Should I have been on progesterone?

Should I have been on progesterone?

Postby Bonbon » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:32 pm

I became pregnant with my 5th pregnancy on January 9th, 2008 (I have 3 kids, ages 11, 8 and 7 and had my first spontaneous miscarriage from a blighted ovum 4 1/2 months ago).

At 5 weeks gestation, I had some brown spotting immediately following an ice hockey practice. I called the doctor. He said the hockey was fine and that I was probably passing the blood from implantation. He also checked serial HCGs which were appropriate and rising.

At 6+2 they saw a fetal pole with a heartbeat and at 8 weeks I had a normal prenatal visit. However, I continued to have brown spotting following ice hockey practices. The doctor said that the hockey was fine.

Then this Friday, after a day sitting at my desk at work (more than 48 hrs after my last hockey practice) I had brown spotting that progressed to red spotting, passing small clots and then finally a spontaneous miscarriage yesterday.

Interestingly, a week ago Sunday, I had massive mood swings where I cursed out my husband (threatening to sue his butt) and even yelled at my kids. Then, the next day, I started having drenching night sweats that were similar to the sweats I had following my D&C for my blighted ovum miscarriage - which the doctors said were related to the changing hormone levels following the D&C.

Could it have been that I had low progesterone levels? No one ever thought to check. Should I have been on progesterone?

We realy want to try again. Given that I have had 2 miscarriages within 20 weeks of each other, should this be a no-brainer going forward?

Thanks all for listening. I am completely heartbroken...
Bonbon
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby CGR » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:00 pm

Oh, that is so sad. I'm so sorry for your losses. I lost two last year and really understand your pain.

I think it is normal to be really emotional and have your body go through all sorts of wacky changes after a m/c. I don't think that it points directly to a progesterone issue. If you are concerned about trying again, you can have your doctor run a panel for possible problems, but since you have other healthy children I think you've just had a string of bad luck.

The next time you get pregnant, have you doctor test your progesterone levels as soon as you get a +HPT, and put you on a supplement, if necessary. It is just one easy blood test and will give you piece of mind or the medicine that you need. Personally, I wouldn't want to take progesterone unless I needed to, based on the blood levels. But my doctor has offered to prescribe it regardless of the testing for my next BFP.

It is totally normal to wonder "what if". Sadly, there is no way of knowing if you should have been on progesterone after the fact.

Hug your three kiddos and know that we are here to support you. I hope that you have a fast recovery. E>
CGR
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Bonbon » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:18 pm

CGR,

Thanks so much for your note! We've been doing a lot of hugging in our house these past few days.

I am eager and anxious at the same time to try again. I really have been looking forward to the ups and downs of new motherhood, yet am scared to go through the m/c thing yet again.

Bonbon
Bonbon
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby CGR » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:11 am

Yes, I hear you on the scared to m/c again thing. My last m/c was 6 months ago and we still keep finding reasons to not tcc. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever feel "ready". Not discounting the pain of the first m/c, but I think it is harder to gather your confidence and resolve after the second one.

But, I know there are lots of people here who will cheer you on and help pull you through. T:)
CGR
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Mystimay » Fri May 30, 2008 12:55 am

I see that this is an old post.

BUT, I think you should ABSOLUTELY be checked for progesterone!!!

I had two miscarriages, the most recent one in January of 2007, at around 8 1/2 weeks.

AND I don't ovulates .... BIG progesterone signs.

I suggest you demand your doc test you so you can try to get that sweet little sticky baby!!
Mysti
Mommy to two, and 10 1/2 wks preggo with a long awaited three, high risk preg. EDD Dec 26!!!

Two previous m/c's Aug 03, Jan 07
Mystimay
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Possible Miscarriage - Progesterone Issues