Miscarriage 6wks3days????

Miscarriage 6wks3days????

Postby faith4baby2010 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:27 pm

I had first mc at 7 weeks and never had my progesterone checked. So when i got pregnant again i asked the doc to prescribe progesterone. She said no if the pregnancy was going to end it will end no matter what. At 16dpo beta = 456 progesterone 15.2 18dpo beta 1059 at 24dpo 8899
First ultrasound my doc saw everything but no fetal pole. She said y dates might be off. She told me to come back in a week. In a week 6weeks 3 days she saw a small hb. 6 days later i had small cramps to be on the safe side i went to the ER and found out i mc at 6weeks 4 days. A day after my ultrasound. I went back to my doc and she confirmed the mc. i asked her to check my progesterone level she said that will not tell her anything i said i just to know for myself. 7 days after my mc my progesterone was 10.1

This doctor is a fertility doc. I had a started going to her because i had a miscarriage before and then i got pregnant on my own before we did anything. I was thing about doing IVF.
Do you think progesterone is the culprit?? I am 42 yo.
Faith(42) married to DH (40)
TTC #1 since 08/09: 1st m/c 11/09 2nd mc 6/10
faith4baby2010
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Miscarriage 6wks3days????

Postby Kay » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:51 pm

Progesterone definitely becomes an issue for us older moms. I cannot understand why she did not prescribe progesterone for you. Was this the cause of your miscarriage though? No way to know. I'd find another doctor and stay on top of your progesterone for the next pregnancy.

(((hugs)))
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby WillsTLC » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:58 pm

Hi,

I am so sorry for your loss. I too am unsure why they didn't prescribe progesterone. It seems there are Drs. who believe in progesterone supplements 100%, Drs. that refuse to believe in the benefit, and Drs. that don't necessarily believe in it, but will prescribe in patient asks for it.

I am a 40 yr old mom who has pcos. My first child was conceived when I was 22, first month off the pill, normal pregnancy, delivered 5 weeks early due to pre-e.

I was unable to get pregnant for the following 10 years, seeked fertility treatment, and conceived on clomid, and supplemented thru 16 weeks with prometrium. Normal pregnancy.

Next pregnancy, conceived on my own, started spotting @ 10wks, added prometrium, spotting stopped, DS born 8 weeks early due to possible abruption.

Next pregnancy conceived on my own. I demanded prometrium, was told, as you were that it wouldn't prevent a m/c if that was what was to happen. DH and I saw lil HB on u/s, the entire 8 weeks spotted, and day after u/s I m/c.

Next pregnancy, again conceived on my own, had a very strong feeling I was pg @ just a lil over 2 weeks into my cycle, demanded prometrium, Same Dr as before agreed for my piece of mind, positive test a week later, and my darling DD will be 1 on Tuesday.

I absolutely swear to the use of prometrium. I have 3 children as a result of the use of prometrium. It is a normal and mandatory hormone produced in early pregnancy, and many times does need supplemented as we get older, until the placenta takes over making it. It is my understanding that you can't have too much of it, as you supplement the body takes what it needs, and excretes the rest. It is somewhat unknown for sure when the placenta takes over, somewhere between 10-12 weeks normally. In my case I take it at the very least into the 16th week, just to make sure. During my last pregnancy I also took 1 baby aspirin a day, which my Dr didn't necessarily agree with, but couldn't give me a good reason not to.

I say find a Dr who does believe in the benefits of supplementing. Another good argument for your side is this...Progesterone will not prevent a m/c if that is what is meant to happen for any other reason other than low progesterone.

Again I'm very sorry for your loss. I completely understand what you are going through. My prayers are with you.
DD born 9/93 5 wks early due to Pre-e
DD born 2/04 conceived late on clomid/prog
DS born 5/05 conceived naturally/prog/8wks early
M/C 8/16/07
BFP 10/18/08. DD born 6/15/09 5lbs 3oz
WillsTLC
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby faith4baby2010 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:09 pm

Thank you and sorry about your loss too. I don't understand these doctors. It the supplements won't cause any harm why not give it to the patient.
Faith(42) married to DH (40)
TTC #1 since 08/09: 1st m/c 11/09 2nd mc 6/10
faith4baby2010
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Possible Miscarriage - Progesterone Issues