HCG dropped but pregnancy viable

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

HCG dropped but pregnancy viable

Postby zoe's mama » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:33 pm

I thought I would share my story since I looked to this site for hope when I was told that I had miscarried. Last March I had a miscarriage (confirmed by HCG level of <5), then got pregnant again right after my miscarriage. I had an initial HCG level drawn and it was 38 at 2 weeks after conception. Then eight days later, it was 2546. The next day I had some bleeding, so I had another level done two days later, and it had gone down to 1700. At this point I was told I had most likely miscarried by the nurse at my ob/gyn office. The next day, my doctor had me go in for an ultrasound to rule out an ectopic pregnancy. Although the ultrasound report said �Blighted Ovum�, my doctor said they saw a gestational sac, which is all they would have expected at that point. So, her advice was to wait and see. She said that she thought I was probably miscarrying, but that she�s seen some strange cases, and we couldn�t rule out lab error or vanishing twin. So, at my repeat ultrasound a week later, the gestational sac had grown by 1 mm per day, and there was then a yolk sac visible! (I must mention that I lucked out & got a good tech to do the ultrasound, because the radiologist who wrote up the report that was sent to my doctor mixed up the dates & forgot to mention the yolk sac in his report at all. So my doctor thought the ultrasound confirmed a miscarriage. She had to call the tech to confirm that there was a yolk sac. So, even when it seems like an ultrasound confirms a miscarriage, there is a possibility of error.) I believe it was then a week later when we saw the heartbeat! At that point, my doctor was convinced I wasn�t miscarrying, and although she couldn�t explain it, told me I was having a �normal� pregnancy, and she put me on a monthly check-up schedule. Well, that was last spring. And I�m so happy to be my doctor�s first patient in 27 years of practice that had a viable pregnancy after having such a dramatic drop in my HCG level. And on the day that my doctor delivered my 8 pound daughter, she used me as an example to tell a patient that dropping HCG levels don�t always mean you�ve miscarried. I was very lucky to have a doctor whose approach was to let things take their course, and not rush to diagnose a miscarriage.
Last edited by zoe's mama on Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
zoe's mama
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby lost angel » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:55 pm

am so happy for you. your tech and dr sound wonderful.

I'm sure your daughter is bringing you much joy.

Karen
Karen, 42!, mum to 5 amazing kids!
Megan, 22, Jennifer 18, Matthew 9, Katerina 4, Nathaniel 2.
Precious Angel Baby's August 2005, & January 2008
lost angel
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Beautifully Chaotic » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:26 am

Thank you for sharing your story! It has given me some hope as I am currently waiting for another ultrasound because my HC lvl's have dropped.

Thank you for sharing! E>
Ashley (23) Hubby (28)
1 Angel Baby (05/2006) 4 weeks.
2 Angel Baby (02/24/08) 12 weeks. I got a miscarriage for my birthday!!!!!
'Though I never "saw" you, my sweet babies, I know you were there.'
Beautifully Chaotic
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby HB » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:51 pm

Thank you thank you thank you! For posting your story. I am going through the same thing (almost) right now. I found out I was pregnant 02/07/08 went to see my OB on the 13th. She did an U/S but wasn't able to see a HB or anything and said I just must be really early (I had no idea when I conceived) and ordered to HCG levels. The first one came back 2553 which she was very happy with. The second one I had done on the 15th came back at 1700. She told me she was sorry but it wasn't a viable pregnancy and to wait to miscarry. I spent all weekend scared to death. Waiting and waiting to start miscarrying. I started to have some right side pain so on Monday my OB sent me for an U/S to check for an ectopic and have another HCG level done. Before my blood even came back they did the U/S and the tech could see a yolk sac but no heart beat. She said I could be 5 weeks along and they may not be able to see it yet and suggested I come back in a week. I was shocked. I thought the number drop was final... I thought I was going to miscarry any second. To my further amazement the tech came back into room and said my numbers had more than doubled since Friday. They were now in the 5500's. I had another HCG level done on Wed. and my numbers were in the 11,000's. I am anxiously awaiting my U/S on Monday PRAYING WITH ALL MY MIGHT they see a heartbeat. Thank you so much for your story. I have even more hope. I am in tears ... thank you!!
~HB~
HB
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:24 am

I love hearing all these stories. Congratulations to you. I also love that there are so many stories here that doctors "cannot explain."

Please, keep us updated on you and your pregnancy.
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby staciefidler » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:44 am

I wish my dr was more like yours...
staciefidler
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby learningasigo » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:15 am

Wonderful! I'm so glad that everything worked out in the end!

Its great too that the doctor was able to use you as an example to give hope to some of his other patients. :)
Initial BO diagnosis 6/19/08 at 9 weeks 3 days. D&C at 12 weeks 7/17/08.

In loving memory of Samuel. We miss you Sweatpea.
learningasigo
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby holly1 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:28 am

This a GREAT story :)8
holly1
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby AbigailElainaMom » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:34 am

THANK YOU for sharing your story! My levels took a nose dive and waiting to do another beta. Hoping for the best! Your story gives me hope!!!
AbigailElainaMom
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: HCG dropped but pregnancy viable

Postby sonika » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:01 pm

amazing miraculous story..
i am going thru the same thing.. but i am not hopeful much now becoz my hcg levels dropped twice
and my pregnancy symptoms vanished :(( like nausea and all, well waiting for my 2nd US.
sonika
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby BellaBiker » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:00 pm

I am also in a similar situation...
My first pregnancy at 36 years young and scared out of my mind!! :(
I first found out I was pregnant 8/13/13 and went to Planned Parenthood the next day to get the ball rolling to see what other steps I needed to take to see how far along I was. I thought the worst and at my age thought I couldn't conceive so keeping track on my cycles was not a top priority in my life. Got in to see a new Gyno a week later on 8/21 where she tried to hear the heartbeat and then took me to the Doppler U/S one. Not knowing what to expect and what to ask she pretty much stated I had 2 sacs and I was about 5 weeks but was a tad quiet and didn't share too much more. We went back to her office to schedule another U/S but this time it was going to be a vaginal one on 8/24. My boyfriend and I showed up and were expecting to find out exactly how far along we were but told some bad news. The U/S tech had that wand thing in me for 20 mins and didn't speak to me at all. I finally made a joke to get her to smile and she did but continued to beep on with the machine. She left me to ask if I was alright staying there as is (naked waste down) so she could have a DR. come in and see me. We waited to have the DR. see the U/S for himself and then after looking around for a bit explained finally to us what he saw. 2 empty gestational sacs (which I didn't tell my B/F about the 2nd sac) He said one was larger than the other and that he wanted me to get my blood work done ASAP. :*( With tears in my eyes we left and I went in Monday morning 8/26 to have my HCG's tested! They were at 115600 :) and then 2 days later on 8/28 the same day I had to see my OBGYN I got my blood taken again. I was praying all day for a double number but got to the appointment only to find out that it dropped to 105680. The OBGYN told me I was miscarrying and I should schedule the D&C for that Friday 8/30 since it was the holiday weekend and should get it done ASAP. Well right away I knew I had to be a voice for my baby(s) and explore every option available. Went and had my HCG levels tested again on 8/29 and they went down again to 9 something...I have no idea how far along I am LMP was never documented. :(T The stories I am reading are so helpful and inspirational I am going back tomorrow to have another U/S done. I am waiting for my symptoms of miscarrying but so far nothing has happened. I need to know for sure that there are no BABIES in there before I take any kind of medication. OH Yeah and BTW I am have Hypothyroidism diagnosed when I was 6 months old and wondering if that is why my HCG levels are declining??? So want to have these Babies or just one would be FINE with me! First time getting pregnant ever and never want to go through this again. :sos
BellaBiker
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby sophiesureval » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:41 pm

Hi all, I am going thru the same thing right now. I went for my first US on 09/30/13 and I was supposed to be 8 weeks by then. The Dr had a hard time locating the sac. Once it was located he mentioned that the size of the fetus was indicating it was 6 weeks and not 8. They took some blood test and they found that the HCG levels were high (24920 mIU/mL ) and 2 days after I got blood work done and the Dr called me on 10/04/13 to let me know the levels were going down and that it was not a viable pregnancy. I was heartbroken since its my first child with my husband. I haven't had any bleeding and just slight back pain and a bit of cramping, but no type of discharge or bleeding. I still have to go in today for my last US to confirm it but somehow I don't loose hope... I cant... :(O ... I just cant wait for my appointment today and to be honest before I read this article my hope was not as high as it is now... I know it is God's will and it will always be that way, my faith towards him will never change even if the result is bad.... Ill keep you guys posted tomorrow... Blessings to all!
sophiesureval
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories