Low Progesterone, HCG Levels Dropped - Any Hope????

Low Progesterone, HCG Levels Dropped - Any Hope????

Postby blessedmom » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:31 am

Not sure of LMP
Pos HPT on 2/19/2008
1st OB visit on 2/29/2008
U/S on 2/29/2008 - Dr "eyeballed" U/S and said I was 5 weeks - VERY quick U/S -
Spotting on 2/30/2008 - mostly brown discharge, mucousy, seemed like an unusual period - most blood/spotting when wiping
Drs office said to wait til Monday unless I felt I needed to go to ER - no pain or bright red blood so I thought it was okay.
3/04/2008 recv'd test results from Friday - Dr wanted to retest to check levels

2/29/2008: Progesterone 5.2 HCG 2300

3/05/2008: Progesterone 3 HCG 2100

The levels have dropped and it has been 6 days between results. The Dr will not start Progesterone as he feels it will not help. I am scheduled to see him again on Friday to discuss options.

Trying to stay positive - any suggestions? Any Hope????

Need Prayers.....

BlessedMom
7 Beautiful children aged 10,9,8,6,5,3,3
Miscarried 3 beautiful angels, July 2003 (twins), Nov 2006
Mar 2008????
blessedmom
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby vnsslfm » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:51 pm

You might want to consider a new doctor. I started my progesterone at 6 weeks, and am now 31 weeks. My HCG was going up but not doubling until I started progesterone. I am so sorry for what you are going through, and I will say a little prayer for you and your family. God Bless My story is on this page.
Mom to DD born 11/22/05
Miracle Baby Girl due 5/13/08!!!

Hope is contagious!
vnsslfm
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Update to original post about low progesterone and HCG

Postby blessedmom » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:21 pm

Good News Update:

I found a new doctor who seems to be much more understanding and who immediately did another u/s so that we could "intelligently" discuss the situation. While doing the u/s his first comment was "you are definitely pregnant" and he believes that he detected cardiac activity. I was so excited to hear the news. He gave me a shot of Rhogam (I'm RH negative) and he started me on progesterone. I am so thrilled and hope that it makes a difference. I go back on the 20th for another u/s unless I have issues.

I guess some doctors put too much emphasis on numbers - I am glad that the first doctor checked my progesterone although he didn't do anything once we knew the results - his medical asst called and said she was sorry that there was nothing else to do. I hope to send them a baby announcement in the near future!

I sure hope to be writing a positive update when I'm 31 weeks - congrats to you!

Praying for healthy babies to all!
blessedmom
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby vnsslfm » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:24 pm

Great news! Keep me updated, and glad to hear that you are happy with the new doc! Finding one you like and feel comfortable with is half the battle! I am sure we will see a great update soon!!! Take care
Mom to DD born 11/22/05

Hope is contagious!
vnsslfm
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Update to original post

Postby blessedmom » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:25 pm

Well, the mysteries of pregnancy continue to confuse and mystify me. I am holding strong on my faith - but not sure what to think.

I went to my follow-up appt today and was told that I still had a uterine pregnancy - we could see a beautiful gestational sac, but no longer see the baby w/cardiac activity that was detected at my last appt - 13 days ago. Really didn't see anything except gest sac and corpus luteum. So - the doctor said you are still pregnant and now we need to figure out how pregnant. He sent me for quantitative HCG test and I have to go again on Friday. We are scheduled to meet again on Monday morning to discuss results. He said if I am going to miscarry that my body will do its job - he is definitely a wait and see doctor. Much unlike the last two doctors I have had. They were always too quick to recommend D&C.

I am wondering if I miscarried and am pregant again - I guess time will tell. I feel like there is still hope - so I will keep praying for the best. It is still very early as we were guessing I would be about 7wk2d +/- today. I was really hoping to see a strong, beating heart! Of course, it looked like a new pregnancy to me - we will hopefully know more on Monday.

Have a happy Easter weekend! Praying for healthy babies to all! :H :H
blessedmom
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby momof3 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:23 pm

blessedmom - I am experiencing the same thing with the hcg and progesterone levels.

I "should" be 6w5d today. I had an u/s on Monday. We saw a heartbeat, but the baby was measuring small. My lab results are what really worries me.

Progesterone - 6.8
hcg Monday - 2424
hcg Wednesday - 2232

It is very confusing to see a heartbeat and then see the awful numbers. My doctor put me on 200mg twice a day of progesterone supplements. And I go back for another u/s on Tuesday unless something else happens. Tuesday seems like years away! I am praying that the progesterone will help and God will work a miracle.

Let me know how you are doing....
Me (28) Hubby (28)
Three HH children
Two M/C - 1/08 (7wks) and 4/08 (9wks)
Peyton Christine born 2/19 - 8# 2oz, 20" long
momof3
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Still Waiting......

Postby blessedmom » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:18 pm

I had my second blood draw last night and now I am waiting till appt on Monday morning. I had the lab give me the results and the numbers have dropped VERY slowly.

My numbers:

2/29 - Beta HCG 2357.5, Progesterone 5.2
3/05 - Beta HCG 2181.1, Progesterone 3.0

3/19 - Beta HCG 1994
3/21 - Beta HCG 1594

I was prescribed only 100mg Oral Prometrium 1xday beginning 3/06. In all the reading I've done, I often wonder if I needed a stronger dose from the start. We did see cardiac activity on 3/06.

I have not had progesterone levels retested. With my levels so low, I feel that the suppplementation dose may not have been enough to bring the levels up. I've read that lots of women take 200-400mg per day.

I am not a doctor, but my feeling is that this pregnancy is not going to be. I was hoping that my levels would go up and I would be told that I somehow got pregnant again or it was a multiple pregnancy and there was still one. Wishful thinking! I guess on Monday I will find out more information and hear the doctor's opinion. I just hope that if it is not going to happen - it will end naturally! I'd really prefer divine intervention and hope to see a miracle beating heart E> on Monday.

I hope you (momof3) have great success and better news with your numbers! :H Praying for you!!

Healthy babies to all!
blessedmom
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby momof3 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:21 pm

So sorry to see your numbers still dropping even after the progesterone supplements. At the 2nd u/s did the baby measure the same as the first? If it is the same baby and the heart has stopped, the progesterone supp. can postpone the m/c. At least that is what I have read.

I will go back on Tuesday for my 2nd u/s. If their is no heartbeat, I will stop the progesterone and let things go naturally. I think it is just so confusing to have three very healthy, uneventful pregnancies and then possibly have 2 m/c's in a row. I have not done anything differently. I am still in my 20's. And my health seems to be the same as ever. Just doesn't make sense.

My dr. said if I miscarry this time, he will do some testing to see why. But I pray that on Tuesday we will see a healthy 7 1/2 week old baby with a good, strong heartbeat!! I will pray the same for you. :H

For nothing is impossible with God. Luke 1:37
Me (28) Hubby (28)
Three HH children
momof3
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

HCG continues to drop VERY slowly

Postby blessedmom » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:41 pm

My HCG levels have dropped VERY slowly since first blood was drawn. Deep down I know that this pregnancy is not going to be, but I can't help but wonder everytime I see a new ultrasound.

2/19 - Positive HPT

2/29 - First Dr visit and u/s - guessed to be 5wk by Dr
HCG 2357.5 and Progesterone 5.2

3/1 - some brown spotting - seemed like a mild, short period - 3 days

3/05 - HCG 2181.1 and Progesterone 3.0

3/06 - New doctor SEES cardiac activity on u/s
Get Rhogam shot for early spotting and begin 100mg Prometrium/day

3/13 - 1 episode of brown spotting during the day

3/19 - next dr visit - u/s - only see gestational sac - no cardiac activity
HCG 1994

3/21 - HCG 1754

TODAY - 3/24 - Dr visit - u/s - see gestational sac and fetal pole - no cardiac activity - it is dr opinion that I am having a missed miscarriage
HCG 1736

I am currently scheduled to have blood drawn again on Wed 3/26 and next dr visit on Friday 3/28.

I also had progesterone checked and should have results on Wednesday. This dr is definitely a wait and see dr. He has not even suggested a d&c. He says that as long as I am "susie perfect" with no fever, pain, bleeding, etc then we will continue to check HCG levels and do u/s.

With continuously dropping HCG levels, I feel like this is not going to be - even though I keep hoping that maybe a new pregnancy began and is throwing off my numbers. I am completely confused and am trying to stay busy with other things. 8:O

Hope to know for sure by Friday - looking for a miracle! E>

Healthy babies to all! Keeping you in prayer! :H
blessedmom
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby momof3 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:19 pm

blessedmom - so sorry to hear that your hcg levels are still dropping. Keep praying for a miracle!

I went for my u/s today. There is still a strong heartbeat and the baby is catching up to where it should be. It measured 6w4d and I should be 7w3d. So that is the good news. The bad news is the geastational sac has not really grown much at all since last week (4w6d). So my doctor said we are "still on the fence." I think he was surprised that we still saw a heartbeat. I had my hcg checked again today and will get the results tomorrow morning.

Hanging in there - hope you are too!

E> E> E> E>
Me (28) Hubby (28)
Three HH children
momof3
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby vnsslfm » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:04 pm

I am so sorry for what you are having to go through. I will keep you in my prayers. Take care and God Bless
Mom to DD born 11/22/05

Hope is contagious!
vnsslfm
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby momof3 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:09 pm

I got the results of my hcg today (from yesterday). It was about 3300.

So it has gone up from last week, but not much. I was hoping for something over 10,000. I am just so confused at this point. Let me know what you think...

3/17 - 2424
3/19 - 2223
3/25 - 3300

Heartrate - 110 Seems low to me, but everythng I have read for 6-7 weeks this is normal. Borderline for over 7 weeks. Doctor gives us a 50/50 chance. I am continuing the progesterone supplements until there is no longer a heartbeat. Next u/s - 3/31.
Me (28) Hubby (28)
Three HH children
momof3
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby blessedmom » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:02 pm

momof3 - I think as long as numbers go up - you have good chance - and if heartbeat is there - it is most important!! Sending prayers your way for successful pregnancy and healthy baby!!!

Well, I got my HCG results today and they actually went UP - albeit 5 points - but it went UP!!!! (Possibly lab error??) Not sure what this means, but I have another beta test Friday along with a very thorough ultrasound. The u/s and HCG numbers don't tell the same story, in my opinion. SOOOO - hopefully I will know more information on Friday. If my HCG goes up again - I will be very surprised. I cannot wait for the u/s on Friday.

My progesterone is only at 13.2 which along with HCG at 1741 would be normal range for a very early pregnancy. Not sure what is going on, but this pregnancy has me completely mystified. Keeping the faith!

Lab results: 2/29/2008 - 3/26/2008
HCG levels 2357, 2181, 1994, 1754, 1736, 1741
Progesterone 5.2, 3.0, 13.2

My numbers are terrible!!!!

U/S -
2/29 gest sac, dr "guessed" that I was 5wk
.....switched doctors after first dr ofc said there was no hope after levels dropped one time.....
3/06 gest sac, "bean", cardiac activity
3/19 "empty" gest sac??? no cardiac activity
3/24 gest sac with fetal pole, no cardiac activity

With the dropping numbers, I finally decided that I am probably having a missed miscarriage and should have d&c like the other times because my body just won't let go of the pregnancies. Of course, now the HCG level went up and now I figure I will have to wait it out!!! I am trying to have clear positive thoughts as the whole mind/body connection is so strong! Still hoping and praying for a miracle!!!

Healthy pregnancies and babies to all!
blessedmom
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby momof3 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:10 pm

blessedmom - I would not have a d&c until you know FOR SURE. A friend of mine was told she miscarried her twins, had a d & c and went back a couple weeks later to find her twins remained and had strong healthy heartbeats. They were definitley the same babies, as there age was exactly what it should have been. The only explanation is that it was a miracle! They are 7 yrs old now and healthy as can be!

So, unless you miscarry naturally, I would be pretty darn sure before having a d & c.

Although the hb has not been found recently, did your u/s show that the baby has grown? Its great that your #'s went up this time. Its something to keep your hopes up about. This waiting is sooooo hard! Good luck with your u/s tomorrow!!!! I will be praying for a healthy hb E>
Me (28) Hubby (28)
Three HH children
momof3
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby blessedmom » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:07 pm

Well, the mystery is over - I was officially diagnosed with a missed abortion. I probably knew this deep in my subconscious three weeks ago, but I chose to be the eternal optimist.

My last HCG level dropped from 1741 to 1488 and the u/s only showed a "possibly" collapsed yolk sac??? It was measuring at 5w4d - which would put me back at the week my progesterone initially showed up super low. So, for the past three weeks I have been driving my husband and myself crazy with all my theories. I so wanted a different story!!!

I guess on a positive note, I did find out that I had low progesterone and they found a small cyst on an ovary which they said should disappear. So, I will work on getting my body back to its optimum working condition and see what happens!

With HCG numbers that NEVER doubled or went up and such discrepancies on u/s - it is probably best that we accept the diagnosis and move on. It has been over three weeks since the first dr I saw wanted to "discuss options". I chose to find a new doctor and am back to where I started. I was REALLY hoping for better news!!!!!

Here's hoping for a successful future pregnancy!

Healthy babies to all!! :H

momof3 - praying for successful pregnancy and healthy baby for you!
blessedmom
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby vnsslfm » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:40 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope things get back to normal really soon so you can TTC again. Take care of your self.
Mom to DD born 11/22/05

Hope is contagious!
vnsslfm
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby momof3 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:14 pm

I am so sorry to hear that. :( I pray that you heal quickly - body and soul.
Me (28) Hubby (28)
Three HH children
momof3
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby lost angel » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:48 pm

am so sorry to hear your news....hcg can be such a frustrating pain!

In January, I had seen my precious little one at 6 wk 2 days, with a beautiful little heartbeat, and was told it was viable, my hcg was perfect.

A few days later, felt "less pg", had another u/s a week later, baby had no heartbeat and died 2 days after 1st u/s. I saw this myself.

Wait nearly 3 weeks, conceded to d&c for family reasons, my wonderful ob/gyn, did more blood tests, my hcg was WAY UP! So she did more, but they were dropping rather significantly. She also had a "look" with her u/s, colapsing sack, no precious baby visible....

I unfortunately know how hard and soul destroying this is.... I pray you are able to find your way through it.

It sounds as though you have a nice Dr. Whether you have a d&c or m/c naturally is up to you....

Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers at this difficult time.....

Karen
Karen, 42!, mum to 5 amazing kids!
Megan, 22, Jennifer 18, Matthew 9, Katerina 4, Nathaniel 2.
Precious Angel Baby's August 2005, & January 2008
lost angel
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby momof3 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:49 pm

Here's my update:

I had another u/s this morning. The baby is growing as it should, but the sac is still measuring 2 weeks behind. It grew a little bit this week. The heart rate has dropped to 85bpm, so things are not looking so good at this point. My doctor said that the small sac can indicate a defect in the baby so if the pregnancy continues he is going to refer me to a high risk OB for further testing. But, he does not think I will get to that point with the HR dropping. My next u/s is next Monday. A very LONG week away. I'll keep you posted.
Me (28) Hubby (28)
Three HH children
momof3
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby blessedmom » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:41 am

Thanks to all for the thoughtful messages. We are in the healing process. Keeping the faith!

blessedmom of 7 beautiful healthy children and 4 beautiful angel babies

momof3 - We will keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers!! I know this will be a long week for you. Hoping for the best!!

lost angel - Sorry for your loss - thanks for sharing your story!

Healthy babies to all! :H
blessedmom
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child
Next

Return to Possible Miscarriage - Progesterone Issues