My Miscarriage Story--- What to Expect

This forum is to share our miscarriage stories and, in so doing, help others

My Miscarriage Story--- What to Expect

Postby AngelaG » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:48 pm

I'm sharing my story in hopes that it helps other women out there. When I was diagnoised with getting ready to have a miscarriage I wanted information, and I felt there wasn't a lot out there that really helped me understand what was going on. There would be post where women said it was TMI, but that's exactly what I wanted to know.... the details! So that being said, this maybe TMI for some, but I am hoping that it will help others in the future understand what to expect.

Here's my details:

Pregnant for 10 weeks
Baby measured 8 1/2- 9 weeks old but had no heartbeat
I was given the options 1.) Wait for miscarriage to happen naturally 2.) Take pills (inserted vaginally) to speed the process along usually within hours or 3.) schedule a D&C

Here's my story:

I began spotting brown-ish blood on Thursday evening. Not a lot, and I had always heard that brown blood is "old blood", so I called our insurance which has late night nurses and they said that unless the bleeding gets heavier that I didn't need to go to the ER, but they scheduled me to come in to the OB office Friday AM. Friday I woke up and everything seemed to be ok, still spotting some, but still not thinking it's *this*, but as I began to move about and go to the doctor, the bleeding began to gradually get worse, and right before I went in to get an ultrasound I began to bleed heavily (as heavy as your heaviest period day) with mucus. At that point I knew it wasn't good, but you never really *expect* a miscarriage even though you know something is going on. The doctor did a transvaginal ultrasound and instantly seeing my baby on the screen my heart leaped seeing "him" for the first time, and in the same moment my heart sank because I knew seeing the screen that there was an emptyness and lack of life visable... there was no heartbeat. The doctor confirmed that and used all of the normal "technical terms"... not viable, fetus, and my favorite one "missed abortion". He sent me to have another ultrasound done by an ultrasound tech, so again it was confirmed, and I was given my options. I chose to do the pills, which I inserted as soon as I got home. My instructions were that this would be like a "heavy period", and he gave me Percocet for pain. I was told the pills would begin to work within the hour and the actual miscarriage would take 3-4 hours or so. The pills did not work for me the first time, which was unexpected because from the sounds of the doctor it was a no-fail deal.

I went back 3 days later for an ultrasound to see if "I expelled all the tissue".... I told her the pills didn't work, and she did a transvaginal ultrasound again, and agreed, nothing had happened. This time she put the pills in, and made a point to crush them up and "smear" them inside (gross, I know). The pills were inserted at 2p and I began to feel mild cramping at 7p, and as time went on the cramping began to get worse.

The cramping started out as period cramping, but as it progressed it began to feel like early labor pains. During this time I took my medication, laid in my bed in a dark bedroom, and put soothing music on very low... much as if preparing myself for the birthing process. Doing a lot of "birthing breating" whenever the cramping got to be a bit more intense.

Just like a normal birth there are "levels" to miscarrying. Active miscarriage occured from approximately 1am-6:30a. In the beginning of those hours there was a lot of blood loss, heavy cramping. I took more medication and began to soon feel extremely sick, and while bleeding alot, began to vomit, feel lightheaded and dizzy as well as felt very HOT and sweaty instantly. I didn't know if this was due to taking more medicine than I should have or if it was the process itself, but released a large liver-like clot. Randomly I would go back and forth from the toliet to the bed. I appreciate my husband so much at this time because when I needed to go back, he'd rush out of bed, he tried to help me to the toliet, but all I could do was crawl back because I couldn't stand upright due to pain/pressure in my lower abdomen. I was also thankful to have our daughters stool in the bathroom because my husband sat on that and I could lay my head in his lap while everything happened and honestly, if I didn't have that, I don't know how I could have gotten through it all. I passed 2 of the large liver like clots and fluid mixed with lots of blood. The pain let up and I was able to sleep for 2 hours, and I thought it was over. Then I felt I had to go to the bathroom again, and this was the worst of it, I had loose stools and then felt extremely sick again.... extremely dizzy/light headed, heavy cramping/bleeding, felt the Hotness come over me again and felt instantly sweaty and began to shake mildly, and then the baby passed. It looked like just another large piece of liver, but I just knew instinctively that this was 'it'. Like the doctor said, once it passed I did feel much better... I was amazed how I could feel nearly half dead as I'm tripping out on wayyyy to much medication to feeling like I could stand up and take care of things again. After doing more reading I thought that the baby would come out looking like a baby, or at least in a greyish looking sac. It didn't. I kinda wanted to see the baby, but I'm guessing that God knows what I can handle.

Today is day #2 after the miscarriage and I honestly haven't gotten out of bed much. I'm excessively tired and I know that my blood count is way down because I'm really pale (more than usual!) and am resting and taking vitamins to get my blood count back up. I still feel very dizzy when I stand up and while I want to get back to life, I just feel really weak. Still bleeding as if I'm on my period with small clots every now and again.

I'll have to go back to the ob for another ultrasound to make sure I passed everything. If I didn't then they will have to do a D&C, but as for what I've read, I think I did. As for my thoughts on the overall event, the only part that I don't know if I could do again was the times I felt excessively sick... that was a horrible feeling, as if I didn't have control over my body and I've never broke out into sweats before...honestly if my husband wasn't there at those points I don't think I could do it.

Choosing to miscarry at home or have the D&C done is a personal choice, and honestly I hope I never have to make the decision on what to do should there be a next time, but I felt I needed to share this story with other women out there who maybe experiencing the same thing but aren't sure what to do. One of the benefits I can say I got from miscarrying at home was the moments I had as I laid in bed with the lights off and music playing it was an emotional time to just release my body and also to say "goodbye". Also having my husband go through this with me has made me feel much closer to him almost to the point I'm sure he feels like I'm suffocating him, but I really just want to be cuddled up with him.

If anyone has any questions, please ask, I'll do my best to answer them, and I'm sorry that you have to go through this!!!!
AngelaG
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:12 pm

Angela, thank you for sharing your story. So many women come here wondering what to expect. Personal experiences like yours help so much.

((((hugs)))) I do hope everything looks fine at that next ultrasound. I am really so sorry for your loss.
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Miscarriage Stories