diagnosed ectopic, shot tomorrow

diagnosed ectopic, shot tomorrow

Postby michelle marie » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:20 pm

I have gotten much comfort reading other people's stories over the last two weeks while my husband and I waited...and waited...and waited for some sort of answer. At 5 weeks pregnant I started having spotting, brown, with mild cramps. I went to the doctor and on the day of my appt. started bright red bleeding. They suspected a miscarriage, although my cervix was closed and uterus felt appropriately enlarged. An ultrasound showed nothing...no sac or anything. I had HCG levels tested: 5/21: 1200, 5/23:1700, 5/25:2400, 5/29:4,448, 6/2:9,579. Today, 6/2 with HCG levels up to 9,576 I had another ultrasound that the doctor said showed nothing in the uterus, and a small sac with fetus but no heartbeat somewhere outside of the uterus. They couldn't tell exactly where it was, but it wasn't where it was supposed to be. I am scheduled to have the Mex. shot tomorrow morning. I haven't had any pain other than mild menstrual type cramps, and the spotting/bleeding stopped last week. I thought that maybe everything would be alright even with the slower-than-normal HCG levels...in fact the call from the doctor's tonight with the recent result made me a little nervous about going for the shot...but if the ultrasound showed the sac not in the uterus, I guess it's better not to gamble with it rupturing and get it taken care of now before it causes permanent damage. Well this has been a really incredibly difficult two weeks, and although I'm glad to have an answer and a treatment path to follow I'm still scared and hope that someday my husband and I will have the children we both want. It's comforting to know that many women here have had ectopic pregnancies and gone on to carry children to full term.
michelle marie
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:48 pm

Have you considered a second opinion before having the shot. Of course, you'd need a second opinion right away. If they didn't see the sac in the tubes though, I'm curious, what do they think will rupture? I don't know enough about ectopic pregnancies.

I do know, your numbers are doubling normally right now. They are not rising slowly at all. I show that they are doubling every 64 hours or so and, at this point in the pregnancy, they can take 96 hours or more to double and still be normal.
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby michelle marie » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:28 pm

I opted not to have a second opinion. The ultrasound clearly showed a pregnancy but not in the uterus...it appeared to be just outside the fallopian tube, what I think is called a cornual pregnancy. Having a little more space to grow would explain why my numbers were rising almost normaly, although still low for someone 8 weeks along. I didn't want to risk a rupture while I waited to see another doctor and after two weeks of testing and waiting I trusted that this doctor wasn't one to rush into a decision. I did call a family friend who is a retired OBGYN, he agreed that because fallopian tubes are hollow they can be difficult to see on ultrasound, if the pregnancy is seen but not in the uterus or other identifiable organs (like cervix or ovaries) they assume it's in the fallopian tubes because that is the most likely assumption. Either way...with the pregnancy not in the uterus there is no way it was viable and would be extremely dangerous to me. I feel confident that I made the right decision to protect my health and my ability to hopefully have children in the future. It's been a sad two weeks, and I hope I never have to go through this again. At this point I'm just scared, and sad, and am hoping that the shot works and I have no further complications.
michelle marie
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Mystimay » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:40 pm

I will pray for you that you don't have to deal with any thing else like this again.

I hope you can get the baby you want soon.
Mysti
Mommy to two, and 10 1/2 wks preggo with a long awaited three, high risk preg. EDD Dec 26!!!

Two previous m/c's Aug 03, Jan 07
Mystimay
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:10 am

You're in my prayers. I am so sorry.
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby mmeeccee » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:42 pm

I feel your pain and I'm so sorry you are going through this. I, also, got the shot today. So far, I feel normal. The scary thing is that it can still rupture. My doc couldn't even find my embryo. It's not in the uterus, that's all we know. He thinks it's on the left since the ultra sound hurt on that side. So far, my HCG is up to 1,257. They said it would go up when I get blood drawn 4 days after the shot but should drop a week after. Good luck to you. I know it hurts.
Me- age 36, one tube and fibroids
DH - age 34, 2% morphology

I have completed two IVF cycles. The first ended in a BFN and the second in an ectopic. We plan our third and final cycle for Sept/Oct of 2008.
mmeeccee
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby michelle marie » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:44 pm

Thanks, I appreciate all the well wishes. I will update on how the shot works, and what happens over the next few weeks, for anyone else that may be going through this or facing the possibility. I know for me it has been a huge comfort to hear that I am not alone.
michelle marie
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby CMarie » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:14 am

Sorry to hear about both of you having ectopics. I have had 2 ectopics, one that I had to have my tube removed and one that I had the shot. I had no bad effects from the shot and only required one. They need to monitor your hcg levels to see if another shot is needed and any pain on your side should be reported immediatley. With both a had pain within a week of finding out I was pregnant unfortunatley I had a idiot for a Dr the first time and a Hospital that sent me home 6 times with high hcg levels,no sac in uterus, lots of free fluid and extreme pain. (thats a whole other story)
A loss of a baby is never good no matter what the case but for me the shot was much better and definately better for future chances of pregnancy.
I'm sorry for both of your losses and will pray for you both.
CMarie
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Ectopic Pregnancy