Early U/S shows one thing - dates say another!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Early U/S shows one thing - dates say another!

Postby jlaboss » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:02 pm

I just found this web site today and I am so thankful that I did! I will try to keep my story concise and to the point if not short.

I have PCOS - it took me a year to get PG with my first child, Allen who is now 2. We've been trying since last Aug for #2 without much luck. My cycles are very irregular and ovulation is hit or miss. I was starting my infertility work up and waiting for my cycle to start so I could begin treatment when guess what? I got PG!

Started chekcing HCG levels which were rising nicely, just waiting for 1500 to get my frist u/s. Last week I reached 1832 and had my first u/s done. Wasn't a whole lot to see; congratulations you're having a circle! Looks like an early pregnancy, maybe 4 weeks along. But that doesn't add up with my math.

LMP 3/1/08
Intercourse 3/19/08
+ OPK 3/21/08
LP is 11 days
1st + HPT 4/4/08

On the day of my u/s I should have been 6w3d based on my LMP and a 32 day cycle or 6w0d based on an O date of 3/22/08, not 4w. I was immediately worried when the nurse kept asking if I was sure about my dates. Now I have "blighted ovum" on the brain and this has been the longest week waiting for my next u/s!

I had resigned myself to the fact that this was just a anembryonic pregnancy and that when I go in on Thurs there's still not going to be anything there and I will probably m/c any second now or require a D&C (I don't know which is worse).

After scouring the Net for info like u/s pics of blighted ovums, signs and symptoms and reading about what to expect with a m/c or D&C, I landed here and have read several stories here where 6w was just too early.

I'd like to say it's given me hope but I'm afraid to admit even that much. It was given the patience to wait until Thurs and we'll see what we'll see.

I'll let you know as I find out!

THANKS!
Jennifer
jlaboss
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby lisamtracy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:03 am

I just posted on another site about how people never had u/s this early before, and how sometimes ignorance is bliss. I think we know too much or at least doctors tell us too much.... They u/s tech I had at an imaging center said 6 and even 7 weeks is still really early for a good u/s because everything is still so small and it's likely to have more errors in u/s early on than in ones that are later in the pregnancy. I'm currently measuring 7 weeks, but should be 9 weeks according to LMP, but even so there should be some sign of a baby by 7 weeks and there isn't for me. But I'm not giving up. I'll wait and see what happens. I'm good at waiting. :D

Good Luck and I'll be looking for an update!
lisamtracy
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby jlaboss » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:32 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Yes, ignorance is bliss. When I found out I PG last time, I called my OB and they said "Congratulations your 5w pregnant and the doctor will see you when you're 10 to 12 weeks.... so we'll see you in a month!"

I felt like I was left to flounder on my own for weeks, not knowing what was normal and what wasn't, what I could and couldn't do, that sort of thing. But I never thought about a b/o or anything like that either. Maybe an u/s then would have looked like what I saw last week?

I work in medicine, in heart surgery, so I know all about knowing too much. I was tempted to weasle an u/s out of somebody at work but I decided to wait. I even had a PA ask if I wanted her to write a script to get my HCG levels checked - I declined, I just didn't want to know right now.

I made it through Tuesday. One more day to go, then it's u/s day!

Jennifer
jlaboss
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby mynameismommy2 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:21 pm

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this, just hang in there, believe me I know easier said than done.... and I know what you mean about ignorance being bliss... I have felt the same way. I go for my next appointment tomorrow morning... but I really have no idea how I made it through today, I'm a wreck! :O Good luck with your appt. on Thursday, keep us posted, I'll be thinking of you :H
mynameismommy2
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby lisamtracy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:28 pm

Please update ASAP I'm eager to hear what is going on now!! I go in tomorrow for more blood work so I will have a more definite answer Friday when the results come in.

I'm praying for you!
lisamtracy
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby jlaboss » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:33 pm

Small update!

I couldn't stand it any longer so I pulled some strings and I just met my new best friend, Candice! She works upstairs in a doc office and has an u/s machine. It's a long story how I met her a while ago, but I asked her then if I got PG would she do an u/s for me and she said sure - so I took her up on that offer!

She's 27 weeks PG herself so she understood my concern. She took a look and it has definitely changed since last week, you can see the ges sac with a yolk sac and maybe the beginnings of a fetal pole. It was a transabdominal u/s - tomorrow's is transvaginal so maybe we'll see it better.

I feel a little better now. I feel like I can walk in to tomorrows visit a little more calmly now. She said I could come back in a few weeks too.

I make jewelry so I am going to HAVE to make her something!

Jennifer
jlaboss
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby mynameismommy2 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:48 pm

oh yay! that was great of her to do for you! I bet that helped ease your mind, at least a little bit. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.... good luck tomorrow, make sure you post an update, I'll be thinking about you!
mynameismommy2
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

We have a HB!

Postby jlaboss » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:45 pm

I had my u/s this morning and I went in not expecting a HB, just a yolk sac and progress. The PA expected a HB. To my surprise, there is was - two little blinking pixels - a heartbeat!

We saw the yolk sac, fetal pole, and a HB. Last week I was 4w and 6 days later I'm 6w1d - go figure. How do you catch up that fast? Why does none of this jive with my LMP or O date?

I don't know - but my conclusion is that early u/s are bad news. It's just too early see anything and it worries too many people.

Miscarriages happen and to be happy one moment and bleeding the next is terrible, but to be walking around in dread and worry and then start bleeding just draws out the agony.

Meanwhile I should be totally at ease, but I am still a little nervous.

Jennifer
jlaboss
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby starlight » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:25 pm

:)8 B) :)8 congrats on seeing the hb. that's wonderful. i hope the rest of your 1st trimester is peaceful and pleasant. keep us updated.

oh and i agree with you - early u/s are no good
starlight
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby mynameismommy2 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:42 pm

Jennifer that's wonderful news!!! :)8 That sure is a good sign that you saw a heart beat today E> Congratulations! I'm very happy for you! B)
mynameismommy2
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby lisamtracy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:15 pm

That's WONDERFUL news! Congratulations! :)8
lisamtracy
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:34 am

Wonderful news!!! Congratulations to you. I'm moving this to the misdiagnosed forum because your story is just all too common. Your story is going to help so many women.

It just needs repeating...the transvaginal ultrasound in the first trimester is NOT as accurate as we are led to believe. Many, many, many women look one to two weeks behind even when there is no possible way they could be. It is the equipment and even, at times, user error that is at fault. Sadly, too many women are scared needlessly.

I'm so happy for you. Keep us updated.
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories