I need advice, please - I don't know what to do!??

I need advice, please - I don't know what to do!??

Postby Verite » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:23 pm

Last MP was 5/17. Conception known to be 5/30 or 5/31.

Positive pregnancy test on June 15th.
On the 16th, started spotting brownish color and very light - had light cramping.

Called OB, they had me come in on 6/18 for HCG, which was 67 - then a repeat on Saturday 6/21 - result was 61.

I was retested again yesterday, level was 78 (throughout the week brown discharge, alternate light, moderate.)

Last evening, started bleeding like regular menstrual cycle.

Dealt with the fact that I am miscarrying, cried for hours, had my appt. with the nurse practitioner today and was ready for her to tell me I was miscarrying.

Instead, she told me it was Ectopic, which really freaked me out - they did an ultrasound, saw nothing in the uterus, I explained that since last evening I was bleeding heavily - could it not be a miscarriage?

Told that I need to go get a Methotrexate immediately. No info given, on whether or not pregnancy could be seen in the tubes.

My OB wasn't even there today, and when we went for the shot, the Dr. at the center suggested I wait until morning and talk to my OB before getting the shot.

I am just wondering if ANYONE has any info on ectopic pregnancy - could I be having a miscarriage? No risk factors for ectopic, which I know it can be random as well, but I can't understand why I was diagnosed this way with the info that they had???
Verite
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby shastep » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:06 pm

I am sorry for your loss and I really think they need to tell you more before you take the shot. I hope your OB can give you more info. If you are still uncomfortable with that your OB says, please seek another opinion.
expecting baby #6 11-3-11
5 HH children ~ 3 Angel babies
shastep
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Verite » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:25 pm

Update - I did decide to wait until talking with my OB before getting the methatrexate shot.

She agreed to do another hcg level, to see if it could be a miscarriage, as I was bleeding pretty freely at this point.

The levels rose from the 78 to 121, and I was diagnosed with ectopic pregnancy.

I am still so overwhelmed and confused and feel so alone. I had the injection on Friday morning and am on bedrest.

I keep second guessing everything, though with hcg levels of 67-61-78-121, it is the general concensus that this was not a viable pregnancy.

Still I am at a loss. I have no history of ectopic in my family, had a healthy daughter 5 years ago, no risk factors for ectopic and still that is what they said I had.

I fear trying again, even when they give us the green light, because my dr. said my chances of another are at 30%.

I am 35 years old, and desperately want another child. My husband has MS, and I am terrified of this happening again. I never thought this could happen to me and I am so very sad right now.
Verite
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby kelif » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:30 pm

I went through this similiar situation last Fall. Found out we were pregnant (I was 35 yrs old too), got excited, then started bleeding a week later. Doctor felt I was miscarrying so we began doing BetaHcg testing. The numbers were rising "appropriately" so everyone thought all was fine. When the numbers starting leveling off, they sent me for a sonogram and found absolutely nothing in my uterus but did see something in the tubes. Because my hcg levels never got over 1000, they did a D&C (doctor said it was standard to always do the D&C first to determine no 'products of conception'), then I got a shot of Methotrexate. I went about my normal business that day with no side effects. I didn't have another period till about 3 months later. We conceived again this May, but just found out on Friday that the heart is no longer beating. I am sadly awaiting the miscarriage. Not sure if that helps but that's my story.
kelif
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby april1979 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:02 am

Please try not to second guess yourself...it sounds like you did the right thing...(((HUGS)))
april1979
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Ectopic Pregnancy