Still have faith-UPDATE: Misdiagnosed

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Still have faith-UPDATE: Misdiagnosed

Postby Theresa » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:34 pm

This is my first post to this website, but many of the stories on this site have been very inspirational.

I experienced my first miscarriage on February 13-very traumatic. I was in my 9th week, and after blood test and ultrasounds, we discovered it was a blighted ovum. I had a D&C and my doctor told me to wait 3 months before trying again. Well, much to our surprise I got pregnant after one period after my D&C. Since last week, my HCG numbers were doubling perfectly (actually more than doubling, like tripling).

Unfortunately, a week and half ago I noticed some red streaking when I wiped (which lasted for about 10 minutes and stopped). I just wanted to throw up, I was so upset. This started the day after I started my progesterone suppositories. My Prog. was 19.4 (which I felt wasn't low) and was surprised when the nurse ordered the suppositories for me. Well, I went in for an u/s immediately the next day, measured at 5 weeks (I wasn't sure how far along I was) and they saw a yolk sac. The tech said it was probably too early to see anything else. I thought this was great news since the last time I was pregnant I didn't see anything on the ultrasound. Also, me betas were rechecked twice in a 48 hour period, and they were rising. The most recent was in the 19,000's.

(What an emotional roller coaster!)

Well, last Friday, I went to the bathroom and there was blood in the toilet (bright red) and alot of it. I went straight to the ER, crying the whole way, and I soaked one whole pad during the whole ordeal. Well, the resident who saw me immediately told me I was probably miscarrying again, so the pessimism already started. He did a pelvic exam and said I was dilated a fingertip and my pregnancy was terminated! Oh, I was so upset. My betas were rechecked and had dropped to 17,000.

This is the problem and why I still am holding onto faith. This resident didn't even know how to put my legs in the stirrups or how to drape the blanket over my stomach. The doctor (who was observing him) had to do this. So, since my said my cervix was dilated (which seems to be the tell-tale sign of miscarriage-am I wrong?), he said I was definitely miscarrying (I'm also having a hard time trusting his findings). He sent me home with a diagnosis of threatened miscarriage.

My betas were rechecked today (will get results tomorrow) and I have an ultrasound on Friday. I still feel very pregnant, even more pregnant, and the bleeding immediately stopped that night. I have never had any bad cramping or pain, just normal light cramping. No tissue ever passed, just bright red blood, which turned to dark red blood, then brown that night. For three whole days, I haven't had a drop of blood, even when I wipe. Is there anyone here with an experience like this, good or bad, where betas slightly dropped, cervix (supposedly) dilated, bleeding, and everything was fine????

I'm a nervous wreck! Thanks to anyone who can help!
Theresa
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Theresa » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:37 pm

Also, the resident did an ultrasound that night and said he still saw the yolk sac.
Theresa
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kimmyblueiis » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:27 pm

So sorry for what you are going through Theresa.
Hugs to you
Kimmy E>
Me 34,DH 32 (Danny)
DD 15 - Brittany, DD 14 - Rosey
Twin DS 2 yrs!! Wyatt & Clay - IVF babies
m/c #1 8/03 4-5wks (Rachel), m/c#2 2/04 11wks (Nathaniel), m/c# 3 7/05 11 wks. (Sarah)
FET 6/25/08 - Our little snowbaby is on the way - EDD 3/12/09
Kimmyblueiis
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby april1979 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:28 pm

I hope that all goes well with your next appointment and that the resident was wrong... :H
april1979
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Mom In Waiting » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:29 pm

Sheesh! I know that residents have to learn sometime, but in a case as sensitive as this, maybe he should have just been observing the OB! I am so sorry for all you are going thru, and I also hope and pray that he was wrong. My prayers are with you. Cyndi E>
Angel Baby #1 6/00 (10wks)
Angel Baby #2 1/01 (12wks)
Birth of Samuel Lee 7/26/02!!!!
Angel#3 "Jeremy" 11/04 (17wks)
Alicia Kathryn Born 7/6/06!!!!!
Mom In Waiting

Postby Theresa » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:35 pm

Good news ladies-but still some confusion.

The results of my HCG levels were in the 31,000's-the nurse and doctor seemed pleased. However, the doctor seemed to want to wait until my u/s on Friday to tell more of what is going on. This news made me have more faith that everything is ok. What do you think?

I started some brown spotting again today-again I'm wondering why?

Doctor also said no heavy lifting or overly exerting myself until Friday's u/s? What would you consider over exertion?
Theresa
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby april1979 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:13 pm

Hold out for the u/s!!! I hope that you get GREAT news! I am greatly encouraged by the sound of your betas. Are they doing another one soon to compare? Is it at all possible that you lot a twin? I know that would cause the issue with your betas...

Anyway, I am greatly encouraged by your update and I hope that you have more good news to report on Friday!!!
april1979
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Theresa » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:18 pm

No, they aren't doing another beta to compare-they seem to want to wait for the u/s on Friday. I've heard that about losing a twin, also.

I am bleeding more today, a little heavier than this morning. I know I've heard women who bleed heavy throughout their first trimester and everthing is fine. Is this true?
Theresa
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby april1979 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:30 pm

Theresa -

I lost a twin in the beginning of my pregnancy and my betas declined and then rose normally, I miscarried the surviving twin, but my DR said that in pregnancies where you lose one twin the other is at higher risk. The other possibility for your beta craziness is the possibility that there was a lab error...I know that there was a woman on here not too long ago that was told her betas had declined and that she was no longer pregnant...but they mixed hers up with someone else...nice huh?

I have heard about pregnancies that bleed heavily and then everything is fine...so it does happen. I personally have not experienced this and so I can not offer anything, but there are women on here that it has happened to.

I hope that your u/s goes well!!! :H
april1979
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Theresa » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:27 pm

Ladies-it's just a miracle! My ultrasound on Friday went soooo well! We are so excited! We saw the baby and its heartbeat of 128-just perfect! The tech also saw a subchorionic bleed, which was causing the bleeding. The doctor didn't seem concerned at all-he just placed me on some restrictions, will monitor the bleed with ultrasounds, and put me back on progesterone. Oh, I'm so happy, I just don't know what to do with myself. We even got a picture of the little one! Which forum on this website would I go for more information on subchorionic bleeds?

Miracles do happen and God blessed us!
Theresa
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:39 pm

Theresa, what wonderful news.

I bled heavily during the 12th and 17th week of my first pregnancy and was told I was miscarrying too but they were wrong. It is also very possible you lost a 'hidden' twin. It really is common and does make the hcg's drop temporarily.

Good news if so, though, we have a study here in one of the reading rooms that shows that when a twin is lost early on, the surviving baby's chances are far greater. Nobody knows why this is although there are some theories.

I'm going to copy this thread to the misdiagnosed board. You'll give so many women hope.
Kay

Postby Mom In Waiting » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:25 pm

Soooo happy to hear such great news!!!! Miracles do happen and I'm so glad it did for you! Here's hoping and praying that the rest of your pregnancy goes just as great as this last appt!!! Cyndi E>
Angel Baby #1 6/00 (10wks)
Angel Baby #2 1/01 (12wks)
Birth of Samuel Lee 7/26/02!!!!
Angel#3 "Jeremy" 11/04 (17wks)
Alicia Kathryn Born 7/6/06!!!!!
Mom In Waiting

Postby CINC » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:30 pm

Great news!!!! I had a subchorionic bleed with my first son and all was well. So happy for you!!
Nicole
~I can do all things through Him that strengthens me.~
Mom to Elijah Samuel 1/3/03 & Isaac Kallel 9/23/06
CINC
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby april1979 » Mon May 01, 2006 10:47 am

:)8 :)8 :)8 So happy to get some good news!!! Congratulations!!! :)8 :)8 :)8
april1979
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby lia » Mon May 01, 2006 10:59 am

Congratulations! I am so so so incredibly happy for you!
lia
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Theresa » Mon May 01, 2006 2:23 pm

Thank you everyone! We have a follow-up ultrasound in a couple of weeks to monitor the bleed, so I will let you all know how that goes. I firmly believe that this baby is a miracle!
Theresa
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby lylapeyton » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:05 am

Wow Theresa I am so happy to hear that!! Congratulations...
This story is so inspiring...
I'm going through the same thing right now and I'm patiently waiting to see what will happen...you've given me so much hope :)
God bless!!
lylapeyton
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby nicole729 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:57 am

This is such a wonderful and inspiring story. Sure hope my story ends this way. Still waiting to m/c.. only having spotting brown but not much at all. Still feel prego. I pray my levels dropped because of the same reason and pray the USD was wrong.
For you created my inmost being; You knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made: My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in the secret place. PSALMS 139: 13-16
nicole729
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories