NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE

This forum is to share our miscarriage stories and, in so doing, help others

NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE

Postby vharrell0823 » Fri May 28, 2010 1:50 pm

hi, my name is vickie and i am 41 yrs old. i have had 2 normal pregnancies- my son was born in 1991,my identical twin girls in 1997.New husband in 2003 and we didn't plan to have any children.He is 44. I have endometriosis and have had laproscopic surgery in the past to remove cysts. with that said, here is my story.
LMP was on 3/10/10 i have a 32 day cycle.
ovulation was around 29th
BFP was 4/14/10
shock, surprise, fear, all emotions gone thru in about 2 minutes!!!!!!! But most of all delight that i could still get pregnant and that i was pregnant!!!
On 4/21/10 had a gush of blood, bright red, and panicked. went to ER and they said cervix was closed. go home call OB. met OB 4/22/10 had ultrasound and hcg level draw.No more bleeding. Doc said i was 6/1 weeks by LMP but i know conception date of 3/30/10 so i said more like 5. couldnt see anything except sac. don't worry.HCG came back at 690-doc said low.
4/24/10 HCG 1000. still low but wait one week. no bleeding strong preg symptoms
5/03/10 ultrasound showed small gest.sac doc said doesnt look promising but we will wait one week. didnt do HCG count. no bleeding, cramping nothing except feeling pregnant.
5/10/10 ultrasound showed small gest. sac with yolk sac and start of fetal pole. no heartbeat. should be 8/5 weeks by now. i say 7/6 by my calendar. doc said to wait 2 weeks and see if i miscarry. he was sure i would within that week. no bleeding or cramping but i noticed within the week to come that preg. symptoms were going away.
5/24/10 ultrasound showed small empty sac. doc said i need D&C to remove. now he mentions blighted ovum, but i reminded him that there was a yolk and beginning of fetal pole. he said my body absorbed it. so, now he says it's a missed miscarriage. need to schedule d&c.
5/27/10 i asked for ultrasound at hospital(because all others were by him in his office). that would be my 2nd opinion. i should have been 11/1wks. yesterday. they found a 1mm "spot" that the report indicated that i was pregnant but not sure how far along. the doctor just called me and told me this and said he has never seen the body wait all this time and reabsorb the tissue like that but that i should just have a normal period in the next few days and no surgery needed. He also said that i could try to conceive right after if i want, but i dont know.
I have never heard of this before in my life, not sure how to react, i guess i'll just wait to see if i have my period and what happens from there. We have decided that we liked the idea of a baby so we do want to try but not sure now what will happen. i think i will be scared to death to think about this happening again. Has anyone ever heard of this before? where everything just vanishes?
I do want to say that this site and the people here are a true blessing from GOD. You all have saved my sanity in all of this and for that I thank you. There are some really courageous women here and i admire you. I am sorry my story got a little long but i just had to share. Thank you all again and God bless you.
vickie
vharrell0823
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE

Postby Kay » Sat May 29, 2010 11:26 am

Oh Vickie, I am so very sorry you are going through this time.

I may have missed it and forgive me if I did but did they monitor your progesterone? I'm a strong believer now after the many stories I've read that women over 35 or so should have their progesterone checked. With age, women can develop a problem with low progesterone which in turn causes problems in pregnancy. Indeed, we have had women tell us and studies indicate that supplements can make a difference in some pregnancies.

If your progesterone was not tested, find out about getting tested before conceiving again. The earlier they catch a progesterone problem the better. Again, not sure if this was an issue but I do know it is an issue for many women in their late 30s and 40s.

(((hugs)))
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby vharrell0823 » Sat May 29, 2010 2:17 pm

thank you for your reply.
the doctor never mentioned progesterone levels and i asked but wasnt given an answer. i thought that could be an issue but trusted my doctor but have learned in the past month that they are like me-only human and subject to mistakes too. i wish now i had gotten a second opinion right after the first diagnosis. that's what makes this so hard to go thru- what if it was something so simple that a pill or shot would have corrected?
thank you for the idea to check levels- when can they do that? should i have hcg checked now to know where things stand with this pregnancy/miscarriage? or will they be at zero when AF starts? i had a checkup this coming tuesday but he cancelled it because he said there is no need.he didn't even recommend i come back until i need BC or have a BFP. how long should i wait for AF-he seems sure it will be this week but I dont really feel like it is about to happen.
the limbo continues-waiting for a heartbeat, now waiting for AF...............
vickie
vharrell0823
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sat May 29, 2010 9:10 pm

You could schedule an appointment just to make certain your levels drop below five and to discuss monitoring progesterone. Before you go, check out this site: http://lowprogesteroneinpregnancy.com/ I know many women have felt the information there beneficial.

One thing to consider with a natural miscarriage. Your body does heal more quickly and many women do say they thought they conceived more easily after a miscarriage. Of course, this is not true for all but I've heard it enough to believe there is something to that.
my blighted ovum scare

If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby vharrell0823 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:59 am

hi Kay. loved the site-great stories and i see how important progestorone is. i don't understand how doctors stress their "early prenatal care" but don't bother to test all these levels when you first become pregnant. It seems like they would give you a complete workup and only do ultrasounds if there was a major problem with numbers. My husband was commenting on the absence of care that i received- they only checked hcg 2 times, and my blood pressure once during the whole 11 weeks, but constantly poked with the trans. ultrasound 7 times!!!
I have started what appears to be a normal period with only a few cramps so they may be right. I am going back to another ob/gyn to have my levels checked and i think i will do a hpt just to see where i stand for now. Thank you again for your support. this site is a blessing.
vharrell0823
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:47 pm

Keep us updated.

I know I don't fully understand why more doctors are not as interested in progesterone levels. I do hear from some women there doctors are on top of the progesterone if they are at risk for low progesterone so those doctors are out there.

(((hugs)))
my blighted ovum scare

Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Miscarriage Stories