Cautiously optimistic after 2 blighted ovums in a row

If you've had a miscarriage and have a story of hope (i.e. successful pregnancy or any blessing), we'd love to hear it.

Cautiously optimistic after 2 blighted ovums in a row

Postby Lucky #3 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:05 pm

Last October, my first pregnancy was a blighted ovum. I was devastated. The doctor did not explain much but sent me to the lab for 2 successive HCG tests. The HCG level had not doubled as expected so before I knew what was happening, I was immediately scheduled for a D&C the next day.

In January we decided to try again. Lots of people told us how miscarriage and blighted ovum is a one-time fluke. For us, it wasn't. In April I was diagnosed with a 2nd blighted ovum. I chose to proceed without intervention until the 11th week, when I finally asked for misoprostol.

My husband & I were further devastated. We wondered what was wrong with us and went through numerous tests, all of which came back normal. You almost wish they'd find something so at least then you'd know what was wrong.

After wisely waiting a few months to give ourselves time to heal, I got pregnant right away in September. I have a new, amazing doctor whom I trust. She sent me to a radiologist for an early scan at 6 weeks and we saw the heartbeat!

We were afraid to get too excited just yet. At our 8 week appointment, the peanut measured right on 8 weeks and the heartbeat was stronger! We are now so excited and cautiously optimistic!

For those wondering, the only things I did differently were to give myself ample time to physically & emotionally heal, reduce stress in my life, and start a month early on a prenatal, extra folic acid & baby aspirin.

Here's to hoping that in May there will be a much longed for, much loved miracle! I wish the same for all of you, too!
Lucky #3
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to After the Miscarriage - Stories of Hope