Slow rising HCG and spotting for two weeks

Slow rising HCG and spotting for two weeks

Postby megsie1977 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:27 pm

My story is that two weeks ago I found that I was spotting, brown 'old blood', I also had some cramping - nothing severe but noticable. I went to the ER and was checked out, it was late so they couldn't do an US but my HGC level was checked (21000) and they did an internal which showed no active bleeding, closed cervix. The bleeding got heavier and turned a deep red and the cramping stayed for the next two days. My levels were checked again and they were 24000 (that was about 3 days later). I had an US done which showed a sac and yoke and measured about 6w4d (I was estimated at 7-8 weeks), they couldn't find a heartbeat but said that it was probably too early.
The bleeding stopped over Xmas but returned on Friday but only very light brown spotting. My third HGC level was 26000 and as this was nearly 6 days after the last, my Dr said it doesn't look good.
I still have not passed any clots and wonder whether the slow rise in my HGC could be nothing to worry about. I have however had quite a lot of cramping but very intermittent.
I just wish I knew what was happening!!
Me 30 DP 38

Hywel 06/07/00 (Birth asphixia - cerebral palsy)
Imogen 05/04/02
megsie1977
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Molly99 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:46 pm

Hi, Megsie,

I was just wondering how you are doing and what has been happening. I'm in a similar situation as you, but my numbers are not nearly as high as yours. (Last draw at 6.2 weeks was 7275) I did have an u/s and saw a 6w2d embryo with a heartbeat of 126. I'm still bleeding red once in a while and have some cramping.

Just wondering how you are doing. I've heard that once the levels get as high as yours. they stop doubling.
Molly99
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby megsie1977 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:09 pm

Hi Molly,
Well I'm still here, still waiting. I am going to see my Dr tomorrow and I expect he will send me for another U/S which should by now give me a clearer picture of what's going on.
I think I have come to terms (somewhat) with the idea that I am probably on my way to miscarrying but as you would know it's difficult not to keep hoping.
I still have the same spotting that I have been having since a week before Xmas and am having intermittent cramping that is nothing more than a little uncomfortable - like period pain. It's interesting that you say my levels might not be doubling by now, it does seem difficult to get a clear picture about them.
I do hope you are doing OK. Have you had an U/S? How far along are you? I am coming up to ten weeks on Sunday - should have been just about in the clear.
Me 30 DP 38

Imogen 05/04/02
megsie1977
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Molly99 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:53 am

Hi, Megsie,

Good luck at your doctor's appointment tomorrow. I will definitely be hoping and praying for a good outcome for you!

I'm only 7 weeks today and when I had my u/s, it was measuring spot on at 6w2d since my LMP. However, I find it so uncomforting that my levels are so low and not coming even close to doubling. I haven't had any spotting today, but I'm sure it will happen again tomorrow. It seems to happen every two days, and it only appears after I have a BM, (Sorry - TMI) but it's definitely red and takes a good couple wipes before it's gone. It never reaches my pantyliner, only the TP. It's so frustrating as when I go through a day with no spotting, I begin to believe everything is going to be okay, then my hopes are crushed when I see that red toilet paper. I also have constant PMS cramping, but with my last m/c, even though there was no bleeding, I was doubled over in pain from the cramps.

I hate that we have to go through this wait. I hate how m/c robs us of the excitement of being pregnant.

As for your numbers doubling, my family doctor has said that he was happy with the rise in my numbers because they do level out at some point. (I don't quite believe him because he doesn't know as much as my OB would, who is on holidays this week) However, in your case, I know I have read that once you are around 8-10 weeks, they do stop doubling.

Anyway, please keep me updated on how your appointment goes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! I will, too, let you know how things progress with me. I don't have another u/s booked until Jan. 22, when I will be 10 weeks, but I may have to go to one earlier if the spotting does not stop.

Thinking of you!
Molly99
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby megsie1977 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:12 am

Hi Molly, just wanted to check how you were going? I saw my Dr on Friday and have a referral for an ultrasound next week. He said he can only advise to wait and see what comes from that.
I will let you know how I go.
I'm hoping your weekend has been unremarkable.
Me 30 DP 38

Imogen 05/04/02
megsie1977
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Molly99 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:09 pm

Hi, Megsie,

Things have been going pretty well for me. You can check out my update in the Misdiagnosed Section, called "Slow rising HCG - so far so good".

To update you quickly, I went for another u/s on Friday and the baby was measuring spot on at 7w3d with a heartbeat of 164. I haven't had any spotting now for 4 days so I'm hoping that's a good sign. I just have to make it to my 10 week u/s on Jan. 22nd and if all is well then, I can begin to relax...just a little.

I hope everything goes well at your u/s next week and they find a little bean in there with a healthy heartbeat! It's a bit silly that they're making you wait this long.

Thinking of you!
Molly99
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby megsie1977 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:51 pm

Well, I had an ultrasound yesterday which confirmed my fears. Looks like there has been no progress since the six week mark. I will see my Dr tomorrow and I am assuming they will say it was a BO.
I'm actually OK. I think I feel better now then I did before because now at least I know. Of course now I am waiting for the inevitable which will add to my frustrations but at least I'm not anxious anymore - that was the most difficult for me.
Strangely enough my bleeding has gotten heavier today, bleeding now rather than spotting so maybe it will happen soon. Didn't think I'd be wishing a M/C on myself a few weeks ago!
Me 30 DP 38

Imogen 05/04/02
megsie1977
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Molly99 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:08 pm

Oh, Megsie, I'm so sorry to hear the news. I was hoping and praying that they would see some progress at your ultrasound.

I understand what you mean about how you at least know what is happening. I go through times where I feel like everything is okay, then the next minute I have all these fears. I wish there was a way we could monitor our pgs at home in these early weeks.

I hope everything works out for you and that you are not too uncomfortable. Please know that I am thinking of you and am here for you if you need anything.

Take care,

~Molly
Molly99
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Possible Miscarriage - Bleeding and Spotting