Non-tilted uterus but baby not seen with HCGs over 50,000

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Non-tilted uterus but baby not seen with HCGs over 50,000

Postby pipersmomma13 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:00 pm

Hi, I have been reading everyones post over the last week or so as I had a u/s last week at 6wks 6 days and the dr saw the sac but did not feel she saw much else. She referred me to an u/s facility to get a better look today and I got really good news so I thought it was only fair to share it will you all in the hope that it may help others.

Here is my story:

LMP 12/29/04. As I have had a miscarriage and a ruptured ecoptic in the past my dr wanted me to go in for an early u/s on 2/14 (at which point I was 6wks 6 days according to my lmp) She did a physical exam and all seemed good. She did a transvaginal u/s and saw the sac, but nothing else. She did say her machine is an old one and that she did want to refer me to a faciity to get a better look in one week. In the mean time we would do hcg tests. She called me when both results came in and my level was really high 51,000 then 58,000. She felt this was discouraging for 2 reasons - 1 - the counts did not double and 2 - at 51000 she would have expected to see more on the u/s. I do have a great dr and I am not saying anything bad about her by the way. She said she was worried that this would not be viable pregnancy, but also said lets wait until the u/s as stranger things have happened.

I have to tell you that I thought the worst. I did not have hope when I walked into that facility this morning.

The tech did an u/s on my tummy and transvaginal afterwards. Even with the tummy one she was able to see the baby and it's heartbeat. The transvaginal gave us a better look and a heartrate of 160. My DH and I could not believe it and we both started to cry when she said "I have a heart rate." She measured the baby at 7wks 4 days which is only 2 days off and nothing really.

We spoke with the radiologist too who said things look good "Today" as ofcoure we need to find out what is going on with my hcg levels and be sure they do not go down or anything. Things can change fast in the first trimester I know.

But I just have to say - what a difference a week makes. I hope this can show you all that everyone on this board is right, sometimes the u/s are just too soon and you have to wait a bit. Also I dont have a tipped uterus so that was not the case with me.

Anyway, I wish everyone out there good luck with their pregnancies and may they have the same sort of news I got today.

Thank you all for reading my story.

Fiona
pipersmomma13
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:25 pm

Oh Fiona,

Thank you so much for sharing your story and a big YAY from me. Congratulations (time to break out my favorite smile...ah heck, this deserves two of them!) :cheer: :cheer:

We've had a number of women who were given a poor prognosis because of non-doubling numbers but at 50,000, the numbers are not supposed to double anymore. Some do but many do not and your numbers look great. Also, as you've probably read, if you have a tilted uterus, it can be quite common for doctors to not see the baby until the numbers are high. I was over 100,000 before seeing my baby - quite a difference from the maximum number of 7,000 or so I was given.

Congrats again.

Kay :heart:
Kay

Postby pipersmomma13 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:48 am

Thanks for your reply Kay.

I don't actually have a tilted uterus and that is one of the reasons I also wanted to post, so that other ladies out there, who also do not have the tilted uterus can also have hope.

I think it is great that you guys have this site, it was of great comfort to me when I was in limbo and not knowing what was going to happen with my pregnancy.

I wish everyone else the happy ending I had

Fiona
pipersmomma13
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:30 am

Oh that is awesome. I am doubly excited when I read stories that have nothing to do with a tilted uterus. We already know the tilt of the uterus accounts for so many misdiagnosed miscarriages and that it is just a matter of time before the medical community clues into it as well. I just love hearing other happy endings. I think you do realize the hope you are giving to others. Bless you for that.

Congratulations again on your soon-to-be happy ending (which will occur when you are holding that little one in your arms).

Kay :heart:
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories