heartbeat

heartbeat

Postby haileysue » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:38 am

Last Jan my daughter miscarried at 12 weeks, after not finding a heartbeat an ultrasound was done and it was discovered it had died at 8 weeks.
She is pregnant again and at 7 weeks an ultrasound was done and a strong heartbeat was detected. What are the chances of a miscarriage occuring after there is a strong heartbeat. Last time no ultrasound was done this early so it isn't know if there was a heartbeat that time or not. None of us can totally relax and enjoy because we are afraid after last time.
haileysue
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby namaste11 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:28 pm

I am so sorry for your daughter's loss.

In general, one miscarriage does not indicate any increased risk to future pregnancies. So your daughter's chances of this being a perfectly normal pregnancy going all the way to term are just about the same as anyone else's.

From a strictly numerical, or statistical standpoint, I've copied the below pieces of text from a website called BabyCenter.com. I hope you find it helpful.
Miscarriage is the loss of a pregnancy in the first 20 weeks. About 15 to 20 percent of known pregnancies end in miscarriage, and more than 80 percent of these losses happen before 12 weeks. This doesn't include situations in which you lose a fertilized egg before you get a positive pregnancy test. Studies have found that 30 to 50 percent of fertilized eggs are lost before a woman finds out she's pregnant, because they happen so early that she goes on to get her period about on time.

Once your baby has a heartbeat — usually visible on ultrasound at around 6 weeks — your odds of having a miscarriage drop significantly.

I would really encourage you and your daughter's family to try to relax as much as possible because the stress and worry really isn't healthy for her, and truly the odds are in her favor at this point. I do know personally very well how much easier it is said than done, as I am also waiting to get to my first pre-natal visit to confirm the new pregnancy I am carrying. I'm both somewhat apprehensive and at the same time looking forward to seeing the heartbeat on our first ultrasound following a miscarriage.

Congratulations to you and your daughter, and I wish you both the best for a continued healthy, smooth pregnancy.

E> Andy
Andy (38) and Jack (36)
Anna Kate (7y) Jacqueline (5y) Alexandra (2y) Samantha (2y) Vanessa (newborn)
5 precious souls in heaven playing with our dog McKinley
namaste11
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to General Anxiety while Pregnant