methotrexate update - read this if you had one

methotrexate update - read this if you had one

Postby michelle marie » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:56 pm

I posted several weeks ago, telling my story of a diagnosed ectopic and our decision to treat using methotrexate. Unfortunately for us, two rounds of the drug didn't work and I ruptured yesterday afternoon. Luckily I got to the hospital ASAP and they were able to perform a laprosoctomy (sp?) before I lost too much blood. Unfortunately , my fallopian tube had swollen completely from end to end and they needed to remove it, leaving me with only one. I'm writing this to let other women going through the drug treatment know to STILL be alert for severe cramping, especially if it's localized on one side. My HCG levels had dropped drastically (from 10,000 to 2,000) and I was optimistic about the drug treatment working when I started to get severe cramping, nausea, and dizziness. I felt a little silly going to the ER but am glad that I did - if I had waited or gone home and taken some Tylenol things could have been a lot worse. Preceeding the cramping, for two days I felt extremely bloated, like a balloon about to pop - I'm not sure if one is related to the other, but just thought I would note it. I obviously hope that methotrexate works for everyone that uses it, but please continue to be vigilant after you receive it.
michelle marie
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:15 pm

Oh Michelle, I am so sorry. Yes, I've read that that this is a risk. There are similar risks with the Misoprostol as well. Women need to stay monitored and I hope women read this.

(((hugs)))
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby mmeeccee » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:26 am

I was wondering what happened to you since we had the shot at around the same time. I'm so sorry this happened. I thought, since I didn't see a post, that it worked for you. This is so scary! I'm surprised it ruptured, even after the hcg was dropping??!! I had my second shot a week ago but the hcg only dropped once then continued to rise. I had surgery last Thursday and lost my right tube. I did not rupture and the surgery was not through the ER but it was scheduled the day before. Now, I'm kind of glad I had the surgery. This is so scary!!! Again, I'm sorry this happened to you.
Me- age 36, one tube and fibroids
DH - age 34, 2% morphology

I have completed two IVF cycles. The first ended in a BFN and the second in an ectopic. We plan our third and final cycle for Sept/Oct of 2008.
mmeeccee
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Ectopic Pregnancy