question about the shot

question about the shot

Postby dover » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:56 pm

I would appreciate any feedback from those who have had the methotrexate shot. I most likely have an ectopic, although they can't find it on my u/s and I will be discussing options with my doc tomorrow, because there pretty definitively seems to be nothing in my uterus. After quite an ordeal, I am ready to have some closure so we can start trying again soon. I'm wondering what people's experience with the shot have been? Side effects? How long does it take typically for levels to get back to baseline? Also, is laproscopy still an option if they can't find where the ectopic is? Would they be able to find it if they did the surgery and would that an easier and/or faster option? I've read that it can take months for methotrexate to work and that the side effects can be hell, so I'd appreciate anyone's experience. I'm also not thrilled with the care I've gotten at my doctor, so I'd like to be armed with as much info as possible so I know what questions to ask when I see him tomorrow. Thanks!
dover
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

I had a very similar situation

Postby BabyWatch » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:17 pm

I too was suspected of having an ectopic, due to my low HCG numbers and spotting, although nothing could be found on the internal ultrasound (I was approximately 6 weeks).

My numbers were monitored over a span of about one week. Then I was given the shot, nothing happened. I experienced no cramps, no increased bleeding, nothing. It was as if I never got the shot. My numbers actually went up a little (never got over 100)

On the second internal US, the nurse really poked and prodded, looking for anything. My uterus was clear, but she found a mass that was not moving in my right tube. I still had no pain. I was sent to surgery that day. They found the mass in my right tube, but had to remove the whole tube because of the damage.

I have no faith in the shot since it did nothing for me, not even a side affect, which I guess is good, but makes me think it's not that effective.

Good luck to you, it's a tough situation to be in. The waiting is the worst. But good news, after surgery I got my period like normal (32 day cycle) and we can start trying again now. I've been dealing with this situation since January, so I know how you feel.
BabyWatch
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby bwilli » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:06 pm

I had the meth injection - actually twice. My HCG levels had gone to 51,000! My levels hadn't gone down enough in the first week after the first injection, so I had to get a second injection.

I had also lost faith in my doctor and the care I was receiving. I never saw anything on ultrasounds (six ultrasounds). I felt my doctor was overreacting after my FIRST ultrasound at about 5 weeks when she recommended termination and discouraged a second opinion. I wanted to avoid any surgery with this doctor out of fear that she would overreact again and I may have lost a tube.

At any rate, my side effects were mild. I was really tired and had mild naseua. However, I received the injections in February and my HCG levels have just gotten to zero. I never thought it would take this long to get un-pregnant.

Overall, I would recommend the shot versus surgery if you are able to choose. I just didn't want to go under anethesia with someone I didn't trust and who could possibly take away future options. I think it depends on how much faith you have in your doctor. The shot wasn't bad for me - it just takes longer to resolve your situation so you have to be patient. I guess you just have to weigh the pros and cons. Long term health vs. quick fix is the way I considered it.

I hope this helps.

Beth
bwilli
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby dover » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:33 pm

Thanks for your feedback. I did get the shot this afternoon (after a horribly traumatic experience at the doctor with a doctor who literally did not even remember that he had seen me before...when he had met with my husband and I last Friday to discuss my failing and possible ectopic pregnancy!!) At this point I am just relieved to have it over with, but I never thought I would feel so sad. The real killer is that my brother's wife is delivering their firstborn as I write this, so while I'm really happy to be a new aunt, it is making me even more sad about our loss.
dover
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby bwilli » Thu May 15, 2008 1:35 pm

Dover,

Just checking on you...how are you doing after the shot? This affected me so much that I just have to check in every now and then...

Beth
bwilli
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Ectopic Pregnancy