Waiting to Miscarry Naturally Once Again (After being misdiagnosed with a miscarriage, and then losing the heartbeat)

For women waiting to miscarry naturally

Waiting to Miscarry Naturally Once Again (After being misdiagnosed with a miscarriage, and then losing the heartbeat)

Postby Dani Ella » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:23 pm

Decided to post over here...as waiting to miscarry naturally after being misdiagnosed with a miscarriage at 10 weeks 4 days as our baby was measuring 5.4 mm without a heartbeat seen, declining the D&C I was being sent off to do and waiting to miscarry naturally, heartbeat then found a week later at 11 weeks 4 days, followed another week later by no heartbeat once again and being rediagnosed with a "missed abortion" at 12 weeks 4 days.

You can read what has happened up until now in my post in the Misdiagnosed Miscarriages section of the forum:
"11 Weeks 4 Days and Our "Missed Abortion" Has a Heartbeat!!!!"
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=315658

Today I am 14 weeks and still waiting to miscarry . It is now 10 days since the scan where there was no heartbeat seen once again.
-----------------------------------------------------------

I really don't know what that was all about....
Today started out with a bang....actually a "pop" rather than a bang.

I woke up this morning at about 5:30 am. Just after opening my eyes, I felt like something inside went "pop", and then an immediate sensation of being drenched down below. I thought that the sac must have broken and the miscarriage had started.

I raced to the loo (toilet) as fast as I could. I was soaked in bright red blood through the panty liner (which had no hope of containing the flood!), undies, PJ's and managed to "decorate" my bedding etc as well. I continued to bleed heavily on the toilet for a few minutes. I told H (who was also up) what happened. Strangely enough, he asked how I felt, and I told him I felt OK, no pain, just the bleeding. H managed to round up some fresh clothes for me I requested (too scared to leave the toilet!).

However, after just a few minutes and a good clean up, and a super thick pad, the bleeding actually stopped! Back to only red spotting on loo paper.

45 minutes later, I felt another gush & raced for the loo. Heavy red bleeding again, which also stopped after just a few minutes. And even with all the bleeding, there wasn't any pain, and certainly didn't miscarry anything...no sac, no baby, no placenta, nothing. I still thought this must be the start of the miscarriage though, and asked H not to go all the way to the Synagogue he usually goes to on Shabbat this morning (45 min. walk away), as I didn't want to be on my own with no phone contact & our almost 2&1/2 year old B, if for some reason I needed help. So he went to a synagogue nearby with an early minyan (service) at 6:30 am (which is also shorter being so early).

H returned and asked how I was... Nothing since he'd left...only spotting on loo paper. And have continued all day with nothing but spotting on loo paper all day.

So I have no idea what all that was about, but whatever it was, it certainly wasn't the miscarriage I'm supposed to be expecting. 14 weeks today, and still waiting.... Everything closed today (Shabbat/Saturday) except emergency services (and this wasn't an emergency thankfully!), so will wait until tomorrow to contact my doctor to let him know about the bleeding.
Dani Ella
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Waiting to Miscarry Naturally Once Again (After being misdiagnosed with a miscarriage, and then losing the heartbeat)

Postby Shirl1976 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:09 pm

Hi lovely. Hope youre ok. X
Shirl1976
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Waiting to Miscarry Naturally Once Again (After being misdiagnosed with a miscarriage, and then losing the heartbeat)

Postby Dani Ella » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:43 pm

Thanks Shirl 1976. I am OK, thank G-D, but I have just arrived home today from hospital where I have been since the early hours of Monday morning.
Here's what happened. It may take several replies to post it all.
---------------------------------------

After the problems of gushing blood (with no pain) early Saturday morning, the rest of Saturday and all day Sunday until night-time were pretty uneventful. I had red spotting on loo (toilet) paper only.

I contacted my doctor the next day, and asked if perhaps the bleeding was due to the hematoma. I was told it could be, but only an ultrasound would tell for sure. I planned to have an ultrasound the next day on Monday morning.

Then late Sunday night, bleeding started again. When the bleeding didn't stop, I began to wonder, "How much blood can you lose before it's dangerous? If I fill a pad in less than 5 minutes, should I go to emergency?"
I was not in any pain whatsoever, but had been bleeding heavily for nearly an hour and a half. Like someone has turned a tap on & off, on & off (but never actually off).
Had spent most of this time on the toilet. Gushes and gushes of red blood and some blood clots too. Seemed that the miscarriage had started.
No contractions at all, and no pain.
H had gone to bed saying to wake him if it was urgent.
I woke him saying I thought I needed to go to hospital.
He got dressed and was going to go with me, but then we decided as I was feeling OK, that it would be better if he'd stay home with our daughter B rather than disturbing her from her sleep. I would take a taxi to hospital.

Filling a pad in less than 5 minutes was an understatement. Think thick organic cotton night-time pads, filled and overflowing like a baby's soggy overnight nappy!

So H went back to bed saying to wake him if an emergency. I never managed to get my act together to get dressed and out the door and take a taxi. I had such heavy bleeding that I couldn't manage to get away from the toilet, and was also losing clots etc., and the clots were getting bigger. I put a few of them in a bag to take with me to hospital. Still wasn't in pain, but what a mess! Tried to clean up a bit to go, but felt suddenly like I would faint. Called H and sat back on the toilet with my head down.

H got dressed, went and got my MIL's car, put B in the pram, and had to find me clothes as I couldn't get off the toilet and stand up. Somehow managed to dress. H helped me down the stairs to the car. It's a miracle I didn't faint. He brought B down and put her in the car and we went to hospital.
Dani Ella
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Dani Ella » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:16 pm

By the time arrived at emergency, the bleeding actually started to let up, and I started to feel a bit better.

Got sent up to the labour ward for an ultrasound.
Ended up with 3 people having turns, the last one a doctor who also did a rough internal exam without asking permission to check if I was dilated. None of the 3 could work out what was actually in the sac, and also said I had a mass on or in my cervix.
I guess not surprising with being in the middle of a miscarriage.
Doctor said I needed to be admitted and then would go to the high risk pregnancy ward. he wanted another ultrasound in the morning.

Went down to admissions, but there were no beds. I ended up finding a nice quiet spot outside the day clinics, and camped out there, near some nice clean toilets until 7:15 am when things would start for the day. H took B home and tried to get some sleep. I had moments of feeling better and moments of feeling like I would pass out. Finally around 8:30 am, I was given a temporary bed in the ladies emergency section (which was quiet and enough to try to rest.

Finally got sent for the ultrasound, this time with the head of the gyn department.

He also said he didn't know what he was seeing, and said there was a mass in the sac which he said he didn't know what it was.

He said that the miscarriage was in progress, but wouldn't send me home even though I was feeling better as he said that I had heavy bleeding (which was nothing like the flood before I arrived at hospital), and if I went home, it could get worse again and I would need a blood transfusion.

He said I needed a very careful D&C, and wanted it later same day. I agreed to the d&c at this stage. I knew I had lost a lot of blood.
Dani Ella
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Dani Ella » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:23 pm

D&C was scheduled for around 6, but at around 3 pm, was told they didn't know if it would happen today (this was on Monday) as there were more urgent cases. Finally, after 6 was told it would happen today.

So at around 7:15 pm was wheeled into the operating room and given anaesthetic for what should have been a very short time, less than 15 minutes.

When I woke up I couldn't understand what was happening. I was covered in tubes and couldn't get up, not even to go to the toilet.

I didn't understand what had happened, I have a vague memory of H telling B to say goodbye and leaving, but don't remember them being there.

I kept saying I needed to get up and go to the toilet, but was told I couldn't. There was a balloon and also a catheter, and I wasn't allowed to stand up
They told me, "Don't you know what has happened? I was told I had been given 2 containers of blood, and told some other things in Hebrew that I didn't understand.

In the morning I talked to H who told me that the short D&C had turned into a 2 hour operation, that I had been given blood transfusion and he didn't really understand what happened either.

Finally got to talk to the Dr who explained that as soon as they started the operation, I started to bleed heavily again and they gave me a total of 4 containers of blood, 2 during the operation, and 2 more since then. The operation was complicated, and the placenta had gotten stuck and was difficult to remove.

My blood pressure was very low with the top number being 80, and my haemoglobin was very low at 6.2)
Dani Ella
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Dani Ella » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:30 pm

Tuesday, the day after the D&C, my blood pressure normalised, haemoglobin went up to 8.5, and finally got a bed in the ladies ward around 11:30 am. :-) I had been in the recovery room all night long and all morning with all the beep beep beeps around me. Despite that, there was one advantage of being in the recovery room: if I was cold and asked for a blanket, they gave me a nice warm blanket (they keep them warmed up there). :-)

When they transferred me to the ladies ward, I lost many of the attachments to my arms, but still had a drip and potassium which was low, and still had the tubes and balloon below. Late in the afternoon, they removed the balloon and catheter, and I was able to get up and walk around. It was so good to feel "free " again! :-)

And with being able to walk around and move, I started having contractions as my uterus starts to shrink back to normal size. Not pleasant, but a good sign that my body is starting to recover. Yay! :-)

One thing that I am sure helped, and maybe the reason I managed to arrive at hospital concious despite the extremely heavy blood loss, and maybe the reason the bleeding slowed down quite a bit was taking high doses of vitamin C.

Just after I called H, and immediately sat back down on the toilet with my head down, I had an incredibly dry feeling in my mouth and I think I was going into shock. I asked H to bring me a glass of water with a squeeze of lemon juice in it, and 2 vitamin C tablets (which were 1000 mg each). While I was sitting on the toilet with my head down, I drank that, then again had another drink with another 2000 mg vitamin C before I managed to somehow get dressed, and again as I had that dry feeling and also like I would pass out before I was able to stand up to get down the stairs to the car with H's help. I also asked H to put the whole bottle of Vitamin C in my bag to take with me to hospital.

I continued taking the vitamin C, 2000 mg each time, through the night and all morning until 12 pm when had the ultrasound with the department head and decided to have the d&c.
Dani Ella
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Dani Ella » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:34 pm

After decided to have the d&c, I was fasting until after the operation, no eating or drinking, so no vitamin C all those hours. The only thing I had eaten since the night before was about a quarter of a rice cake in the morning (even rice cakes don't taste very nice when I am pregnant!). But had been drinking plenty of water and taking the vitamin C. While I was taking the vitamin C, my bleeding had slowed down to just the amount of a normal period flow.

When they started the operation, the bleeding immediately went back to extremely heavy. After I woke and finally was with it, some time in the early hours of the morning, I asked for my belongings. Finally got them around 3 am. When I could manage to sit up enough, I drank some water and took 2000 vitamin C. I got told off by the nurse, but I said I needed it, and took it anyway. I had had 3 bags full of blood dripped into me,.and they were starting a 4th one.

I continued taking the vitamin C, and when I was able to sit up, I ate a kiwi fruit that H had brought me the day before. He arrived while I was in the middle of the ultrasound, and had brought me some fruit from home, but as I was on a fast after that, I never got to eat it.

I got told off by the staff in the recovery room, was told I shouldn't be eating and that I was on a drip. But I ate the kiwi anyway, and told them that right now this is what I need to help me get better. I also took my co-enzyme vitamin B and a magnesium tablet (H had brought me the day before as well) along with the vitamin C. Boy did they get upset! They told me off in no uncertain terms, that I shouldn't be taking any medicine, that my blood pressure was low and what I took might make it lower, etc, etc. I told them that these were vitamins, not medicine, that vitamins never killed anyone, and that I needed these vitamins to recover. After I had started taking the vitamin C again, my bleeding again slowed down to that of a period flow, and by afternoon, no more bleeding into the bag attached, and they removed the tubes and balloon.

Forgot to mention that I had heard from the doctor of integrative medicine who helped us several years ago, that vitamin C strengthens capillaries and can help make them strong so that you won't bleed easily. There is also information I had heard and read about Vitamin C therapy.

Thank G-D for that information, as it may actually have helped save my life. I should have gone to hospital sooner with all that bleeding, but as I wasn't in any pain, I waited too long. I thought I had time, but with the blood loss, it suddenly hit me when I felt like fainting and was going into shock. I really think that the vitamin C made a huge difference and prevented me from passing out from the blood loss.
Dani Ella
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Dani Ella » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:50 pm

Early on Wednesday morning, I saw the doctor on his rounds in the ward. He said my haemoglobin had dropped from 8.3 Tuesday night to 7.9 (was 8.5 Tuesday morning). He wanted me to have another 2 containers of blood transfusion before I go home that same day.

The good news is that my haemoglobin rose to 10.8 Wednesday night :-)

Was supposed to be able to go home that same day after the 2 containers of blood.
But we waited all morning for the blood to arrive, and didn't arrive and start the first one until 12:20. Then it went very slowly, had issues with seepage and having to change the place it goes into my veins, needed a pressure bag as the blood was thick and didn't flow well.... Then had to wait for the second one to arrive, and didn't finish until almost 6 pm.

Then had to wait several hours for another blood test and the results didn't arrive back until after 10 pm. By then the doctor on duty wouldn't let me go home.
So I had another night in hospital.

Thank G-D, I am home now. :) I got to come home on Thursday morning. :)

I have a lot to be thankful for.
I am alive, we have our daughter B, H still has his wife, and, yes, B still has her Mummy! I have tears streaming down my face as I type this.

And yes, thank G-D for blood transfusions and I am thankful to all the blood donors that donated their blood so it was available when I needed it (Never thought I would need a transfusion...not something I'd ever planned on experiencing!)

I am OK, thank G-D. A bit sore and bruised , and things like going upstairs make me tired. But otherwise I am fine and recovering pretty well all things considered! I am still bleeding, and sometimes it gets a bit heavier again (but not nearly as heavy as it was!!!!) and it gives me a scare, but then it slows down again. It's going to take a while for the wound from where the placenta was removed to completely heal. And I have to really watch that I don't pick up B or do anything too strenuous. I'm trying to rest (which is hard as I'd rather be up doing everything, but I know that while my head thinks I can, my body isn't yet able to). Thank G0D I have had very supportive friends and a fantastic MIL close by who have brought me food in hospital, fed H & B and offers of help.

Had my brother-in-law (BIL) & his family here in Jerusalem over Shabbat. My SIL and nieces came and picked B up and took her to the playground yesterday & today picked her up and took her to feed the "meh meh goats" and ducks at a nearby HS with an agricultural area, and then to synagogue where H looked after her so I could rest all morning. :)

We have friends who cooked us a Shabbat meal and dropped it off so we wouldn't have to cook for last night, and today we ate at my MIL's (just down the road) with BIL and his family, again so didn't have to prepare a big meal.

So lots to be thankful for.
Dani Ella
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Postby Kay » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:01 pm

Oh my goodness, just catching up on all of this. Huge, huge hug for you! Keep monitoring your hemoglobin as well to make sure it stays up. I struggled with severely low hemoglobin (would go below 5!) and had to go through years of infusions. Really praying for you! Huge hug!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Postby Dani Ella » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:48 pm

Thanks Kay.

Good news: my haemoglobin today (just over 2 weeks since the miscarriage & D&C) is now 13.7!!!! Hematocrit is 40.1. :)8 And my iron levels, including stored iron (ferratin) are all great!  

Got told yesterday by my family doctor who looked at my hospital report and ordered the complete blood count and iron tests to eat liver (which I can't stand! Yuck!). I told her that I had beef on Shabbat, and that I've been eating a LOT of spinach, and that I am taking an iron supplement. She told me that spinach won't help, that it's just Popeye that thinks it would.

Well, Popeye, eat your heart out! Obviously something is helping! Whether it's the spinach or the supplement or the beef (a couple of times a week, but not every day (Still waiting for morning sickness to wear off, & I still can't stand chicken or fish and had even gone off eggs which I'm still not very keen on, and had just 1x last week...the jolly pregnancy nausea still hasn't gone away, although it has improved slightly   :(T ), or a combination of everything...and I've been cooking in the cast iron frying pan, which also might be helping, ....I'm just happy that at least that part of my recovery has gone really well. And I bet my family doctor will be surprised when she sees the results tomorrow!!!

The bad news is that I'm still bleeding. :( In fact, after about a week of spotting on toilet paper only, it's gone back to a flow again a couple of days ago, now the third day, just on panty liners, but still red (& sometimes a bit more purple-red with little clots). I'd really like to see an end to the bleeding.

I got in touch with the private OB/Gyn and asked her about the bleeding, now more than 2 weeks after the D&C. She says that due to the problems removing the placenta, it makes sense that it's taking a longer time to heal. She says to give it a further 2 weeks, and hopefully by then the bleeding will have stopped. So at least that's reassuring, as I didn't know if bleeding this long might have meant something wasn't right. Guess I will just have to be patient...and praying that the healing will happen the way it should & bleeding will stop soon!
Dani Ella
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Expectant Management