Post-Miscarriage, Recovery and possibly pregnant?

Find support from other moms who have been there and other moms who are also waiting.

Post-Miscarriage, Recovery and possibly pregnant?

Postby maybebaby99107 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:26 am

Sorry - this is a rambling story/question. I'd love insights from others.

I experienced what was probably the beginning of my miscarriage on 1/26 (spotting). I had light spotting for three days. I didn't even know i was pregnant, as I'd had what I thought was my period on 1/14 (conception was NYE... period was only 4 days, which is short for me). I had felt like I may be pregnant from about four days after conception... although I didn't get overt morning sickness and sore breasts until right around time I miscarried. Spotting is what prompted POAS on 1/27, which was positive. I had bloodwork confirming pregnancy on 1/27. SO and I also made love on 1/24... by 1/29, my pregnancy tests were negative, and this was confirmed by blood test a few days later. I began bleeding heavily (period-like blood, but no clots, no cramps, no tissue) on 2/4 and bled until 2/11 (my periods are normally 7 days, so this is nothing new).

My first "symptoms" of pregnancy were a burning lower back/sacroiliac pain, which began four days after conception. It was worse at night, and my hips would pop and crack whenever I tried to roll over. I believed I was pregnant until 1/13, when I took a pregnancy test that was negative, then I began period the next day. Thought I was not pregnant. I felt "normal" while bleeding during miscarriage... no cramping, etc. The nausea started to fade, and the sore breasts (holy cow, they were sore!) subsided. This week, after the bleeding stopped, my back has started to hurt again, crampy uterus (all across this time, whereas last time it was mostly one-sided), and I keep getting waves of nausea.

I have several "possibilities" that have popped into my head through this situation:

1. Could I have not actually miscarried, even though I showed low hcg on 1/27(33 hcg, at what should have been approximately 4 wks fetal age, or 6 weeks from last period), and none around 1/29? I mean... I still even had my period. The nurse at the clinic I went to told me that she, personally, bled her entire pregnancy and had negative tests... her doctor finally agreed to give her ultrasound at 5 months because she insisted, and lo and behold, she was pregnant. So... I mean... is it possible to have odd, fluctuating hormones?
2. Could I have miscarried and become immediately pregnant, since my HCG was so low, and then dropped to nothing within 5 days of unprotected sex?
3. Are these symptoms in my head?
4. Is my body just "recovering" from short pregnancy? Uterus shrinking, digestive system finding it's normal speed, back getting over shot of "relaxin", and that's whats causing cramps/pain/nausea?
maybebaby99107
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Post-Miscarriage, Recovery and possibly pregnant?

Postby MamaBee » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:14 pm

Ok. I'm really confused even though I've read your post multiple times. :-)

You think conception was on New Years Eve (NYE)? Was this the only possible time?
The bleeding on the 14th may have been implantation bleeding. That would be the normal timing.

If this was a miscarriage it was very early and may seem like a normal period. Or maybe you DID have period like bleeding while still pregnant. That has happened to me. I guess all you can do is wait and take good care of yourself. In a month or two an Ultrasound may give some answers.

Another possibility is that you are not yet completely over the miscarriage- thus the lingering symptoms. But that's not too likely, IMO.
MamaBee
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby maybebaby99107 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:27 pm

Hi Mamabee... sorry for the confusion. Was trying to be concise :/ Longish story to follow...

Yes, NYE (12/31 and 1/1) would have been the definite conception date, as I had not had sex for about 5 months prior to that (long story, I'll spare you, haha). The next time we had sex was 1/24. So... timeline of events:

1/1: BD
1/10: POAS, Negative
1/13: POAS, Negative (day before expected period... which has been on a consistent 31 day cycle since I began tracking in November)
1/14: Period-Like Bleeding, lasting 4 days (was convinced I wasn't pregnant, due to negative tests and "period")
1/4-1/27: Varying levels of nausea throughout day, random motion sickness (watching people's faces move while talking even made me dizzy!), incredibly sore/burning sacroiliac-joint area, hot flashes, heart burn, flu-ish feeling... etc.
1/24: BD
1/26: Light spotting
1/27: POAS, POSITIVE!!!! :D :D :D Confirmed by POAS at Doctor's office, too
1/28: US, no evidence of pregnancy. Bloodwork - confirmed pregnancy with HCG of only 33... doctor said I could have actually conceived on 1/24 and blood blood would likely be at that level if implantation occured quickly. Also said that, with that low of an HCG level, nothing would have shown up on the US anyhow. Breasts started to get swollen and increasingly sore this day
1/29-1/30: POAS (3 different brands), CBE = negative, EPT = negative, FRER = light positive, then negative
Bloodwork around 1/30 confirmed that HCG was "undetectable"
2/4: Heavy bleeding began, and continued until 2/11

During the heavy bleeding, the intensity of the nausea declined, and my breasts went from ridiculously sore to not sore at all... no typical period cramps, etc. No cramping at all, actually. I also passed very few clots, and the ones I did pass were VERY small... just had a really heavy blood flow.

Within 24 hours of the bleeding stopping, my back has started to ache/burn again, and I keep getting nauseated at random, and it's quite intense. Random "twinges" in uterine area that range from an "healing itch" sort of thing to a very light, brief crampy feeling. Craving chocolate like crazy (typical pms symptom, only... I just STOPPED bleeding, which I thought was miscarriage bleeding).

I'm thinking it's probably just my body going back to "normal"... but this whole thing has been a strange rollercoaster. I'm confused, too, lol. The HCG level being so low from a NYE conception didn't make sense, unless I miscarried almost immediately and my numbers were dropping already, and I caught it on the downswing. But... doesn't explain sick feeling, cravings and cramps I'm now getting. If I wouldn't have been pregnant, yesterday would have been the start of my period...
maybebaby99107
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby MamaBee » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:06 pm

#3. It's all in your head. ...joking!

Well, it will be interesting to see how this goes for you. What is your gut feeling?
MamaBee
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Miscarriage (?) Support