Shawn's Story - Spotting, D&C Scheduled. Baby Found!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Shawn's Story - Spotting, D&C Scheduled. Baby Found!

Postby Shawn » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:16 am

Hi - I hope this is the correct space to post my story.

In 1997 I was pregnant. Early on - perhaps 7 weeks - I spotted a bit. My doctor confirmed my fear and shared that it appeared I had miscarried. The plan was then to simply let nature take its course after an ultrasound showed an empty sac and a placenta. Also, if I didn't miscarry the placenta (which I was told sometimes continue to simply grow thus causing the rise in hormones) in a few weeks I would need a D&C. A few weeks later I still hadn't fully miscarried and visited a hospital to have another, more thorough ultrasound. After some time the doctor proclaimed that my 'roller coaster ride was over because I absolutely was not pregnant'. Sadly, I scheduled a D&C. A few days later I was informed that the hospital my doctor worked out of was not covered by my health insurance. This upset me terribly as I felt I had already been through so much and was simply ready for it all to be over. I had no choice but to find another doctor. Perhaps a week later I visited my new doctor's office. He insisted on performing yet another ultrasound. I resisted not wanting to see the sad little empty sac again. But, he persisted and a few minutes later, to my utter amazement, showed me my daughter Noura's heartbeat. She is so lucky to be alive - all due to the pathetic state of American health insurance - and the mistakes of practitioners. My daughter's twin had been miscarried early on - but no one saw the other fetus. How often has this happened?! The internet was nothing like it is now back in 1997 - I am thankful you have created this site and am sad that this is still an issue. So good to get the word out!
Shawn
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Shawn's Story - Spotting, D&C Scheduled. Baby Found!

Postby Kay » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:33 pm

I am so glad you shared your story. The issues you faced more than a decade and a half ago are still common today! Sadly, very little has changed. Your story will give so many women hope and I am so glad you shared it.

I know sometimes I just get so overwhelmed looking at my daughter and wonder what if they had taken her?

Thank you again!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories