Amazed!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Amazed!

Postby liv9404 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:43 pm

I'm 23 and DH is 26. We've been married since Oct of 2007 and this November we decided it was time to start trying for a family. After 2 months we got pregnant, which was a huge relief and surprise! I never thought it would happen so fast!

According to my LMP I was about 8 weeks when I went to the ER with cramping in my fallopian tubes. I expressed my fear of an ectopic with the ER doctor and nurses and they gave me an ultrasound. After waiting 8 hours in the ER the doctor came to me and said, "I'm sorry but you have a blighted ovum, the baby didn't develop and you did nothing wrong."

I remember asking him, "is there any hope?" and he replied, "no, sorry". He suggested I get a D&C because waiting to have a natural miscarriage can be heartbreaking and dangerous and he gave me a referal to a doctor who could do a D&C for me that week."

I went home and talked (more like cried) with my husband and we both thought it best to wait out a natural miscarriage. As the weeks went by nothing happened, no cramping bleeding, just increasing pregnancy symptoms. I thought nature was playing a mean trick on me at that point so I considered the D&C but knew I couldn't get one without a second opinion first.

Trying to get a second opinion was like pulling teeth. My doctors office was less than helpful in refering me to an OB. At one point the secratary told me that I should just go and get a D&C and she didn't understand why I needed a second opinion if the baby was already dead. My husband and I gave up hope with the doctors office and took matters into our own hands.

This Tuesday (3/9) we went to another hospital 30 minutes away from us and explained our need for a second opinion. While getting my ultrasound the technician said to me " I'm very happy you decided to get a second opinion because there's a heartbeat!" She showed me the baby and the heartbeat as well as got my husband and showed him too!

I measured 8w6d. This means I ovulated 5.5 weeks after my LMP. When I went for my first ultrasound where I was misdiagnosed I would have only been 5.5 weeks, too early to see anything in my tilted uterus. The doctor who misdiagnosed me never offered me a follow up and never told me that the sac was only measuring 5 weeks. His mistake could have cost me aborting my child.

Please please please, if you have been diagnosed with any type of miscarriage make sure you follow up and make sure, before you take any surgical measures. You could save a life! I did!
liv9404
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby nenasangel » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:17 pm

What a wonderful story. Thank You so much for sharing. I will be praying for you, hubby and your little blessing.
Hoping & Praying
nenasangel
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby praying4twins » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:21 pm

that is a beautiful story! glad you had the strength to get a second opinion!
Diane
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/265357
DS 8/98 DD 9/00 DD 2/02 DS 4/04
praying4twins
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby praying4twins » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:22 pm

please keep us updated on you and the baby!
Diane
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/265357
DS 8/98 DD 9/00 DD 2/02 DS 4/04
praying4twins
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories