Misdiagnosed with empty Sac at 6 weeks

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Misdiagnosed with empty Sac at 6 weeks

Postby JulieS77 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:31 pm

HI, I have been to this site several times over the past few weeks. My husband and I did IVF and I got pregnant. At 6 weeks my fertility clinic decided to do an "early" ultrasound. I was told I had an empty sac, the pregnancy was not viable and I would most likely miscarry OR I would need a D&C. Of course this was devestating to us. A week and a half later I went to my OBGYN for a follow up visit and there was the heartbeat - 162 bpm. The doctor said everything looked fantastic. My point of this is, if you are given the same news, ALWAYS follow up or get a second opinion. 6 weeks is too early sometimes. The wait was agonizing and not necessary for us but hopefully this will help someone else deal with it!
JulieS77
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Rhapsody » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:27 pm

Thank you for posting this.

I am hoping that I will be able to come back with the same story very soon.

We were scanned on Tuesday (at 6 weeks exactly) and all was seen was a gestational sac. We have been told to come back 8 days later (this Wednesday) when another scan will be done. I am hoping with everything that I have that we will see a hearbeat when we go back in 3 days time. The past few days have been almost unbearable, but sites like this have given me so much hope (where I really didn't believe there was any).

Thank you again for your story. I wish you the healthiest and happiest of pregnancies.
Rhapsody
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:36 pm

Gets on my last nerve that doctors do this to women. How difficult would it be for them to just say it's too early, come back in two weeks? But, no, they stress us out beyond belief.

Congratulations on finding that heartbeat!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby JulieS77 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:39 pm

Rhapsody, I will keep you in my thoughts. This site was the only thing that kept me sane. The wait is unbearable, I know. Hang in there.
JulieS77
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Nikkycoly » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:05 pm

I am in the exact same boat. I am seeing an re and we did an u/s at 6w5d by lmp but 6w1d by o date. We saw a sac with a "questionable" yolk sac. Meaning something was in there but it was hard to tell she did get a small measurement. She said I was measuring more like 5w and a couple days. Now she said well this is how it is and we just dont know. We will watch you over the next few weeks for growth. So my next u/s is on Monday and I am :H :H :H :H :H :H everything catches up. I am so glad I found this site because the other sites I been to everyone was so negative and I need some hope.
Nikkycoly
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby JulieS77 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:11 pm

Nikki - I will keep you in my thoughts! I personally believe 6 or so weeks is too early. Most people that get pregnant wouldn't even see a doctor at this point so we truly don't know how common an "empty sac" would appear at first.
JulieS77
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Nikkycoly » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:18 pm

Thank you hun, you too. Bigs :)O to you and I will be :H and :)8 for us both.
Nikkycoly
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Rhapsody » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:05 am

Good luck to both of you Julie and Nikky.

I have my 2nd scan tomorrow and feel sick at the thought of it. I want so much for everything to be ok.

You are both in my thoughts.
Rhapsody
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Nikkycoly » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:46 am

So last night I had brown spotting. Its gone now and it wasnt alot. I also had some weird pains, kind of sharper not imbearable though. Different for the normal af type. I havent had any spotting this morning. Should I try to get my u/s moved up? I am suppose to go on Monday. Should I tell my dr about the spotting? 8:O 8:O 8:O I dont know what to do.
Nikkycoly
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby LotsOfHope » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:20 am

Nikky,

I'm sorry to hear what you are going through. I don't think you should give up hope yet, even with the spotting. In my experience, if the spotting is brown they always say to wait until my next apt. If it's red, they usually get me in that day. But you can ask for an u/s ANYTIME you want, even if you have to go to the ER to get it done.

Hope all goes well for you. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Shasta
LotsOfHope
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Nikkycoly » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:37 am

I think my re thinks I am insane anyway. I am just scared to get an u/s earlier, what if I dont see anything again. UGH its been 6 days since my last one.
Nikkycoly
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby SaraJ » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:29 pm

Hi all,

I am going thru the same as Nikky really. According to my lmp, doc would put me at 8 weeks 2 days today. However, last weekend I started to get a brown discharge (sorry!). I have had this all week, I thought it might progress to bleeding but it has just stayed the same brown discharge all week, although I have no pain. I went to the doc Mon, who sent me over to the Early Preg Unit at the Hosp. They performed an u/s and told me that there was a empty sac but nothing else. They said either it is earlier than I think, i.e. 5 weeks, as that is about the size of the sac or that 'the pregnancy will not proceed' and I will miscarry. I was sent home feeling really confused and have to wait 2 weeks for another u/s. After reading some of the posts on here, I feel slightly re-assured, but I am still really scared that when I go, there will still just be an empty sac? I feel like I am in limbo and just hate waiting, can't concentrate on anything!

Please Nikky let me know how you get on. Best of luck xx

:)
SaraJ
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Nikkycoly » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:02 pm

Well I did indeed go in and have another u/s and yes there was improvement but did not set me at ease. Now I have a gest sac that grew and now a prominent yolk sac. no baby or hb that we saw. UGH 8:O 8:O 8:O 8:O 8:O 8:O this is so annoying. Now I go back on Tues and I will be 7w5d by o. I dont know what to think.
Nikkycoly
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Screat Hope.

Postby kapoorvilla » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:47 pm

Hi

Let me take you through my journey March 2nd I take a hpt with BFP :)8

March 3rd I go to Obgyn take test get negative :(

March 4th, 5th, 6th take another hpt get BFP :)8 :P

March 12th go back to doctor get BFP :)8 ,

Same day given U/s shows nothing not even a sac :(

Doctor says need beta hgc, 12th is 800 14th is 1800 :)8 :)8

Doctor say all is good ust early.
B) B) B)
I have an u/s on March 21st and we see a sac!
:)8 :P :)8 :P

I have an u/s on 28th we see the sac but t is still empty. Doctor is concern so we go back to beta hgc :() 8:O

On the (fri) 28th I was 17,000 or so and on (Mon) 31st I was 21,000. Not doubled after 96 hours :*(

Wednesday April 2nd I go back for u/s. The sac appears less formed and is still empty. :( :( :( :(

My doctor tells me the bad news. There is no hope and we should do a D & C. I just can't bring myself to do it so I go home to wait for a misccariage.

14 days later I have still had no bleeding, no cramping, no brown discharge. Every day that passes gives me a little more hope. :H :H

I am not having any symtoms of pregnancy either???

What does it all mean??

I am waiting another week before I go back I just want to be sure I will be far enough along they can tell what the true deal is.
kapoorvilla
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby laynie » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:02 pm

Yesterday I had my 8 week u/s and my story is the same. No heartbeat and the measurements were said to be that of about 6 weeks. My hormone levels were high and a yolk was detected which is a good thing, but Dr. wants me to go back for more bloodwork next week and my next u/s is the 28th. Like all of you I was completely distraught. Dr. mentioned the same possible outcome and the choices of a D&C or letting nature take its course. He asked what I thought I might want to do if a miscarriage takes place. I told my husband and although he is also worried, and tries to reassure me in his own way, I think this website brings me more comfort and hope. Thank you so much ladies for your stories. I pray everything turns out fine and that I can return to this site to find happy endings for all of us!
laynie
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

i am going through the same...

Postby ray » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:00 pm

I know how you feel. I found out a week ago that i was ptregnant. I just recently had a miscarriage in mid feb. and according to my lmp I am about 7 weeks along. I had my first us yesterday because i am highrisk they wanna do them every two weeks early on, and the us showed an empty sac....and my doctor said it looked that it was maybe 4 or 5 weeks. I had hgc levels tested yesterday and get more tomarrow! I am so nervous....the doctor said there is a slight possibility that my conception date is wrong(especially since i only had one period since my miscarriage) but that i should be prepared for another miscarriage! I go for my hgc levels in the morning and am hoping that this to could just be a misdiagnosis and that my baby will be healthy and doing fine! I am keeping my fingers crossed and praying for myself and everyone else that is going throught this!!!!
~keep, hope, love and faith~
ray
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby laynie » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:35 pm

I will pray for you too!!! I am so sorry for you loss in feb. It sounds like your doctor is very on top of things. I wish you and your baby the best of health. Please keep posting!

laynie
laynie
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby swepea » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:38 pm

I am a Surgical Technician, and last week, on tuesday I assisted a Suction D&C, I always ask how far the patient is, th Dr. said 8 weeks and the sack was empty. Empty Sack. I never heard of it before. Well, I had light pink discarge on thursday and had a level check, it was over 17,000 (6wks 5 days). On Friday which i should have been 6wks, 6days I had an ultrasound, and the tech said she saw a sack, and maybe something, but it looks empty. I looked for myself and saw the perfectly bean shaped black hole on the screen. I'm feaking out. My husband left for Kuwait three days after we found out we were pregnant. I have been going through the baby stuff at our home from our first child. Well our first passed away march 5th 2007 from Krabbes Diesease, he was only 18 months old. I am alone here and from my medical and embryotic background, I'm really scared. If this is a miscarrage, then I have to wait over a year to try again! My mother is a chaplain, and she is praying :H, we all are praying, I just do not how I can go through another loss.
My "Peanut" blessed me with 569 days, 7 hours and 31 minutes of unconditional love, He will never be forgotten!
swepea
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby ray » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:13 pm

well, doctor called today with results from my blood work and good news...they more than doubled!!!YAY! Now hopefully things will keep looking up from here. I have blood work every week now to keep track and will schedule another ultrasound a couple weeks from now...hopefully there will be a baby by then! Good luck to all of you going thru the same "empty sac" situation...it is nerve racking!!!
~keep, hope, love and faith~
ray
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories