Second Blighted Ovum this year

This forum is to share our miscarriage stories and, in so doing, help others

Second Blighted Ovum this year

Postby Knitinthewomb » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:39 pm

Last July we were pleasantly surprised to find out we were pregnant with our third. We had a 12 year old and a 7 year old and were not planning. Within the week I began bleeding and ended up going to the ER were I was told I was miscarrying due to a blighted ovum. We went home and I went through it naturally. We were shocked as our first two were easy pregnancies. We decided to not try again. We have always used the rhythm method and in May we were surprised yet again with a positive test at home. I called the obgyn who scheduled blood tests, which showed an HCG of 105 and low progesterone. I was put on supplements and came in for another blood test two days later and HCG had gone to 450. An u/s was scheduled for the end of the week.
We were apprehensively excited. I was definitely having a lot of symptoms and I felt more certain this time around. At the u/s, the tech found an empty gestational sac measuring a week behind (should have been 6 weeks by LMP). We were crushed. The doctor said to keep taking the progesterone and another u/s was scheduled in a week. On pins and needles we waited. My symptoms faded a bit and I had one episode of brownish streaking when I used the restroom. At the second u/s, the results were the same. The sac had grown slightly but still was empty. My doctor was great and told me my options of natural, drug induced or D&C and to stop taking supplements. I chose to go home and wait. It's been a week and while I've had some very slight cramping and some discharge not unlike when I ovulate, nothing has changed. (I'm now at 8 weeks 5 days.)
Not letting myself get hopeful. I know it's just a matter of time. I'm thinking about calling the doctor next week to see about the drug inducement. I do plan to ask for another u/s before I take the drugs though, to make sure, if nothing has happened. I just want this to be over with.
Knitinthewomb
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Second Blighted Ovum this year

Postby Kay » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:58 pm

Let us know how that next ultrasound goes. It was too early to diagnosed. I don't know what you'll find but (((hugs))) I know how difficult it is to wait. Be seen right away if there are any complications
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Miscarriage Stories