Do I need to have my progesterone level checked?

Do I need to have my progesterone level checked?

Postby InHisTime » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:31 am

I am 38.5, and have had 3 healthy pregnancies/deliveries. In Nov., I had my first documented miscarriage at 12 weeks (the baby stopped growing at 9w 6d). I had a period starting Dec 23, and had a + hpt Jan 19th and again Jan 25th.

I did not realize until talking to a friend today and then reading on this board, that one's progesterone level can decline with age...my breasts are not tender, and they weren't with my last pregnancy that miscarried - but I had just weaned my daughter before getting pregnant. My friend thot that could be a sign of low progesterone - not having tender breasts. With my previous pregnancies...I can't remember being bothered by that symptom, except maybe some with my first. My Mom says she was never bothered by that much either with her 6 pregnancies.

Does a m/c due to low progesterone usually happen really early, or is it common to maintain a pregnancy for 9-10 weeks or even later before the progesterone level causes a m/c?

If my level is low, is it too late to start on supplements? I'm assuming that answer is probably no, as I haven't had any signs of pending m/c.

I have not seen a doctor yet, and wasn't in a big hurry as I do not want an early US - want to avoid unneccesary heartache if possible (from misdiagnosed problems)! But I do not want to neglect something that could help keep this pregnancy. Your advice is appreciated!

~Judy
InHisTime
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby april1979 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:47 pm

I would call a DR and just let them know that you want to have your HCG and progesterone monitored as you have a history of miscarriage and that you do not want an early u/s..most clinics would be happy to do this for you...many prayers coming your way...I hope that you get great news!!
april1979
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby HOH » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:26 pm

My case is similar. I'm 37.5 and had two healthy pregnancies before having a "missed abortion" in November. The bean had stopped growing at 6w1d but I didn't find out until about 8 weeks and then had a D&C at 9 weeks. At nearly 8 weeks my hcg was 26,000 and my progesterone was only 10. There's no way to know if that was cause or effect.

I'm PG again (only 4w2d) and just got back bloodwork results. My HCG is 600 and my progesterone is 14. The nurse said the progesterone is low, but the doctor was pleased with the results overall and I didn't need to come back in until a regular appt. However, I pointed out the progesterone problem last time (it was a different doc) and she immediately said to come back in after all. I don't know how quickly it should increase, but we'll see if it's any different.

Praying for #3!
HOH
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby kelly1969 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:20 pm

The same thing happened to me. I even saw a normal heartrate with both pregnancies (179 bpm at 8 weeks). Then at 8 weeks I started spotting and m/c'd a few days ago. I am convinced it was low progest but they never tested my progest. levels. How can you have two totally normal pregnancies that lead to fetal demise at 8 weeks. Please let me know how things are going with your situation. You should see if doctor can start you on prometrium earlier next time. Call it a mothers intuition but after two healthy pregnancies I am convicnced this is progest related.Please email me at kellygirl4you2002@yahoo.com

First beta 7 weeks 6617
Second Beta 7weeks 6 days 10711

P.S. For all those trying to conceive try geritol tonic it worked both times for me in less than two cycles.
kelly1969
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Possible Miscarriage - Progesterone Issues