what happened to you after a D&C and methotrexate?

what happened to you after a D&C and methotrexate?

Postby girlathome » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:39 pm

On Friday, I had a D&C in order to test the tissue and confirm a highly suspected ectopic pregnancy. It was, so they followed up immediately with 2 shots of methotrexate.

I asked my doctor then what I should suspect... bleeding, cramping, something passing, pain, etc. and when to expect it. She said I might have minimal bleeding for the next day or two and then nothing else, that my body would absorb the pregnancy.

In my gut that didn't sound right, but I was still under anesthesia, so I didn't push it. I spotted some Friday and then it stopped. I mostly felt good Friday and most of Saturday. Since then I am slowly getting more nausea, more cramping, more fatigue -- and I just started passing some tissue.

I am not too worried, but want to know what to realistically expect. I am guessing a lot of symptoms are from the methotrexate (although they kept telling me that at the low dose they use for ectopics, I would have no symptoms).

I was 6wk1day and my HCG level was probably 700-800. I should be getting all the HCG numbers tomorrow after they get the results from my follow up bloodwork today.

Anyone who has been through a similar situation and wants to share their experience, I would be grateful. Thanks!
girlathome
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby bwilli » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:33 pm

My situation was somewhat similar. I had an ectopic, but just had methotrexate and no D&C. At any rate, I had two rounds of methotrexate. The side effects were not too terribly bad. But it seemed to take a while for the whole thing to be over with. I bled and cramped a little at a time. One day a couple of weeks after the last injection was what I thought was 'it'. Then a couple of weeks later, I had been feeling OK, got off the phone with a friend on a Sunday evening, had bad cramps and passed a lot of blood and clots. That was apparently when my hormones finally dropped to zero. I got my first normal period about four weeks later, then I got pregnant two weeks after that!

I don't know if this helps, but I wanted you to have knowledge of someone else's experience. I'm glad I chose methotrexate versus surgery, but it all depends on the situation, I guess.

How are you doing? Feel free to respond with any questions or concerns.

You are in my prayers.

Beth
bwilli
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby girlathome » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:20 pm

Thanks Beth. That DOES help. It's been a little over a week. So far it has not been terrible: minor sporadic bleeding, some minor abdominal pain and cramping, fatigue, nausea, dizziness, and today I noted that I lost an usual amount of hair while showering and combing -- not noticeable to anyone else, but just what I could see in my fingers and comb. My numbers went from 509 last Friday to 438 on Monday. I had another blood test yesterday and should get results Monday. So I have no idea how far along I am in my journey to zero HCG. I think I am just having anxiety in not knowing what to expect or for how long. And hearing other people's stories kind of helps, so thanks!

Congrats on your follow up pregnancy! Was that recent?
girlathome
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Ectopic Pregnancy