slow heartbeat, no heartbeat, Heartbeat??

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

slow heartbeat, no heartbeat, Heartbeat??

Postby sandy1971 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:35 am

Hi all,

This is my fourth pregnancy. All my previous three have resulted in missed miscarriages. So naturally, when I found out that I was pregnant this time, I ran straight to the doctor, in the hope that if I went in early, they might be able to do something to help me save the baby.

I went in on last Thursday, when I was exactly 6 weeks from my last LMP. The doc saw a heartbeat, but said it was too slow [70 bpm] and that it didnt look good. She asked me to come back in four days time just to make sure the heartbeat was going up and not down.

I didn't know whether to be happy or to be sad, but since in my previous pregnancies, I'd never even seen a heartbeat, I took this to mean soemthing positive.

On Saturday, I noticed some mild brownish discharge and freaked out. I called my doctor and she asked me to come in immediately. She did a TV Scan and said "the heartbeat has stopped." I almost died that instant. She then said I should come in on Monday [today] to have a D&C done, as the sac had grown quite big and it would be messy, since the bleeding had already started.

I cried my heart out through the weekend. Come today morning,and I just didnt have the heart to go through with the D&C. I called her and said I would put it off by a week. She wasnt very happy, but said ok.

In the meantime, I made another appointment with a doctor who is supposed to have the best ultrasound equipment in town. I went in today, expecting the worst - so imagine my surprise when he said "I see a tiny flicker - there is a heartbeat." I asked him if he was sure. He said he was and he checked both abdominally as well as transvaginally. he did say it was slow though, but that my yolk sac was a good size. He sent me to get my blood tests done for HCG and progesterone. He also gave me a progesterone shot and some tablets to be taken orally and asked me to come back in a week.

Has anyone had this happen to them before? What are the chances that my little one will make it, with a slow heartbeat? The doctor said that the chances are "not bad" - and the heartbeat could be slow because the baby was still very young. He said he would've been more worried if the yolk sac was enlarged, but since it wasnt, he would just wait it out and put me on rest.

I am nowhere near out of the woods yet - but I shudder to think that I might have killed my baby today, if I had listened to my earlier doc.

Can anyone offer any advice?
sandy1971
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Sunflower Cyster » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:00 pm

I can't offer any real advice, but I wanted to say how wonderful that you saw the heartbeat again!!! It sounds like you have a much better doctor now. I would just take it easy and take your pg one day at a time. I wouldn't rush into a D&C in any case other than infection.

My baby's heartbeat was described as "weak" and was about 100 bpm at 6w6d. My next u/s 12 days later showed that the baby had died. It took just over a month to miscarry, but my doctor never pushed me to do a D&C...he was very supportive of me wanting to wait. I had a second u/s to be sure the baby had died two weeks later, and the pg was starting to calcify. I knew there was no hope at that point.

What I remember reading was that a heartbeat lower than 80 wasn't a good sign, but I don't remember what the percentages on those that go on to miscarry were. Do a google search of heart rate on ultrasound by gestation week and see what you can find. I don't mean to be negative....there's always hope! I know I like to know the facts, though.

Keep us posted.
Misty 28, DH 28
DD born 1/17/06

M/C 2/9/05 (chemical pg)
M/C 1/30/08...baby died 12/26
Sunflower Cyster
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby dyemom » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:46 pm

Sandy, I'm about it the same boat right now that you were in and am contemplating whether or not to do a D & E...I would love to hear how your story ended up to help me make my decision.
Thanks in advance.
dyemom
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby dideann » Mon May 04, 2009 3:36 pm

Its great to see these stories, my daughter went through IVF after tying to get pregnant for 7 years. It took the first time, she started spotting on the day she found out she was pregnant and found out she has a subcronic hemarage the sac is pulling away a little from the wall. Found out its normal the dr said he should heal itself. She went in at what they considered 7 wks and there was a heart beat of 85 to 103 and dr said she looked more like 6 1/2 weeks. He said the thought she would miscarry. She hasnt been bleeding for the last couple of weeks and has been feeling pretty good. She went in this morning at supposedly 7 weeks 5 days and the doctor said the embryo had split there were 2 in the same sac but no heart beat in either one. She is devastated he wants her to come back friday to do another ultra sound and if there is no heartbeat he wants to do a DNC. I think she could be less far along then he things and she doesnt know what to do friday. Any word of advise would be good.
God Bless you all going through this!
dideann
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Loss Of Words..

Postby Lost36 » Wed May 27, 2009 6:55 pm

Hi everyone, My name Is jamie && i am 20 years old. i found out i was pregnant for my first time on April 27,2009. I was estatic, and my boyfriend was as well. I went to the hospital for a ultra sound, and they told me i was 6 weeks and 2 days.. pregnant with twins! I was so happy i cryied. I went for my 7 week ultra sound and everything looked great! One baby's heart eat was at 140 bpm and the other was at 113 bpm. I was reschedualed for another ultra sound for the 26th (yesterday)... I was crushed, one baby only measured at 7 weeks and the doctor didn't even tell me what the other one measured out to. Both heartbeats couldn't be seen. How cold everything just stop? He didn't even take my harmone levels to see if they were up at 9 weeks or not? He told me to come in for a d&c i said no... I dont know if i am in deniel, but i think this is wrong.. What should I do dose anyone have any advice? Im so lost and broken hearted, it would be nice to hear similar situations and the out comes.. Thank you so much
Lost36
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories