Misdiagnosed after taking cytotec!!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Misdiagnosed after taking cytotec!!

Postby elinicty » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:15 pm

I had a miscarriage about 2 1/2 months ago and received a positive on the hpt last month. At what should have been 6 weeks, I started to spot. Worried I went to the doctor. The sac was visible but empty and was told that this was a repeat miscarriage. I was prescribed cytotec and sent home. After taking the medicine I experienced minimal bleeding....very minimal and no cramping or other symptoms I was told to expect. After a week (today) I called to see if it was normal and was told to come in and take another pregnancy test...again positive. More confused than before the doctor offered to do an u/s...imagine my surprise when the fetal pole was visible and a heartbeat....I didn't know what to say or how to feel. His best answer for me was that I was off on my dates and that I shouldn't be concerned even though I took the cytotec. I want to believe him and hope for the best but the side effects listed have me worried more than ever! I go back in two weeks to check on the progress.....
elinicty
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby wenrui » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:32 pm

Wow! I am so happy for you! I think the doctor jumped the gun on having you take cytotec for sure! Babies are pretty resilent so I wish your little one the best.
wenrui
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:29 pm

Oh my goodness, you need a new doctor. Your doctor almost aborted your baby. I am so glad everything turned out okay but I know I would be concerned about side effects as well.

I would report your doctor and find a new one.

Congratulations to you on your little one.
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

update

Postby elinicty » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:14 pm

We went back in for another ultrasound and things are looking good. I'm a little over 8 weeks and the baby is growing just like it should be. The heartbeat is strong and we could see little arm buds so we are pretty optimistic. I'll keep you all posted as things go along. Pray for the best!
elinicty
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby coll_pat » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:32 pm

Awesome news! I agree with Kay... it is time to find a new doctor.
me (30), dh (30)
ds (12/03), ds (10/05), dd (4/08)
m/c twins 5/07 at 10 weeks
coll_pat
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby heifer21 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:51 pm

I am currently going through what may be a misdiagnosed miscarriage and I took the cytotec at 5 weeks but it did not work. I know have rising hcg levels and am feeling pregnant. I have an ultrasound at 7 weeks so hopefully I will be right in my intuition. My question is, how did everything turn out with you and your baby? I am grasping at any hope I can get right now and trying not to worry too much. Your reply would be greatly appreciated.
heifer21
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories