Desperately seeking advice

Find support from other moms who have been there and other moms who are also waiting.

Desperately seeking advice

Postby Solpalapody » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:56 pm

Hi all,

I'm currently around 7 weeks with baby #2. I was on fertility treatment (Letrozole) as I am polycystic. Round 2 was an unmonitored cycle as we were away for a month. I'm not sure if I ovulated late or early. The cycle before this one was a later ovulation.

My first hcg test at around 4 weeks was 212.

I went for a 7 week scan. The foetal pole was present and scanned at 6w 5d. There was a yolk sac. The gynae expressed concern that it was too big and baby too small based on the dates we thought I was at. Then she looked for the heartbeat - nothing.

That day I went for an hcg test. It was around 9000. I did another one 48 hours later - around 10 000. That's only a 11 or so percent increase which the gynae says is a definite sign of a miscarriage. She's booked me for a d&c in two days time.

I'm in denial even though she's very certain. No cramps, no bleeding. Nauseous and sore boobs. I am on progesterone though.
Solpalapody
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Desperately seeking advice

Postby Peekay » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:03 pm

Hi Solpalapody,

I'm so sorry you are going through this- it's never easy. I'm no expert at all but I just recently went through something similar. My story did not have a happy ending- however, I am alive and well and have that to be thankful for.

At my first prenatal appointment which included a dating u/s I too was told my pregnancy was not viable. My HCG levels only increased by 9% in 48 hours. What I learned is that 1) HCG levels don't have to double every 48 hours once your levels reach 6000, and 2) miscarriages can often be misdiagnosed, especially when you have a tilted uterus.

I chose to not rush to end my pregnancy until I knew FOR SURE it was not viable. You have the right to seek a 2nd, even 3rd opinion if you so wish. You have the right to request a follow up u/s 1 to 2 weeks later- so long as your health is not in danger.

I wasn't having cramping or bleeding either, until exactly one week after my first prenatal appointment and before I was able to get in for a second u/s. Don't feel pressured by your doctor to follow through with the D&C if you are not comfortable with it. While my story did end with a miscarriage and with a trip to the ER and a suction and curettage due to heavy non-stop bleeding, I am happy that I chose to wait it out.

This is a very personal decision and no one should feel pressured to do something they are not comfortable with. Again, I stress, as long as your health and life are not at risk- you can choose to wait it out and miscarry naturally and/or seek 2nd and/or 3rd opinions. You have a voice!

Hang in there! Be well and will be thinking of you (((hugs)))
Peekay
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:09 pm

So difficult to know what is going on. Stay monitored and I hope you get your answer soon. (((Hugs)))
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby Solpalapody » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:38 pm

Thanks, Kay.

Levels only went up 10% over 48 hours. I went for another scan. Baby did not have a heartbeat and was a few days smaller. Gynae was very through and showed me that although my body sees me as pregnant, there was no activity in the sac itself.

I had a d&c yesterday. I am devastated but I also feel closure. I have one little boy already and that, at least, brings me comfort.
Solpalapody
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:23 pm

I am so sorry. Huge (((hugs)))
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Miscarriage (?) Support