HCG's not doubling over 50,000 and no baby- misdiagnosed BO

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Possible Miscarriage

Postby Peanut » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:18 pm

My story is very much like Nancy's. My lmp was on April 3. I already have 2 beautiful children at home and had wonderful pregnancies. I took an over the counter test on Mothers Day and it was negative so I thought I was not pregnant. A few days later, I took another & it was positive. I went to the doctor and told him I was feeling very sick and very tired, unlike my previous pregnancies and I just felt like something was wrong. He sent me for an ultrasound thinking I was almost 8 weeks, but the ultrasound said I was only 6 weeks. They could not find anything but the gestational sac. Due to the fact there was no yolk sac, the doctor who read the ultrasound said it was a failed pregnancy. My OB was not so quick to agree so he sent me for a "tighter" count (I could be spelling that wrong). My numbers are growing, but not as fast as they would like, they were 69,000 on May 26 and 74,000 on May 31st. They are doing another US tomorrow and said if they do not see anything they want to do a D&C on Friday. I feel like if God wants to take this baby from me, he will do it naturally but I am so confused.
Peanut
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Lark » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:46 pm

Peanut,

I'm so sorry for the uncertainty you're having to deal with. If you are past 8 wks and your hcg numbers aren't going up much, that's normal. They might even decline a bit at that point. As far as not seeing anything in your gest sac at this point, it could be due to a tilted uterus creating shadows and creases for that tiny little baby to 'hide' in. Remember, at that stage of pg a baby is only about as big as a grain of rice! Good luck and please keep us posted so we know how to pray for you.

God bless

Lark
Lark

Postby stacybrevin » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:52 am

WOw thanks for sharing this amazing story!
stacybrevin
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:55 am

Peanut, so sorry you are going through this scare.

Please know that if you have no signs of infection or some medical need necessitating a D&C, you can wait it out.

If you still don't see anything this week, ask if you have a tilted uterus. We see a number of women who look one to two weeks behind during the first trimester and see their babies later and they have tilted uteri. If your uterus is tilted, you may want to wait before having that D&C. Your numbers are rising normally. Don't let anybody tell you they have to double at this stage, they normally do not in many women.

(((hugs)))
Kay :heart:
Kay

Good News

Postby Peanut » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:59 pm

I just came back from having my US and I am now holding a picture of my baby! Before we started, the technician asked why I was having the ultrasound and I told her I was confirming a miscarriage because of my D&C scheduled for tomorrow. She laughed and said, "I don't think this little guy will agree with that!" Then she showed me the baby's heartbeat. It was the most beautiful sound I ever heard. I know it is still very early, but at least I can hear & see my baby now! No D&C for me...
Peanut
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Bambi » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:01 pm

Peanut,
That is great news!!! I am so happy for you!!! :cheer:

Bambi
Bambi

Isabella born 10/05/05

Her first tooth popped through on Mothers Day!! :D
Bambi
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:37 pm

Peanut, that is such awesome news, I'm giving you your own post for this own.

Congratulations

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

This is why we tell women they CAN wait to have D&C's if there is no immediate need.

:yay: :yay: :yay:
Kay

Postby Lark » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:19 pm

Peanut!!!! :yay: My goosebumps have goosebumps! Congratulations! Ok, here go the smilies! :thumbsup:

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
:jive: :heart: :jive: :heart: :jive: :heart: :jive: :heart: :jive:

God bless you and your 'peek-a-boo' baby!

Lark
Lark

My story

Postby Caroline H » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:03 pm

Firstly, it's so encouraging to hear all your positive stories. Here's mine:

Yesterday at 8 weeks pregnant I went to see my Gynacologist who was thrilled to hear my news and immediately sent me for a scan, which showed a foetal sac and a small embryo (I can't remember the terminology that was used) but no heartbeat. She lady performing the ultrasound asked when I had gotten my positive pregnancy test and I told her that the last one I took was 1 week ago. She was very silent then told me she was very sorry but there was no heartbeat and said the foetus only looked to be around 6.5 weeks old. I have had no bleeding or cramping at all. She immediately sent me back to my gynacologist who advised that I wait for a week to see if I miscarry naturally, if not then he will perform a D&C. He didn't suggest another U/S, or blood tests, so I'm not sure what I should do now. Could anyone please advise?

Furthermore, I had the U/S performed at the same clinic who told me that I had not ovulated during the month I became pregnant, so it shows that they do sometimes get things wrong. I really don't want to have a D&C unless I am completely sure my baby has died.

I'm praying for a miracle.
Caroline H
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: HCG's not doubling over 50,000 and no baby- misdiagnosed

Postby busybee » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:45 pm

I have a similar story, but no ending just yet. Please pray for us. My husband and I went in for my first transvaginal u/s at 6 weeks, and was told I only measured at 5 weeks. My HcG levels were great. We went back a week later, and found a gestational and yolk sac, but no fetal pole or heartbeat. My Obgyn recommended a second u/s 5 days later. We did, and found a gestational sac, yolk sac and fetal pole this time, but still no heartbeat, and the crown-to-rump only measured 6 weeks growth, not the 7 weeks that it should have been, per the Obgyn. No spotting/cramping, and I feel great with some pregnancy symptoms. The tech was very concerned and predicted the worst, and a few days later my Obgyn called with predictably bad news. He said I would most likely miscarry soon, and I should prepare for that and/or schedule a D&C or take the pill to induce a m/c. I prayed and have struggled to have strong faith through this.

I insisted on having another u/s and wanted to wait at least 10 days, but I have to go in a few days (1 week after my last u/s) per my Obgyn's vacation schedule. My mother-in-law is due for a long visit in a week, and I really don't want to go through that with her around, but I don't want to schedule a D&C either. We waited to tell our family about the pregnancy, so they don't know.

I just want this to happen naturally if it HAS to happen, but it took us a year to get pregnant WITH Fumera and Metformin (I have PCOS), so I want my chances of getting pregnant again soon to be good IF indeed this doesn't work out. I'm keeping my prayers and faith up until I know 100% that there's no chance. Please pray, or feel free to send me your stories of encouragement and hope.
busybee
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories