misdiagnosed but your story will give hope so I am moving it to the misdiagnosed forum.

Yay!!!
my blighted ovum scare

Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories