Very Low Progesterone, Slow Rising HCG

Very Low Progesterone, Slow Rising HCG

Postby twinboysplus » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:01 am

Hi all,
I also posted in the HCG section as well, but thought I would post here as well to see if anyone had any insight.

I have had infertility issues in the past and conceived and had my first 3 sons (2 pregnancys) through IVF with no problems. About 2 years ago, my husband and I conceived son #4 naturally with no problems.

Last month (April), I had a really strange period brownish discharge with blood for three days. But I took preg test before the period and a week after the period and got - neg tests. Well, five weeks after that I realized that I still hadn't had a period so I took another test which came back +pos. I went for bloodwork the next day. The results for that were HCG around 3200 and a Progesterone level of 4.7. They said to come back in a week for a retest. I went back this past Wed exactly one week later. They said the HCG level was around 6700 and my progesterone was 4.0 . I had some ovary pain so they said to come in for a u/s to rule out ectopic. They ruled out ectopic and saw a 6 week gest. sac but nothing else. I met with Dr. after u/s she said it didn't look good. She was more concerned with my numbers not doubling than anything. I asked her about the low progesterone and possible supplements but she said that in her experience that it only prolonged the inevitable bleeding. She said that she was giving it a 90% chance of miscarriage and 10% of everything being ok.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
twinboysplus
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:56 pm

I wish so much your doctor had started you on supplements as soon as she knew about the low progesterone. It truly can change the course of a pregnancy if you have low progesterone. Sounds like this doctor did not do enough for you. You might want to consider a new doctor.

(((hugs)))
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

The beginning of the end? *update*

Postby twinboysplus » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:06 pm

Hi,
I really have enjoyed reading the stories on this website and have found much comfort. Unfortunately, I think this the beginning of the end for me. Like I said the Doctor gave me 90% chance of miscarriage and I think that is what is happening. :(
I went to the bathroom this evening and when I went to wipe there was a bloody show on the tp. Shortly there after I started feeling this heavy pressure in my back. My legs feel like bricks. I am nervous about what is to come as I have a history of a low tolerance to pain.
This being said, I feel really at peace with what is happening. I do have a strong relationship with Jesus and I truly believe that it his supernatural peace that is sustaining me. I have been truly blessed with a wonderful husband and 4 beautiful healthy boys. When we found out we were pregnant this time around I took it like I won the lottery. When the Doctors said there was trouble, I looked for signs of hope. I thought maybe there would be a chance. Regardless of this lottery, I already feel rich.
Again, I thank you for the support. I had blood drawn today, and am scheduled for trans vaginal u/s and dr. appt. tomorrow. I'm not sure if I should call tonight and let them know what is going on or just wait until morning. I think I will play it by ear. I wish all who read this, who are in limbo regarding their pregnancies, the best. If I could give you any advice, talk to the Lord. He truly does hear us, and love us.

Here's lyrics to a song that I have been listening to. The song is called "I am found in you" and it is by Steven Curtis Chapman:

The sun sink low
and here I go
wrestling with questions that refuse and answer
this path of faith
can be a place
so barren of what I understand
I can hear
the voice of fear
saying let me show you annother way
so I cry out my Lord Jesus
It's in your love for me that I find all that I need

So where else could turn
and where else could I go
you have given me life
you have made me whole
you have rescued my soul
so where else could I go for I am found in you

I may not see in front of me
But I can see for miles when i look over my sholder
and Lord it's clear
You've brought me here
so faithful every step of the way
What can I do but follow you
For you are the Way, the Truth, the Life
So I cry out my Lord Jesus
it's in your love for me
that I find all that I need

So where else could turn
and where else could I go
you have given me life
you have made me whole
you have rescued my soul
so where else could I go for I am found in you

All I've been made for so there is no where else I could go
I am found in you
found in you

Thanks again,

Renee
twinboysplus
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:44 am

I love Steven Curtis Chapman's music.

I am so sorry to hear about how this is ending. Please, consider finding a new doctor for next time and explain the low progesterone. If they catch the progesterone early enough, it really can change the direction of some pregnancies.

(((hugs))) and prayers.
my blighted ovum scare

If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby charlenes1 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:16 am

I am so sorry to hear of what your going thru, Renee. Oh, how we all have been in a place of unknown but you are correct in where you are "resting." I could never go thru my trials or pains without my relationship with Christ also. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
I completely agree with Kay, please seek a new Dr. I also believe your Dr. should have immediately put you on progesterone when you got your first results back.
Continue listening to the music that rest your soul and stay in His Word - He will carry you thru this!
Blessings~
Charlene
For this child I prayed; and the Lord hath given me my petition which I asked of Him.
1 Samuel 1:27
charlenes1
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Thanks for the Support

Postby twinboysplus » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:31 pm

I just got back from the Dr. My bleeding had stopped last night but had a little brown discharge this am, so I went ahead with the transv u/s and appt. this morning. We saw the gest. sac but again nothing inside it. I am about 7 w 3 d. Anyway, my levels again rising slowly but nothing looked promising. I saw a different Dr. within the practice than who I saw last week. I was able to tell him all of my concerns regarding the progesterone levels, and he was very receptive. He says that he really believes that it wouldn't have helped me this time around, but he told me that if I were to conceive again in the future and had low progesterone levels that he would be more than willing to give the supplements a try and said that they wouldn't hurt. He explained that they were gross and very expensive but he wouldn't have any problem with that. He gave me my three options which I was prepared for because of this site (i.e. a pill to speed the process, d&c, or a natural misscarriage). I said I would like to try and do this naturally. We did set up an appt. for June 16 if nothing happens or to call earlier if things get going. He also gave me a prescription for oxycodone for the pain. I told him I was concerned as I have a real low tolerance of pain. He was very supportive. Anyway, God is good. Everything went as well as could go under the circumstances. I am hoping that this isn't a long process, but I don't think it will be as I am again wiping blood and cramping at the moment.

Thanks for the support. And I truly feel blessed to have found this site. I hope the very best for all of you out there in limbo. I thank God for the unimaginable peace that I have, to the point that I could feel joy for the 13 week pregnant woman I sat next to in the office today that is having her first child.

Sincerely,
Renee
twinboysplus
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:57 pm

Renee, what a blessing you are as well. You truly have grace.

I am glad you have that follow-up appointment. By that time, if nothing happens, I think your doctor will be a good help.

(((hugs))) and prayers. Keep us updated.
my blighted ovum scare

Kay

Hoping its over

Postby twinboysplus » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:48 am

So,

Kay, thank you for your kind words. They really do mean a lot.

So, I have been cramping and bleeding pretty much since Friday. I have passed a lot of blood and some clots and the pain is bad. Sometimes the oxycodone works and sometimes it doesn't and I have to alternate it with some ibuprofen. I am hoping that it is pretty much over. I haven't had any clots since Sunday and my pain is few and far between but still there. I called the Dr. and they want me to come in for blood and u/s tomorrow. I am hoping and praying that it is over because I really don't want to have a d&c on top of this. To add insult to injury, on Saturday morning I woke up to my Car door open. I forgot to lock it, anyway someone went through my car, found my pocket book that I hide under my coat, dumped it in my driveway, and stole my wallet and credit cards. Thank God, I didn't have anything of value in it. We ended up finding my wallet later that day in the bushes with everything taken out and thrown around. By that time we had cancelled all my credit cards and put a freeze on our bank accounts. What a weekend. Still I feel God is with me. Life is roller coaster. There are hills and valleys. I am in a valley right now, but I truely believe there are hills just around the bend.
I will keep you updated. Keep on praying.

Thanks,

Renee
twinboysplus
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby themorethemerrier » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:20 pm

It's never just one thing, is it? You seem to be handling your loss well, which is a blessing. Just remember, it's okay to feel hurt or angry or lost or empty or all of the above. God doesn't expect us not to be human, and He knows we can't understand all His ways. I really believe He feels our pain with us and is big enough to take our questions and even our anger. I pray that you will heal quickly and move on to better days. God bless.
You can read my story of miracle triplets, loss, and, one day, new hope at
http://www.squidoo.com/pregnantwiththree
themorethemerrier
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Oh no, I am so sorry. You really are going through a time right now. You are so right...focus on those hills. Sometimes the lower the valley, the higher that hilltop experience.

Continuing to pray for you.
my blighted ovum scare

Kay

All is Complete. Praise the Lord

Postby twinboysplus » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:31 pm

I had a blood test and u/s on Wednesday to determine if everything has passed. I was anxious because I didn't want to have to have a D&C as well. The u/s tech was nice (this is the 3rd time I had seen her in 3 weeks). She said that she didn't see any signs of POC, she did say my uterus was measuring still at 8 weeks but nothing inside. She said that the Dr. would have to make the call. I went up to check out and they said they wanted me to see a nurse practitioner before I left. All the nurses there were being super nice. Apologizing for the wait, offering me crackers and a drink while I waited. It was funny because at this point, I was feeling fine with everything. I saw the NP and she said that it looks at this point that the bleeding should stop within the next few days (which it has), and that they wouldn't have to see me again unless I had pregnancy symptoms (hallelujah). I got a call the next day and they said that my levels were way down, which was good, but that the Dr. would like me to follow up in a month. So, other than that it was a really tough experience but the way I see it. It was another trial that I went through and came out on the other side. I am so thankful for my faith in Christ, because I really felt as though I was never alone through any of this.

Good Luck to all of you who are in limbo. Just remember that you are not alone. God hears us, he feels our hurt, and loves us through the roughest times. I truly believe that I have one more baby in my future (hopefully a little girl to go with these 4 boys) :) . Right now was not meant to be. I see areas in my life that I need to make changes, and when the time is right, I will feel that joy again.

Best wishes, and thanks for all of the support. It really helped.

Sincerely,
Renee
Proud Wife and Mom to 4 Beautiful Boys
Luke and Logan born 7/01
T.J. born 11/03
Caleb born 8/06
M/C 6/08
twinboysplus
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:07 am

Renee, take all the time you need. We'll always be here and we would absolutely love to share in that joy next time you have a positive test :)
my blighted ovum scare

Kay

Postby zepplin305 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:47 am

I also have been told that at 5 Weeks pregnant, my HCG levels are low and slow rising. Also, my progesterone levels are low. My doctor is putting me on progesterone suppositories. I just don't know what to think and want to hope for the best right now, but can't help but feel down right now.
zepplin305
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Possible Miscarriage - Progesterone Issues