Mashael's Story- High hCGs, Bleeding - TWINS FOUND!!!

Have you had a misdiagosed miscarriage? Please share your stories here.

Mashael's Story- High hCGs, Bleeding - TWINS FOUND!!!

Postby Mashael » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:14 am

Thank for this chance to educate each other on our experiences.

This started when I had a light vaginal bleed one Sunday evening. We went to the ER just to be sure nothing dangerous was going on. The ER took blood tests and did a vaginal and abdominal ultrasound. My hcG was at 14,000 but they said they could not find a baby.

The doctor then came in and said "You've had a miscarriage." Not "possibly" but said it was definite.

His justification was that with such high hcG there should have been something "visible" on the ultrasound. I was immediately scheduled to see an OB and was told to prepare to take medication at that doc visit that would expel the fetal tissue and was sent home.

We were devastated. UNTIL... during the days off my employer gave me considering the situation that I looked up information on hcG levels and vaginal bleeds. I located a research article that stated in their study 80% of women who had vaginal bleeding did NOT have a miscarriage.
That article was titled: "Vaginal Bleeding in Very Early Pregnancy" by E.W. Harville. It is available to read online.

I also read other women's stories about misdiagnosed miscarriages and IMMEDIATELY called a friend of mine to get a recommendation for a new doctor.

At that doctor's office, they calmed my fears and took a beta hcG. That result showed my hcg level was still rising !!! and they called me to come in immediately the next day to have a full exam.

After that exam we found that the pregnancy was healthy
AND NOT ONLY THAT... BUT WE ARE HAVING TWINS !!!

That was the reason for my very high hcG level and the reason they couldn't find the baby's 2 weeks before at the ER was because apparently my uterus is tiled AND is higher than normal in my abdomen.

BOTTOM LINE LADIES: You know your body. Trust your instincts and get a second and even third opinion if you must.

A light vaginal bleed is not enough to tell you you've had a miscarriage. You have to get at least 2 hcg levels taken and at least 3 days apart. Also, you need to have at least 2 ultrasounds to confirm presence of a fetus. And also, it helps to ask your doctor if your uterus is tilted or not.

Our bodies can be just as unique as our very different personalities.

With Love,

Mashael
Mashael
<b> </b>
<b> </b>

Re: Mashael's Story- High hCGs, Bleeding - TWINS FOUND!!!

Postby Kay » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:40 pm

Wow! What an exciting find! I can only imagine how thrilled you are! Please, keep us updated! I am just so happy for you!
-------------------------------
To read my own Misdiagnosed Miscarriage stories:
my blighted ovum scare
Told I was miscarrying at 12 weeks

Blogging on Misdiagnosed Miscarriages
If you are being diagnosed with a blighted ovum after IVF, please take a look at this article I put together: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage After IVF
and why I just believe a blighted ovum should NOT be diagnosed before nine weeks at the earliest and the UK's new guidelines support this

This post is for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace information given by your physician but rather intended to supplement that information.
Kay

Remembrance Jewelry, Memorial Keepsakes
My Forever Child

Return to Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories