Baby found after being misdiagnosed

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Misdiagnosed Blighted ovum

Postby nurseervin » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:15 pm

Hi Everyone,
I was so happy when I found this site. It gave me hope. I felt in my spirit that I needed to share my story to encourage somebody else. On April 4, 2008, I received a confirmation from my OBGYN that I was pregnant-4wks. He was able to see the gestational sac. My doc had me coming in for weekly to bi-weekly appt's to assure everything was ok. At 5wks, he became alarmed because all he could see was the gestational sac. He began telling me about the possibility of a blighted ovum. I'm a registered nurse but I hadn't heard of a blighted ovum before in my life. I went and googled different sites to find out what it really was. I was devastated. When I went back to my OB at 6wks 2 days, my HCG levels were at the 14, 000 level but he told me it was not doubling and with that HCG level, he should be able to see something. He began to assess my knowledge of treatment options. I informed him that I knew he could do a D & C or use some drugs but I opted for the natural route. He told me that he saw blighted ovums in his practice at least 3-4 times a week. I thought that was odd given the fact that this is not a very common thing. I became angry and felt that God had forsaken me because I had prayed so diligently regarding this blessing. After, I got over the initial shock, I began to ask God for forgiveness and asked that not "my will" but his will be done. I had such a peace in my heart and a feeling that my baby was yet alive. I went in to my next OB appt because he wanted to see if "the process" had began. I waited on my OB 45 minutes and God just ministered to my soul and he told me that my baby was fine. Whem my doc made it in, I was all smiles. He must have thought I was the happiest blighted ovum case he had ever seen. I asked him to give me a range of how long "the process" would take. He said that he wanted to take a look at my uterus because the ranges varied. As soon as he placed the ultrasound on my belly, there "she" was. Heartbeat strong as ever. The doctor stood there in awe. I told him that I had already know that I would see my baby today. He asked me how I knew. I told him that God had already told me. Don't take one person's word for it. Go with your gut and always have a second opinion. God always has the final say. Be encouraged.
--Angela
nurseervin
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:01 pm

I am so glad you posted. I do believe this may have happened for a reason. I think more nurses and doctors need to see that miscarriages can and are misdiagnosed. The nurses and doctors we've seen on this site or who have contacted us tend to be more empathetic toward women going through miscarriage and not so quick to make a determination.

Please, keep us updated and CONGRATULATIONS!!!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby momof6 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:45 pm

You are my inspiration today! I wish I found you last night. I too have place my baby back in God's hands and have been keeping the faith. I am a RN also. You have given me hope. I am spotting even less today...next to nothing and still am feeling pregnant. Please read my post under "Thank God I found this website...." You have made my day and I am sooooo happy for you!!!!! :)8
Love,
Carmen
momof6
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Misdiagnosed Blighted ovum

Postby nurseervin » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:07 am

Thanks for all of the reply's. I will keep you updated. I also forgot to mention that a day after my OB confirmed by pregnancy I started having light pink spotting. It progressed to dark brown light bleeding (the kind of bleeding that is usually found w/ blighted ovums according to my reading). I woke up on two mornings w/ two very tiny red clots. I started reading my bible a lot more and almost everytime I would open it, I would go to the story of the woman with the issue of blood. Before, I knew it, my focus was back on God and not the situation. The bleeding stopped. I couldn't even tell you when it stopped. God is amazing. Be encouraged. :H
Angela
nurseervin
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Tashnz » Mon May 19, 2008 10:07 pm

That is an amazing story, im so happy for you!
How many weeks were you when they saw your wee bubba on the u/s?
Tashnz
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Sammy's mommy » Sun May 25, 2008 4:40 pm

I am holding on to my faith too. Thanks for your encouragement.
sammy's mommy
Sammy's mommy
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby lost angel » Sun May 25, 2008 10:15 pm

I hope everything is continuing well with you.

It is amazing how he can tell us when everything is ok, gentle reassurance and feeling of wellbeing, there is nothing else like it, it is like your own personal blessing which it is in a way I suppose....

He also tells us when something is wrong. It took me a few days to listen. When I went to my Dr saying there was a problem with baby, he disagreed at first, but knew, I knew something was wrong.

I am still working on this last loss, I give it all up too him cause sometimes its too much to bare....and it lands on me again. Work in progress.

I am not a nurse, but have unfortunately had too many things happen to me in over the last 20+ years, and now know far more than I sometimes wish I did.... But knowing and having "some" answers only help so much....

Karen
Karen, 42!, mum to 5 amazing kids!
Megan, 22, Jennifer 18, Matthew 9, Katerina 4, Nathaniel 2.
Precious Angel Baby's August 2005, & January 2008
lost angel
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:35 pm

Rachelle, hope you don't mind but I made your replies their own post in this forum. You have an awesome story of a found baby and you'll give so many women hope!

here is the link if you are looking for your post:

http://www.misdiagnosedmiscarriage.com/ ... hp?p=88525
my blighted ovum scare

If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby believingGod » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:57 pm

This website gave me the hope I needed to hold on, so if we can help more women to hold on, it is wonderful. I do know that it can be a time of such anguish when you hear that news, especially if you have lost another baby. With each day I wasn't miscarrying, and by reading your story, I had enough hope to keep going (even though I wouldn't have made a decision to do anything). And as the date for the ultrasound/D&C was approaching I was getting more nervous, but at the same time excited about the potential good news that the doctor would see. I do believe she'll never forget it--I saw the first ultrasound myself--an empty sac. But, as much as it medically made sense to take that pill to miscarry that day, I knew that I was taking away any chance of this having a different outcome if science were wrong or if God had bigger plans. And of course, I do hope now that others will be encouraged to wait to miscarry naturally, if that is indeed the outcome. I know that seems scarier to wait for it to happen, but at the same time, this story and others prove that you can't be 100% sure of the "evidence" before you--I was determined to have hope until I started bleeding. Even if for some reason down the road this baby doesn't make it--it was a beautiful sight to see that heart beating strongly in his chest as if to say--"I'm here, and I'm alive!"
hang on to your hope,
rachelle
believingGod
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Update-post blighted ovum diagnosis

Postby nurseervin » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:38 pm

Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to give you all an update and some encouragement. We are now four months pregnant. The baby is healthy and growing well. I prayed for a little girl and when I found out I was pregnant we began to call the baby "Bunny". My 9 and 7 year old boys have become quite fond of Bunny. We confirmed on yesterday that "Bunny" is indeed a little girl. We are so happy. God is awesome. Be encouraged today!! B)

God Bless You,
Angela
nurseervin
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:39 am

Well congratulations on your little girl bunny :) How very exciting. These types of updates always leave me a bit misty eyed.

:)8
my blighted ovum scare

Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories