Before_Sunrise's Story - Diagnosed Blighted Ovum. Baby Found!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Before_Sunrise's Story - Diagnosed Blighted Ovum. Baby Found!

Postby Before_sunrise » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:02 pm

Hi everyone,

For the last week I’ve been glued to this forum reading all of the incredible stories that you have so kindly shared, and they truly helped me go through my own ordeal which I can now share as well, hopefully this can help someone else out there.

So a little background, my husband and I have a 17 months old son who was conceived after trying for 2 years during which time I had to remove a cyst on my ovary, struggled with PCOS which caused extremely irregular cycles. Finally with the help of fertility drugs we got pregnant with our son and it was a very smooth pregnancy.

On November 14 I got a positive hpt. We were shocked as we were not trying this past month and never imagined we would be able to get pregnant naturally given how hard it was the first time. But once we got over the shock we were excited and thought this baby is meant to be. I wasn’t tracking my cycle and my cycles tend to be long and irregular. However we only had sex one time that month so I calculated that I was about 13 or 14dpo on the day of the hpt. Next day I went to get a blood test to confirm which came back at 56. 2 days later went for a second blood test that came back 157. Number tripled so doctor said great come back for ultrasound in 2 weeks.

On Dec 1, I had my first ultrasound, at 6 weeks 2 days according to my calculation. This scan showed an empty sac measuring 14mm. No yolk sac, no embryo, no fetal pole, nothing. The doctor told us it is likely a blighted Ovum and I would probably miscarry or I can opt for a D&C procedure. He did want to do a follow up ultrasound in one week just to confirm, but he was quite pessimistic and kept saying he is extremely fearful that it will not be a good outcome. We were shocked, devastated, and confused. The next week was agonizing, I had no cramping no spotting no signs of Miscarrying whatsoever. I was feeling more nauseous and tired each day, I literally thought I was going crazy because I just couldn’t understand why I was feeling so pregnant if there is no baby. During this week I found this site and the countless stories on here gave me hope but I was at the same time afraid to get my hopes up.

On Dec 8 i go for my second ultrasound. I was so anxious I couldn’t sleep the night before. After the technician was scanning for what seemed like forever, she said to us “ would you like to see the screen?” I managed to blurt out “oh is there something to see?” Then she turned the screen to us and we saw our baby and it’s heart beating away! I immediately burst into tears and cried for the next 15/20min. The baby measured 7 weeks 3 days with heartbeat of 146bpm!! This is right on track with my original calculation. The gestational sac measured 21mm (14mm the week before so grew by 1mm per day which is textbook) The doctor was shocked he has no explanation as to why nothing was seen the week before. He says technician must have done something wrong.

So for those of you out there who are going through the same thing, don’t lose hope! Get follow up ultrasounds you just never know! Early ultrasounds are not reliable!
Before_sunrise
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Before_Sunrise's Story - Diagnosed Blighted Ovum. Baby Found!

Postby Kay » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:24 pm

I am just so happy for you! Your story brought tears to my eyes because I remember too well that feeling when they found the heartbeat. I couldn't stop crying.

I hope you keep us updated on you. Congratulations!!!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories